PDA

View Full Version : Do not upgrade to 7.5

GoCubs72
2010-04-13, 08:28
Since I didn't see a thread about 7.5 challenges, I wanted to make sure that those with a Boom that use Pandora/Slacker with mysqueezebox DO NOT upgrade to 7.5 unless you are feeling lucky or hear otherwise. I have a Duet, 2 Radios and a Boom and all of them have been affected as follows:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=76938

I called Support since I thought it was a one off issue with me, but after seeing the above it's obvious many people are affected. Unfortunately, Support had not heard of these issues, but it looks like it's consistent and I don't want anyone to waste a weekend as I did trying to resolve.

SuperQ
2010-04-13, 17:34
Have you tried downloading 7.4.2?

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeboxServer_v7.4.2/

You don't need to start a new thread when there is already an open bug for an issue.

GoCubs72
2010-04-13, 17:50
SuperQ - interesting response. But, I am aware of this, thank you.

You obviously misinterpreted the point of my note. The purpose of my note was to save others the time and aggravation i endured by installing buggy firmware.

As for the bug, I could see if a timer was missed or something, but the point of the device is to play music - which this bug prohibits.

alfista
2010-04-14, 00:48
But 7.5.0 did not contain any firmware upgrade for the Boom so your conclusion seems a bit off the mark. The problems reported in the thread you refer to were most likely caused by the MySB instability that occurred last week.

GoCubs72
2010-04-14, 06:30
Alfista, incorrect. All of my SBs, including the Boom, requested update. This is a wide spread well known issue that has rendered many SBs to be bricks.

I've reposted link to thread:

maggior
2010-04-14, 07:07
It depends on what version you are upgrading from. Just last night I upgraded from 7.4.2 to 7.5.0 and none of my SB devices updated their FW except for the controller.

aubuti
2010-04-14, 07:19
It depends on what version you are upgrading from. Just last night I upgraded from 7.4.2 to 7.5.0 and none of my SB devices updated their FW except for the controller.
That's right. Take a look at http://update.slimdevices.com/updates. Between 7.4.2 and 7.5.0 the fw is unchanged for all of the IP3K-based devices: Boom (50), SB2 & SB3 (130), SBR (65), and Transporter (80). Only the SqueezePlay-based devices (Radio, SBC, Touch) had fw updates between 7.4.2 and 7.5.0.

snarlydwarf
2010-04-14, 07:26
Alfista, incorrect. All of my SBs, including the Boom, requested update. This is a wide spread well known issue that has rendered many SBs to be bricks.

Oh, please.

"Slacker plays one song then stops" is hardly a brick.

(In fact it may very well have NOTHING to do with firmware on your players but more likely changes at MySB.COM and/or slacker Your overstatements of the problem only detract for making a proper diagnosis.)

garym
2010-04-14, 07:26
agree, my booms, transporter, & duet did NOT request an upgrade. I was running 7.4.2 before upgrading to 7.5.

brucegrr
2010-04-14, 07:28
Yeah, I was actually surprised when I updated to 7.5 I thought something was wrong. No firmware update? :)

Bruce

Ben Sandee
2010-04-14, 07:31
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 8:30 AM, GoCubs72
<GoCubs72.49eunb1271251921 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Alfista, incorrect. All of my SBs, including the Boom, requested
> update. This is a wide spread well known issue that has rendered many
> SBs to be bricks.

Hyperbole isn't helpful, it just makes you look uninformed. Your
devices aren't "bricks" if the symptoms are what are described in
those threads.

Ben

maggior
2010-04-14, 07:50
Yeah, I was actually surprised when I updated to 7.5 I thought something was wrong. No firmware update? :)

Bruce

...and no rescan of my library! It was by far the smoothest and fastest update of squeezebox software I've ever done!

alfista
2010-04-14, 08:08
It depends on what version you are upgrading from.
True, but this was about a Boom on MySB and then it would already have the FW that came with 7.4.x, hence no upgrade.
As for the linked thread, it's not only about an unrelated problem, it's about a different SB.

