PDA

View Full Version : Headphones/Touch

Dbalt
2010-04-07, 15:59
Does anyone know if I can leave wireless headphones connected to the Touch (and powered speakers) and switch between the two without unplugging the headphones? I would think so. Then I could just leave headphones connected all the time and turn them on when I like.

JohnSwenson
2010-04-07, 16:41
Plugging headphones into the headphone jack does not turn off anything else. You can have headphones, analog out and digital out all running simultaneously.

The one thing you can't do is have separate volumes between them, the headphones get the same volume as the analog outs.

John S.

Dbalt
2010-04-07, 17:20
It would be good if you could switch (via duet controller or web remote) between headphone output and other outputs, sort of like the headphone switcher app for the duet controller.

jstraw
2010-04-07, 19:29
Plugging headphones into the headphone jack does not turn off anything else. You can have headphones, analog out and digital out all running simultaneously.

The one thing you can't do is have separate volumes between them, the headphones get the same volume as the analog outs.

John S.

Is having the line and/or digital outs not be subject to volume control a user configurable setting?

JohnSwenson
2010-04-07, 21:08
Is having the line and/or digital outs not be subject to volume control a user configurable setting?

No its not. The way its setup right now both the digital and analog outs are fed from the same stream. It would take a rewrite of the squeezeplay output code to generate two streams, one full volume and one attenuted.

The hardware can handle it, they get fed from separate ports on the processor, but I'm not sure if squeezeplay was designed for that.

I think there is already an enhancement request for this.

John S.

JohnSwenson
2010-04-07, 21:13
It would be good if you could switch (via duet controller or web remote) between headphone output and other outputs, sort of like the headphone switcher app for the duet controller.

I'm pretty sure its theoretically possible to turn off the headphone output because it has to be turned off when the jack is used for IR blasting. But there is no way to turn off the analog outs AND still have signal going to the headphone jack. The same DAC chip drives both and there is no switch between the DAC and the analog outs, thus you can't turn them off.

It should be possible to switch between the digital out and the headphone jack because the digital out and the DAC come from different hardware ports, but that would take some significant rewrite of squeezeplay.

John S.

jstraw
2010-04-07, 21:36
No its not. The way its setup right now both the digital and analog outs are fed from the same stream. It would take a rewrite of the squeezeplay output code to generate two streams, one full volume and one attenuted.

The hardware can handle it, they get fed from separate ports on the processor, but I'm not sure if squeezeplay was designed for that.

I think there is already an enhancement request for this.

John S.

I would just prefer the option to send an external amplifier a straight, line level signal.