PDA

View Full Version : Refreshing Cue sheets

Philip Meyer
2004-08-16, 04:57
I've just started to use cue sheets when ripping albums to mp3 format. I have a couple of questions about the implementation:

1. If I change the content of a cue sheet file (eg. if I have changed the filename of the .mp3 file and need to change the reference, or update the performer or song titles) and refresh the Slimserver music library, should I expect the music library to be refreshed? It appeared that my changed have not been refreshed when I did this earlier today; I think I had to do a complete "Wipe Cache" for the changes to be noticed.

2. When I browse/play an album that is defined by the cue file in slimserver, the songs are not in track number order. The reason for ripping to a single mp3 file was to avoid pauses between tracks, but it defeats the objective if I can't play them in the correct order! It appears to be using artist order. Is there any way to force "track number ordering" with cue sheets? In particular I have a 3-CD multi-disk set, so I have 3 .mp3 and .cue files. I would like to play all songs in CD and then track order. I suppose I could reorder all of the tracks when they have been added (but there are 50 tracks!) and save this as a playlist.

3. The single-file and split tracks are both listed in the album browser. When I add the album to the playlist, both are added, so I actually get two copies of the album.

3. When I browse albums, I get one album listed instead of "(n of 3)" - the "treat multi-disk sets as multi-albums" setting doesn't seem to work. Perhaps I need a sfv file (never created one of those before - what's the format?).

4. Are there any nice media player applications for Windows XP that understand cue sheets? WMP and WinAmp both don't seem to notice the .cue files. Most of the time I use a standalone player on my PC. Perhaps I should use SoftSqueeze more :)

Perhaps this will be easier to manage with the new development work that is going on to use a better back-end database schema? If so, I can wait ;)

Phil

Jason Holtzapple
2004-08-16, 08:02
Philip Meyer wrote:
> 2. When I browse/play an album that is defined by the cue file in slimserver, the songs are not in track number order. The reason for ripping to a single mp3 file was to avoid pauses between tracks, but it defeats the objective if I can't play them in the correct order! It appears to be using artist order. Is there any way to force "track number ordering" with cue sheets? In particular I have a 3-CD multi-disk set, so I have 3 .mp3 and .cue files. I would like to play all songs in CD and then track order. I suppose I could reorder all of the tracks when they have been added (but there are 50 tracks!) and save this as a playlist.

I use a bit of a trick to play multiple-disc cues in order. For instance, if the first disc
has 20 tracks - for the second cue file I start the TRACK numbering at 21. As long as both
cue files have the same PERFORMER AND TITLE it should work.

> 3. The single-file and split tracks are both listed in the album browser. When I add the album to the playlist, both are added, so I actually get two copies of the album.

Remove any tags from the mp3 file.

> 3. When I browse albums, I get one album listed instead of "(n of 3)" - the "treat multi-disk sets as multi-albums" setting doesn't seem to work. Perhaps I need a sfv file (never created one of those before - what's the format?).

I don't know if this feature works with cue files...

> 4. Are there any nice media player applications for Windows XP that understand cue sheets? WMP and WinAmp both don't seem to notice the .cue files. Most of the time I use a standalone player on my PC. Perhaps I should use SoftSqueeze more :)

There used to be a plugin for Winamp2, and I'm sure foobar2000 does the right thing.