PDA

View Full Version : Transcoding on Sheeva plugcomputer works

raven22
2010-04-16, 04:30
I read postings in different forums that transcoding on the Sheevaplug does not work because the processor does not have floating point calculations.

Well the guys over at Tonido (www.tonido.com) managed to get the transcoding to work, so now i can play my .flac library over the internet via a nice webinterface. Soundquality over my desktop computer speakers is quite good.

The Tonido software for the Sheevaplug is not free, but is in my opion money well spend and enhances your plug quite a bit.

So maybe it should also be possible to get the transcoding to work via SBS.

truehl
2010-04-16, 23:10
Hi Raven,
maybe I get something wrong but I play FLACs with my SheevaPlug since month! So I can't understand the problem?!

Greetings Thomas

raven22
2010-04-16, 23:29
Playing .flac with your squeezebox of course is no problem since the squeezebox supports flac.
But suppose you are away from home in a hotel, or at friends and you want to stream your music to the hotel or friends house. In that case the bandwidth of the internetconnection is probably not enough for flac and you need to transcode to mp3. This was supposed not to work on the sheeva due to the absence of floating point calculations.
Now with the Tonido software i can play my flac's away from home just via a webbrowser, no other software required. So basically any computer with internetconnection will do.

truehl
2010-04-17, 01:30
Playing .flac with your squeezebox of course is no problem since the squeezebox supports flac.
But suppose you are away from home in a hotel, or at friends and you want to stream your music to the hotel or friends house. In that case the bandwidth of the internetconnection is probably not enough for flac and you need to transcode to mp3. This was supposed not to work on the sheeva due to the absence of floating point calculations.
Now with the Tonido software i can play my flac's away from home just via a webbrowser, no other software required. So basically any computer with internetconnection will do.

Yes Raven, you are right but I think some folks, reading such posts may think that playing FLAC with a SheevaPlug is not possible, and that's not true! FLAC, ALAC, WAV, MP3, Ogg, and a lot more (all I know) formats are supported by SheevaPlug.

Some more questions about Tonido:
- Did you install the Tonido SW to your NAND?
- Is it possible to install it on a Debian squeeze based system like my SqueezePlug?
- Does the Tonido SW and SBS work fine on a SheevaPlug?
- Is there a possibility to test the Tonido SW?

Greetings
Thomas

raven22
2010-04-17, 07:13
Some more questions about Tonido:
- Did you install the Tonido SW to your NAND?
- Is it possible to install it on a Debian squeeze based system like my SqueezePlug?
- Does the Tonido SW and SBS work fine on a SheevaPlug?
- Is there a possibility to test the Tonido SW?

Greetings
Thomas

1- No, but it is possible, then you need a USB or SD-card for the data, otherwise you might run out of space.
2- Yes, i do it that way, the Tonido software comes as a .deb file which is easy to install with dpkg -i
3- Yes, they both run fine (together) on my sheevaplug
4- yes the tonido software for your pc (running windows or linux) is free, only for the sheevaplug they charge $30 but it includes websharepro (with full webdav support) application.