PDA

View Full Version : SB3 vs. Duet

DavidPHumes
2010-04-07, 11:55
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum!

I have been slowly putting together a stereo for the last 6 months or so. I have all of the big components but as of now have been using my laptop as my source. It works just fine, but is cumbersome and obviously not well integrated. What I want is something like a Squeezebox to stream everything wirelessly (I have a server loaded with FLAC anyway) and create a more integrated system. First off, my system as it stands now:

Peachtree Audio Decco
McIntosh MC2205
Magenepan MMG
Cardas Tweeter Attenuators
Paul Speltz Anti-Cables

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/David343/IMG_8190.jpg

I'm a college student right now and work at Best Buy. I get an excellent accommodation through Logitech as a Best Buy employee and the price of a Duet and SB3 (off of, say, eBay) is about equal. After browsing the forums for the last couple days, I've noticed most people have the SB3 despite the fact it is significantly older. Is there a good reason for this? I'm not really worried about the DAC as my preamp has a very good built in DAC that I will be using anyway. I sit about 10 feet from my stereo so I really don't need to have a screen on the remote, but it would be cool I'll admit. I also don't really have any need right now for Internet music streaming, so I don't mind if that functionality it not present. What is the communities general opinion on this?

Or, should I wait for the Touch (ha)?

pfink
2010-04-07, 12:05
I'm a college student right now and work at Best Buy. I get an excellent accommodation through Logitech as a Best Buy employee and the price of a Duet and SB3 (off of, say, eBay) is about equal. After browsing the forums for the last couple days, I've noticed most people have the SB3 despite the fact it is significantly older. Is there a good reason for this? I'm not really worried about the DAC as my preamp has a very good built in DAC that I will be using anyway. I sit about 10 feet from my stereo so I really don't need to have a screen on the remote, but it would be cool I'll admit. I also don't really have any need right now for Internet music streaming, so I don't mind if that functionality it not present. What is the communities general opinion on this?

Or, should I wait for the Touch (ha)?

If you're going to use an external DAC then it probably doesn't matter which one you go with. The only other differences would be the display on the SB3, and also you can control other devices with an SB3 using an IR Blaster.

Both have identical functionality as far as Internet streaming goes, as that's actually handled by the server software.

mbowling
2010-04-07, 13:16
HI've noticed most people have the SB3 despite the fact it is significantly older. Is there a good reason for this?
I have also been looking at the Duet and SB3/Classic players. I decided to go with the Classic because of: 1. The lower price. 2. It can be controlled with my Harmony IR remote. I want to use one remote for all my components. Like you, I also sit in the same room with the system so the Duet's wireless controller wasn't worth the extra money for my situation.

iPhone
2010-04-07, 13:28
I would order a Touch. It gives you 24/96 native, is the latest and greatest, and if feeding an external DAC is the better Coax Digital out source. If not the Touch, I would buy a Classic. Just my opinion and what I would do with your setup.

Question: how is the fireplace and wall cutout affecting the Maggies soundstage?

DavidPHumes
2010-04-07, 15:18
I would order a Touch. It gives you 24/96 native, is the latest and greatest, and if feeding an external DAC is the better Coax Digital out source. If not the Touch, I would buy a Classic. Just my opinion and what I would do with your setup.

Question: how is the fireplace and wall cutout affecting the Maggies soundstage?I think that's what I'm going to do now that it was finally released...

The Maggies are adversely affected if too close but they're almost 3.5 feet from the wall so they're more than isolated enough from their surrounds. Soundstage is fantastic. I plan to get treatments at some point but thus is college...

iiaudio
2010-04-07, 18:52
off topic, I know, but that's a nice system you got going!! Enjoy the Squeezebox experience!!!

eeagle
2010-04-07, 19:09
I have both. Each has its advantages. If you plan to use an external DAC both should provide an equal digital audio signal. The Duet Controller shows album art and is of course rf which are pluses. The SB3/Classic has an IR remote that I actually like better, simply because I can get directly to an alphabetical selection at the push of a button rather than scrolling which takes a while on the duet if one has many albums. The real clincher though is the neat "VU Meter" screen saver the Classic has, that reminds me of the old receivers of days gone by....the transporter has these as well.