PDA

View Full Version : Radio v. Boom????

nolesrule
2010-04-13, 05:58
Happy SB3 user here looking to expand.

I want to put a SB player with speakers in my home office. Since I want something with a speaker, it's down to the Boom or the Radio.

I have no need for the alarm for this use. It's going to sit only a few feet away from me. I'll be listening to all sorts of music including classical.

So I guess my question is, which one should I get?

Is the second speaker of the Boom worth paying about $70 more?

I appreciate your thoughts, and hope for some quick answers as the online prices seem to fluctuate daily and I'm ready to pull the trigger based on current price points.

aubuti
2010-04-13, 06:20
I have both, and can say without hesitation that I think the better sound from the Boom is worth at least $70. I also prefer the Boom's VFD screen to the Radio's LCD. I find the Radio's LCD too small -- that size works for the SB Controller, but for a table top device I'd prefer something larger.

pfarrell
2010-04-13, 07:35
aubuti wrote:
> I have both, and can say without hesitation that I think the better
> sound from the Boom is worth at least $70.

I also have both, and I much prefer the sound of the Boom over the
Radio. Not that the Radio is bad, but the Boom sounds better to my ears.
I don't think of the stereo of the Boom as all that important, but the
stereo effect is audible.

The Radio sounds fine. The Boom's sounds makes you think "gee, how can
something that small make such good sound?"

Of course, my Transporter feeding my main stereo sounds much better than
either the Boom or the Radio

All just IMHO, trust your own ears.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

snarlydwarf
2010-04-13, 07:39
Since my radio sits about 18" away from me, the single speaker is fine. The "takes less desk space" is a bonus for the radio.

Overall, both products are great, though.

fragfutter
2010-04-13, 07:51
i bought a boom for the bathroom. To much boom ;) It got replaced by a Radio. So i second snarlydwarf, depends on distance and roomsize.

nolesrule
2010-04-13, 08:17
Since we're talking room size. It's an 8x10 home office. The SB unit will be within arm's reach on my computer desk, off to one side.

I don't have speakers on the computer to prevent annoying my wife with various sounds from video/audio editing to games. When I need the sound, I use some gaming headphones. I've been using Squeezeplay on the computer (incidentally, it's also my SBS since my old Linux box died of hardware failure a few months ago).

I just don't want to wear headphones anymore just to have the music going. I'd much rather have a dedicated device.

So, that's pretty much all the details and how I plan to use the thing.

signor_rossi
2010-04-13, 08:38
I have only the Boom, so I can't compare them directly, but I wanted to add that the Boom is smaller than you might think at first (and sounds great, but we all agree on that already :-) ).

maggior
2010-04-13, 10:35
It sounds to me like you will be close enough to the device to perceive the separation of the stereo channels, so the Boom would be a good choice. Also, with it being a larger room, it will fill the room with sound better.

I don't own a Radio, but I've read that is doesn't have the punch of the Boom.

FWIW, the Boom is also rock solid stable since it is based on the tried-n-true SB3 (aka Classic) technology.

socistep
2010-04-13, 13:59
I own both and to me the Boom is much the superior sound, I have that in my upstairs office and recently added a cheap subwoofer which has improved the sound.

The radio is in the the kitchen and is decent enough but not at the same level audio wise, I bought it as it was smaller and would be portable for usage in the garden.

JJZolx
2010-04-13, 14:22
I have both, and can say without hesitation that I think the better sound from the Boom is worth at least $70.

Ditto. It's not even close. The Radio has no real advantage other than portability if you put a battery into it.

Edit: If you want really good sound and are willing to pay for it, skip both and get a Touch and a nice pair of powered speakers such as the Audioengine A5s.

ajkidle
2010-04-13, 17:53
Boom Boom Boom, no doubt about it. The Radio is cool as a glorified bedside alarm clock, but for music listening the Boom runs circles around it.

nolesrule
2010-04-13, 19:13
OK. I think I'm seeing a consensus here..

Looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the Boom shortly. My SD-branded SB3 will finally have a sibling.

maggior
2010-04-13, 19:33
My SD-branded SB3 will finally have a sibling.

That's when the trouble starts. It's a DISEASE!! :-).

Slackerini
2010-04-13, 22:51
I was in a similar position and ended up getting the Radio. The Boom is great (friend has one), but I opted for the portability of the Radio. Now that I have a battery installed (finally), I take it out in the back yard or into my kids room.

dennis55
2010-04-14, 04:22
if it's to sit on your desk i'd get the Radio,audio performance is good and it doesn't take up much room......the battery really does free this unit to be a proper portable radio......unlike the Boom.

dennis

signor_rossi
2010-04-14, 04:40
Edit: If you want really good sound and are willing to pay for it, skip both and get a Touch and a nice pair of powered speakers such as the Audioengine A5s.

You can fill quite large room with this combination (i had A5s in use for my mom but she now got a (heavily discounted :-) ) Boom because it is easier to operate with its hardware buttons and her room is quite small) and if he sits only a few feet away with no possibility to place the A5s at least 1,5 meters away from each other this is certainly overkill and way more expensive. The boom is compact and portable and he can use it without much hassle in other rooms of his house if he got a WiFi access point.

nolesrule
2010-04-14, 05:57
Well, I ended up going with 1 Radio and 1 Boom for a grand total of $353 shipped. One will be for my office, the other will be used in a bedroom. Not sure if it will be my bedroom or in one of my girls' rooms.

I justified it when I found out how much my tax refund would be. Now I just have to break the news to the wife.

fragfutter
2010-04-14, 10:41
welcome to the dar side. The force will spread with you.

Dbalt
2010-04-17, 08:50
Ditto. It's not even close. The Radio has no real advantage other than portability if you put a battery into it.

