PDA

View Full Version : Possible to run Squeezebox Server as a service (Win 2k8 x64)

pookguy88
2010-04-05, 16:27
I just started my Slimdevices collection and installed the server software last night on my win 2k8 box. Problem is that the server seems to only run when my administrator account (the one I installed server to) is logged on. Is there a way to make it stay on permanently? Such as making it a service?

Any tips?? thanks!

mherger
2010-04-05, 20:32
Use the SBS control panel to change the startup preference. Please note that there's a bug in 7.4.x if you want to run it as some user. 7.5.0 would fix this. Or have it run as the default system user if you don't want to access remote file sources.

pookguy88
2010-04-05, 22:41
so I changed the start up to automatically run at system start and I made a user called 'squeezebox' specifically for it and used that as the log in but it doesn't seem to work. The service won't start, is that the bug you're talking about? What do you mean by 'some' user? What's the default system user? Sorry I'm a n00b :(

mherger
2010-04-05, 22:56
> so I changed the start up to automatically run at system start and I
> made a user called 'squeezebox' specifically for it and used that as
> the log in but it doesn't seem to work. The service won't start, is
> that the bug you're talking about? What do you mean by 'some' user?
> What's the default system user? Sorry I'm a n00b :(

Just don't enter any user and try again.

--

Michael

pookguy88
2010-04-06, 07:33
got it, thanks!

bruce
2010-04-08, 16:28
Thanks for the info. This tripped me up when I moved my server to a system that has user accounts, too. Shouldn't the default be to automatically start at system startup?

mherger
2010-04-08, 21:53
> Shouldn't the default be to
> automatically start at system startup?

Decision by our user experience team. I didn't like it. But it seemingly reduced the number of related support calls.

--

Michael