PDA

View Full Version : New to Squeezbox/ touch need advice

gellie
2010-04-07, 12:43
not that the release seems pending, I need advice on a good 500gb+usb drive to connect to the Touch. Also how do i "move" my ripped music from my mac to the usb drive? Thanks

active_mann
2010-04-07, 13:35
Hi Gellie,

The Western Digital My Book Essential Edition USB hard drives use a vertical fanless case; they are silent and inexpensive. I've been ripping to one for several months and it's worked perfectly.

Good luck with your project.

JJZolx
2010-04-07, 13:59
not that the release seems pending, I need advice on a good 500gb+usb drive to connect to the Touch. Also how do i "move" my ripped music from my mac to the usb drive? Thanks

If you want to avoid another plug and power adapter, you'll want to use a 2.5" drive, most of which can be powered by the Touch's USB port. If you want a larger 3.5" drive then it must power itself. If you can, I would recommend waiting a while for feedback from other users as to which currently produced external USB drives are known work with the Touch. I was in on the beta testing and have a 2.5" drive (Apricorn) that only sometimes works.

If you want to leave the USB drive attached to the Touch, the Touch will share the music folder over the network so that you can add, delete and modify music files in your library across your home network. Of course you also just plug the drive into another computer to manage the library.

garym
2010-04-07, 14:03
I typically buy whatever BestBuy happens to have. I've used Seagates, Maxtor, Western Digital, and several other brands. I've been lucky in that with 10 or so external USB drives, I've never had a failure in the time I've used them. My oldest in use is probably 5 years old. I wouldn't go with 500GB. A 1TB is probably only $20 or 30 more.

Get one that works with either MAC or Windows and you're set. For copying over, simply hook it to your MAC and use your file manager to copy over. Not familiar with copy commands within MAC, but in windows there are ways to do directory copy with all sub-directories and error checking.

cooppw02
2010-04-07, 14:13
Those are 2 good questions. Most current model external drives seem to be 1TB and up. Lacie models seem to be well-regarded and also look pretty.

Personally, I buy a bare drive and enclosures separately. It's a good way to get some decent features, ensure you get a quality drive, and keep the price down. The only difference from buying off the shelf is that you'll also have to format it, which isn't difficult. Newegg has a ton of options.

As for tools for copying, I use Grsync. It's perfect for this use: you specify a source directory and a destination directory, and it takes care of the rest. It compares the source and destination, and only copies those files that don't exist in the destination folder.