PDA

View Full Version : Does one need router for SB3?

gdg
2010-04-13, 12:36
I'm about to sell my wired SB3 but it occurred to me that I may have a use for it if it can be plugged directly into the eternet port of a PC. Is there any need for a router if I have an ethernet port available?

snarlydwarf
2010-04-13, 12:46
I'm about to sell my wired SB3 but it occurred to me that I may have a use for it if it can be plugged directly into the eternet port of a PC. Is there any need for a router if I have an ethernet port available?

It can be, you can probably use Internet Connection Sharing... of course, when you turn off your computer it will be useless.

pski
2010-04-13, 15:29

Another alternative is a "switch" rather than a router. Think of it as a six-plug tab (like power) except for ethernet connections.

If you have dsl/cable, your modem is probably giving out ip addresses so you could plug the modem, PC, and SB3 into the switch.

P