PDA

View Full Version : Listening to different tracks at once

gfoxcroft
2010-04-03, 14:47
I don't yet own a SB but am looking into it.

I use a Mac and in the first instance I want to put my music library on an external hard drive attached to the Mac.

If i have several SBs around the house, each can be used to listen to a different music track at the same time. But does this requite a particularly fast HD to work? Will most reasonably modern HDs cope?

Also, if the Mac goes to sleep, will the SB be able to wake it when requirred?

Thanks

garym
2010-04-03, 14:54
yes, each SB can listen to it's own song selection (even though the songs are in a single library controlled with the SqueezeboxServer software). Or you can Synch one or more players to play the exact same song with exact timing. Any basic computer, even certain lowpowered NAS products, can deal with this, you should have no issues with the MAC.

There are ways to make WOL (wake on lan) work, but I just leave my server on 24/7.

gfoxcroft
2010-04-03, 15:00
Thank you, that's really helpful.

As regards the 'waking' issue, I do leave my Mac on 24/7, but of course it goes to sleep when not used for a while. I wouldn't want to not have it sleep after a period of use.

In the longer term, I think I would put a dedicated server for the music collection into the network.

Thanks again.

PS I realise I ought probably to have posted my question onto the Beginners' section!

QUOTE=garym;530060]yes, each SB can listen to it's own song selection (even though the songs are in a single library controlled with the SqueezeboxServer software). Or you can Synch one or more players to play the exact same song with exact timing. Any basic computer, even certain lowpowered NAS products, can deal with this, you should have no issues with the MAC.

There are ways to make WOL (wake on lan) work, but I just leave my server on 24/7.[/QUOTE]

garym
2010-04-03, 15:18
search this forum for WOL or wake-on-lan. You should be able to make this work. Tends to only work if your computer is connected with ethernet. Most wifi cards don't work with WOL (a few do).

gfoxcroft
2010-04-03, 15:22
OK... I'm moving house soon and not quite sure where everything is going to go, but I might well connect the Mac to the router by ethernet rather than wifi, so this may be possible.

search this forum for WOL or wake-on-lan. You should be able to make this work. Tends to only work if your computer is connected with ethernet. Most wifi cards don't work with WOL (a few do).

garym
2010-04-03, 15:34
I strongly recommend having your computer that serves as the music server (running SbS) WIRED. Otherwise streaming music will require multiple WIFI hops. Not usually a good idea. And audio streaming is more intensive than, for example, having a laptop connected to your network checking email or surfing the web.

GeeJay
2010-04-03, 21:05
I strongly recommend having your computer that serves as the music server (running SbS) WIRED. Otherwise streaming music will require multiple WIFI hops. Not usually a good idea. And audio streaming is more intensive than, for example, having a laptop connected to your network checking email or surfing the web.

From personal experience, I strongly second this suggestion.