Muele
2010-04-14, 08:36
Op: 3/10

Phil Leigh
2010-04-14, 10:18
Since I didn't see a thread about 7.5 challenges, I wanted to make sure that those with a Boom that use Pandora/Slacker with mysqueezebox DO NOT upgrade to 7.5 unless you are feeling lucky or hear otherwise. I have a Duet, 2 Radios and a Boom and all of them have been affected as follows:

I called Support since I thought it was a one off issue with me, but after seeing the above it's obvious many people are affected. Unfortunately, Support had not heard of these issues, but it looks like it's consistent and I don't want anyone to waste a weekend as I did trying to resolve.

Thanks for your helpful input.
2/10

brucegrr
2010-04-14, 10:45
Oh, please.

"Slacker plays one song then stops" is hardly a brick.

(In fact it may very well have NOTHING to do with firmware on your players but more likely changes at MySB.COM and/or slacker Your overstatements of the problem only detract for making a proper diagnosis.)

Correct. Some of us can remember "slacker not playing correctly" as a pretty common occurrence.

I think people often expect too much from the whole process of playing music. As long as networks and the internet are involved.....there are going to be times when songs don't play, signals are dropped, servers time out,servers are off line,congestion etc. it is just a fact of life.

The issue is overall reliability. If an end-user is looking for 100% up-time perfection.....they are not going to be happy.

A problem with Slacker is rarely a Squeezebox problem. Most every problem I have ever had with Slacker (or any internet music source) is due to a problem on Slacker's end.

The hardware, software are an easy target when things don't go right but often they not the problem.

Bruce

bundee1
2010-04-15, 05:54
The nightly build fixed the faad.exe issue and my ALAC files have played for 6 hours without a hitch.

GoCubs72
2010-04-15, 06:21
Guys, let's be constructive. Some of the responses completely contradict the guys at slimdevices on their own bug tracker (see below). I won't go through the line items, but it'll be pretty obvious when you look at their feedback.

So - back to constructive....IF you are having issues with 7.5 and the stream stops playing, please take 2 min, sign up and vote here. This was the first time I have done so and have been some immediate responses from the (legacy) slimdevices team. This is the only visibility they have to the challenges:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16046

Bug: 16046

snarlydwarf
2010-04-15, 07:49
Guys, let's be constructive. Some of the responses completely contradict the guys at slimdevices on their own bug tracker (see below). I won't go through the line items, but it'll be pretty obvious when you look at their feedback.

So - back to constructive....IF you are having issues with 7.5 and the stream stops playing, please take 2 min, sign up and vote here. This was the first time I have done so and have been some immediate responses from the (legacy) slimdevices team. This is the only visibility they have to the challenges:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16046

How does that relate to your Boom?

The cited bug is filed against the radio.

GoCubs72
2010-04-15, 08:15
dwarf, see below from slimdevices. Also, my devices are all sync'ed. The obvious point is there's an issue.

Ben Klaas 2010-04-14 06:50:25 PDT

Pascal, that is terrible advice from Logitech support, and I'm sorry for that.

There are enhancements for all platforms in 7.5.0. You should accept the
upgrade.

HectorHughMunro
2010-04-15, 09:07
Going from 7.4 to 7.5 with a Duet and a Touch, this has been a very smooth upgrade. It's faster and more stable too.

rgro
2010-04-15, 09:59
Going from 7.4 to 7.5 with a Duet and a Touch, this has been a very smooth upgrade. It's faster and more stable too.

+ 1 on that! 7.5 has worked without any problems for me---running Duet, only, on a 100% wireless setup. It's stable, solved the wol issue, and the upgrade to both the controller and SBS software took a few minutes each, and went flawlessly.

Note: I'm not any kind of programmer, technoid, or anything...my tech knowlege of all this stuff is average, at the very best. Mostly, I do what the s/w tells me to do and then just enjoy the music. Truly, this Squeezestuff has completely revolutionized our home music environment/experience! And, like most of our other technology/internet stuff, it works great about 98% of the time. It's not 100% perfect, but it is excellent and has truly enriched our lives.