PDA

View Full Version : Basic question re:choosing stream?

Ikabob
2010-04-14, 03:06
Under the new V7.5.1 software there is a Now Playing option to choose the radio stream. Why would anyone choose a lower bitrate (for example 32 kps) which is less reliable than a higher bitrate (example 256 kps) which is more reliable and a stronger stream ( audio quality) ?

(I still miss the "save to favorites" option.)...but I LOVE the Squeezes!

alfista
2010-04-14, 03:29
Under the new V7.5.1 software there is a Now Playing option to choose the radio stream. Why would anyone choose a lower bitrate (for example 32 kps) which is less reliable than a higher bitrate (example 256 kps) which is more reliable and a stronger stream ( audio quality) ?

I fail to se why the lower bitrate would be less reliable, rather it should be less sensitive to wireless dropouts and other intermittent problems. So I guess I would try a lower bitrate if I got rebuffering problems due to slow and/or dodgy internet connection.

Kevint
2010-04-14, 03:52
I would probably choose the lower bit rate if I had the choice, because my broadband speed is quite poor. The lower bit rate will reduce the chance of rebuffering/stuttering.

Kevin

usch
2010-04-14, 03:57
I still have no idea what the "reliability" of a stream is supposed to mean. All streams of my favorite station show "10% reliable", but I don't think that means that they are likely to fail for 90% of the time. In fact, I never had any connection issues when listening.