PDA

View Full Version : anyway to control touch from remote pc?

firedog
2010-04-05, 04:59
I understand the touch doesn't have the web ui included as a feature. So there is no way to control the Touch wirelessly from a remote PC such as a laptop?

I'm asking b/c I'd like the 24/96 capability, but play music without being close enough to "touch the Touch"?

Not talking about ipeng here, I'm talking about control from a remote PC. Would there be a "remote desktop" that could work with the touch?

garym
2010-04-05, 05:07
As far as I know, you could control it from SqueezePlay. Squeezeplay can behave as a controller (simply select the player you want to control) as well as a software player itself. I use it to control from my laptop, transporter, booms, duet receiver, etc. Don't have a TOUCH, but this should work.

pippin
2010-04-05, 05:14
Shouldn't Moose work as well?

snarlydwarf
2010-04-05, 07:27
and of course if you are using an SBS install that is -not- on the Touch, you can as always use a web browser to control that, which will control the Touch.

ie, the 'no webUI' only applies to when you plug media into the Touch and use the Touch's own server.

Merlinwerks
2010-04-05, 07:51
ie, the 'no webUI' only applies to when you plug media into the Touch and use the Touch's own server.

Would Squeezeplay work in this scenario or is it also considered a web interface?

usch
2010-04-05, 09:26
A web interface is what you access with a web browser. :)

firedog
2010-04-06, 00:59
and of course if you are using an SBS install that is -not- on the Touch, you can as always use a web browser to control that, which will control the Touch.

So no web ui applies to media found on a usb drive directly connected to the Touch and also on an inserted card?

Workaround: could I install SS on the laptop, and tell it the music files are found on an NAS (i.e, the music files are on the NAS and not on the laptop with the full SS install), define the Touch the same way (music folder is NAS), and then control the touch from the web interface on the Laptop?

Or is Squeezeplay a solution from the laptop? I didn't exactly understand the previous posts here.

Thanks

andynormancx
2010-04-06, 01:47
So no web ui applies to media found on a usb drive directly connected to the Touch and also on an inserted card?

Yes, it applies when not using your own separate Squeezebox Server.

Workaround: could I install SS on the laptop, and tell it the music files are found on an NAS (i.e, the music files are on the NAS and not on the laptop with the full SS install), define the Touch the same way (music folder is NAS), and then control the touch from the web interface on the Laptop?

Yes, that would work fine.

Or is Squeezeplay a solution from the laptop? I didn't exactly understand the previous posts here.

Yes Squeezeplay is another solution, it will allow you to run a version of the Touch UI on your laptop that can control the Touch (and any other SB player) whether or not the Touch is running without a separate Squeezebox Server.

Skinny
2010-04-06, 04:31
So there is no way to control the Touch wirelessly from a remote PC such as a laptop?
(...)
Thanks

Yes, in theory that's correct, and it may also work without a hitch. However, there is a possible issue of wireless network capacity. Assuming your NAS is wired to your network, how about your Touch? Going wireless back and forth between the laptop and and router is already 2 hops. If the Touch will be wireless (3rd hop) and you do use a lossless format then it might be pushing it a bit. Just for consideration.

It is always preferable to run the server on a device wired to the network. Have you investigated the possibility to run SBS on your NAS? You could still control it from your laptop using the WebUI or SqueezePlay.

Skinny