If you're looking for a less expensive, more compact set-up I'd get the Touch with A2s. They're smaller, cheaper and sound great. I have this in my bedroom (12x15ft) and sounds great. The Boom and Radio might be great for portability but this is the coolest, best sounding, cost effective system I can imagine.

pski
2010-04-19, 19:41
Well, I ended up going with 1 Radio and 1 Boom for a grand total of $353 shipped. One will be for my office, the other will be used in a bedroom. Not sure if it will be my bedroom or in one of my girls' rooms.

I justified it when I found out how much my tax refund would be. Now I just have to break the news to the wife.

Good choice. Boom + computer sub (or real sub) = super.

BTW: kid's have no idea what stereo is.

P

nolesrule
2010-04-19, 20:33
I should have them tomorrow. My SB3 will be lonely no more.

nolesrule
2010-04-20, 13:37
Got them and had the Boom up and running in my office on the network in no time. Setup was as easy as the SB3. The hard part was finding an outlet to use near the switch so I could run it wired.

I had it synched with the SB3 for a little while running my filtered Random songs via Dynamic Playlists. Then I decided to switch to some classical. Sounds good for the size.

The Radio will have to wait till I have some free time later today or tomorrow.

Ikabob
2010-04-20, 15:09
[QUOTE=nolesrule;534225]Happy SB3 user here looking to expand.

So I guess my question is, which one should I get?

Is the second speaker of the Boom worth paying about $70 more?

Each and every SBplayer has it's place and each is awesome. I love mine. I have a radio and a Boom and, yes, the Boom is worth much more than the extra $70. I vote for the Boom in your office too. Oh yes, you may find your work productivity suffering in your office.

Woops! Just realized you had made your decision....and a VERY good choice and a great price for both. Now you'll just have to get a discount code and get that battery package. The portability of the radio is very convenient. Hopefully you have an itouch so you can then get the app ipeng which really makes controlling your players very cool. I hope your tax refund was real large...you might need the SBTouch too. Enjoy the awesome Squeeze system! Congratulations.

nolesrule
2010-04-21, 11:27
I now have the Radio set up in the bedroom. It also was a piece of cake to set up, even over wireless. And I must say it sounded great in there.

Now I just need to set up a good bedroom music playlist to convince my wife that the purchase was acceptable. ;-)

Ikabob
2010-04-21, 13:47
Nolesrule, I know what you are talking about when you say " convince the wife that it was a wise purchase". I had that same fear... At first... But after she heard some of HER favorite music and in the excellent fidelity, she actually asked me to order another player for another room which really opened the door for future purchases. Now we have multiple players and we enjoy music everywhere. We use Rhapsody plus lastfm.com to introduce us to new music selections...many of which are her choice ;-). And we are living happily everafter in Squeezeland. Please keep us informed.

pfarrell
2010-04-21, 13:50
Ikabob wrote:
> ... she actually asked me to order another player for another
> room which really opened the door for future purchases. Now we have
> multiple players and we enjoy music everywhere.

This is actually a very common story. SqueezeBoxen live in flocks, and
want to have lots of their kin near them. You start out with just one,
and soon, you have a second and a third and ....

Which is why I've bought three SB1, a Transporter, Duet, Boom, Radio,
and Touch, and have talked a half dozen friends to start their own
flocks of SqueezeBoxen.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

maggior
2010-04-21, 13:56
Nolesrule, I know what you are talking about when you say " convince the wife that it was a wise purchase". I had that same fear... At first... But after she heard some of HER favorite music and in the excellent fidelity, she actually asked me to order another player for another room which really opened the door for future purchases. Now we have multiple players and we enjoy music everywhere. We use Rhapsody plus lastfm.com to introduce us to new music selections...many of which are her choice ;-). And we are living happily everafter in Squeezeland. Please keep us informed.

It's funny, my brother had the same exact experience. I think some people need to experience the device in their home to fully understand what it can do. He bought a duet at my suggestion, though his wife was skeptical. She was won over after her music was loaded onto it and she had a chance to play with it. After I demoed a Boom there for them, she was instantly sold. Now they have a baby on the way. Guess what's included as a necessary accesory for the baby's room - you got it, a Boom!

nolesrule
2010-04-22, 06:28
Guys, the concept of additional SBs was never the problem. Just having to spend the money.

Like I said at the top, I've had a Slim Devices branded SB3 as part of our living room setup for 3+ years. We use it all the time. When the TV isn't on, the SB3 usually is, whether for active listening, background music or NIN's "Closer". ;-) Yeah, I know, TMI.

She handled it well. Probably helped that the same day I told her about the SB purchase she got a Kate Spade bag on clearance...which normally retails for the price of a Boom. Expensive purses are her weakness.

It looks like I'll be using the Boom's remote with the Radio. I don't need it with the Boom, because 1) it's in reach and 2) it's in my office so I'm always in front of computers with easy access to the WebUI, Moose, Squeezeplay or any other way i want to control the thing.

But the Radio is actually out of arm's reach for now because of available electrical outlets.

Ikabob
2010-04-22, 06:37
Did you say "electrical outlets"?....for the radio???... Time to order the radio battery. :-)
Tell her to get a small purse.... or promise her some "nin-nin" anywhere. ;-)

maggior
2010-04-22, 07:01
...she got a Kate Spade bag on clearance...

I'm happy to say that I have absolutely NO idea what that is. :-)

Boys have their toys and girls have, uhm, bags and shoes and stuff.

nolesrule
2010-04-22, 07:06
I do plan to pick up a battery for it sooner or later, but since it'll be in the bedroom most of the time it might as well be plugged in. The problem is too much stuff already plugged into the most convenient outlet. 2 X10 controlled lights, an X10 controller clock and a sleep number bed.