PDA

View Full Version : How to save a radio station to favorites w/ 7.5?

Ikabob
2010-04-10, 14:57
There seems to be no option to save a new radio station to favorites while listening. Am I just missing something? Thank you .

united59
2010-04-10, 15:57
While listening to a stream, just press the "back-button" (left) and then "More" (+) and then you'll have the option to add to favorites.

Ikabob
2010-04-10, 18:15
Thank you. I never knew that .

Ikabob
2010-04-10, 18:40
I tried that sequence and the playlist gets cleared. This is with the small remote on the Boom. I think I misunderstood something.

usch
2010-04-10, 19:12
No, the tip was probably for the Radio where the + button brings up the context menu. That doesn't work on the Boom.

IIRC there used to be a favorites option when you pressed the right arrow button on the Now Playing screen, but that got lost in SBS 7.5 since they are now displaying the useless Radiotime menu instead of the SBS menu. :(

united59
2010-04-11, 01:09
Sorry, I meant on the Controller remote.

toby10
2010-04-11, 04:51
It gets confusing because the same buttons on different players perform different functions.

From Now Playing screen, arrow back and hover over the selected station, then..

For Boom: quick press of KNOB
For Radio: press & hold KNOB or press "+"

..all sequences should offer "Save to Favorites"

usch
2010-04-11, 05:57
Yes, but that works only if you haven't done anything else since you started the station.

If you access any other menu or even press only the Home button, there is no way back.

Ikabob
2010-04-11, 06:14
It gets confusing because the same buttons on different players perform different functions.

From Now Playing screen, arrow back and hover over the selected station, then..

Can this be done via IR remote? Thanks.

toby10
2010-04-11, 06:17
Yes, but that works only if you haven't done anything else since you started the station.

If you access any other menu or even press only the Home button, there is no way back.

Yup. Which is why we need the "Save to Favorites" back from the NP screen. :)

I'm just offering what workarounds I know of till they fix what they broke. ;)

usch
2010-04-11, 06:37
Ah, ok. We need the whole menu back, not only "Save to favorites". :) There used to be technical information, too, like the station's URL and bitrate. What they should have done is to add the radiotime menu to the original NP menu, instead of replacing it.

I wonder when they sneaked that change in. I've been using 7.5 beta for quite some time, but I only noticed the changed menu after the code freeze.

Ikabob
2010-04-11, 07:03
Yes, we definitely need the whole menu back. But how? It is a major loss in function IMO .

toby10
2010-04-11, 07:13
Ah, ok. We need the whole menu back, not only "Save to favorites". :) There used to be technical information, too, like the station's URL and bitrate. What they should have done is to add the radiotime menu to the original NP menu, instead of replacing it.

I wonder when they sneaked that change in. I've been using 7.5 beta for quite some time, but I only noticed the changed menu after the code freeze.

I completely agree! The new RadioTime context menu is neat, I like it's additions. But lacking the most basic of station info (like you said, bitrate and format) is just plain silly.

Even the "choose a stream" is neat, where you may be offered like four different streams (at different bitrates) to choose from.
But this is POINTLESS information if I do not know which of those streams I am currently connected too.

My suggested options:
1. put the More Info tab back
2. put stream info (bitrate & format) as the first two context menu items, then offer me "You may like" etc..
3. when I hit "Choose a stream" but a bullet or short note next to the stream I am currently playing

Any one of the above would solve the issue, I'd prefer both 2 & 3 myself.

BTW: This change only affects RadioTime streams, all other streams are just as before offering bitrate & format info.

toby10
2010-04-11, 07:33
Yes, we definitely need the whole menu back. But how? It is a major loss in function IMO .

Ya know, all of this was fine until Ikabob came along, hmmmm..... ;)

Having *no* inside information, my guess is that RadioTime wanted to add these cool new functions and the Logitech team implemented these changes while dealing with (read: overwhelmed with) Radio & Touch release, SBS and MySB updates, MySB connection issues, etc.. so some basics were left to future enhancements. Just a guess.

BTW: If you select "Choose a stream", hover over your choice (highest bitrate more than likely), "Save to Favorites" is offered as I described earlier. :)

pippin
2010-04-11, 10:12
Having *no* inside information, my guess is that RadioTime wanted to add these cool new functions and the Logitech team implemented these changes while dealing with (read: overwhelmed with) Radio & Touch release, SBS and MySB updates, MySB connection issues, etc.. so some basics were left to future enhancements. Just a guess.

7.4 had some "fake" context menu for streaming xmlBrowser items because the "real" ones weren't working. In 7.5 these got removed and the "real" ones fixed, obviously this one got missing.

manik
2010-04-28, 22:04
Hi,

I'm a new user and hooked up my Duet just 2 days back. I was constantly feeling the need to add Internet radio stations to Favorites list, but couldn't find the option in the Menu that comes up if you click the "+" button on Controller while you're on Now Playing. Searching the web got me here, and this workaround worked like a charm, Thanks united59!

While trying to find the Favorites option though, I ran into this strange behavior. I added Shoutcast & a couple of other Radio networks. When I search for Stations from inside any of these apps and play the station, I do see "Add to Favorites" on the Now Playing popup menu. Clicked it and added a favorite. Then went back and checked the Favorites list and the station did indeed get added. But when I switch off the Receiver and switch it on later, the Favorites that were added are gone, and the list is empty. Has anyone else observed this?

Model: Duet
Controller software version: 7.5.0 r8673

toby10
2010-04-29, 04:10
........ I added Shoutcast & a couple of other Radio networks. When I search for Stations from inside any of these apps and play the station, I do see "Add to Favorites" on the Now Playing popup menu....

The correct behavior of Add to Favorites from the Now Playing screen will work on any stream that is not coming from RadioTime.
It is only the RadioTime feeds that do not currently do this correctly, this includes everything in the Internet Radio menu item.

Why your added Favorites are not showing up in your Favorites menu I cannot say.
Are you sure you are looking for them on the correct server? You maybe be switching between SBS running on your computer and MySB.com the online server.
Favorites saved on one will not be seen by the other.

manik
2010-04-30, 06:58
Are you sure you are looking for them on the correct server? You maybe be switching between SBS running on your computer and MySB.com the online server. Favorites saved on one will not be seen by the other.

Yes, you're right. I found those Favorites when I wasn't able to connect to mysqueezebox.com this morning, and switched to the Squeezebox Server. Thanks for that tip. I'm actually a new user so still getting the hang of the Squeezebox architecture. And frankly, I didn't know you could connect to the local SBS for Internet radio too, I somehow had in my mind that you'd want to connect to your own server when it's serving you something (Locally stored music). I do realize now that those menus are also being served by SBS/mysqueezebox.

Thanks again!

Nonreality
2010-04-30, 22:00
It really seems to me that when you want to save an radio station it should be smart enough to ask you where you would like to save it? Is that asking too much? Maybe you want to save it to favorites but then again maybe to internet radio stations. I'm not sure what makes it so hard but then again I'm just a user and not a programmer so I'm sure there is a reason. It would sure be nice if you could choose. This is not a big complaint,just wondering why it doesn't work that way. I just seem to read this same thing week after week and have never been presented with a reason why it doesn't work that way.

Milesse
2010-08-19, 07:10
When will "Save radio station to favorites" be back?
... I have a duet and have spent the last 4h trying to find a way to save nice radio stations. Now I found a really strange way to save them in this post, but is this really an accepted solution from Logitech? WHO on earth will find out this if not reading this post?

Nonreality
2010-08-20, 20:49
It really seems to me that when you want to save an radio station it should be smart enough to ask you where you would like to save it? Is that asking too much? Maybe you want to save it to favorites but then again maybe to internet radio stations. I'm not sure what makes it so hard but then again I'm just a user and not a programmer so I'm sure there is a reason. It would sure be nice if you could choose. This is not a big complaint,just wondering why it doesn't work that way. I just seem to read this same thing week after week and have never been presented with a reason why it doesn't work that way.

Anyone know why this isn't possible?

Milesse
2010-08-22, 06:17
Anyone know why this isn't possible?
I suspect (more n more after reading this forum) that the guys developing SB are more enthusiastic engineers than people understanding how a decent GUI should function ... I love A LOT of the SB GUIs and all the different SBoxes but we need a fully working product now, not BETA-release after BETA-release for years!

latimer
2010-12-20, 12:50
I agree with you that it's done very awkwardly.
What I found is that I can't add a station to favorites which is currently playing but if I do the following steps from the home menu
Internet Radio -> Search -> enter a search term -> select a station
pressing '+' now brings up a menu to save to favorites.

It is a nuisance to do it this way but at least it's possible.
My suggestions would be:
1. Have a way to add an already playing station to favorites.
2. Have a search function like the one on the controller also on the web interfaces.
3. Have a case insensitive search on the controller (who the heck thought of this awkward long search list with upper and lower case characters?)

Triode
2010-12-20, 14:57
Yup. Which is why we need the "Save to Favorites" back from the NP screen. :)

I'm just offering what workarounds I know of till they fix what they broke. ;)

Yep there's a bug in the context menus - is there a bug id raised for this?