PDA

View Full Version : configure sleep mode fade-out time

tawulf
2010-04-03, 05:54
Hi,
I'd very much like to set the time it takes to fade-out when entering squeezebox sleep-mode.

For my purpose I would set it to zero, which effectively turns the sleep button to the woefully missing cue button; others might want to do a REAL slow fadout..

Anybody knows where this can be set?
If not - what would be the best way to bring this little enhancement request on the developers' to-do list?

tia, Thomas Wulf

peterw
2010-04-03, 14:37
Hi,
I'd very much like to set the time it takes to fade-out when entering squeezebox sleep-mode.

For my purpose I would set it to zero, which effectively turns the sleep button to the woefully missing cue button; others might want to do a REAL slow fadout..

Anybody knows where this can be set?

Take a look at my SleepFade plugin. While the UI gives three discrete choices, the logic applies the same geometric algorithm -- the difference in the three choices is that each has a different exponent value. Small positive fractions result in fading mostly at the end, so you might get something like what you want by manually setting the SleepFade rate preference to something like 0.01.

tawulf
2010-04-03, 15:59
Thanks for your answer.

I have looked at it but it just doesn't help me at all, I'm afraid.

Here is a quote from your description:

>> Because of Slimserver's built-in "last minute" fade-out code,
>> SleepFade is configured not to fade the volume when an
>> "end of this song" timer is in use.

which is exactly what I need in order to get the desired cue effect.
I guess I wasn't clear enough in my question..

('cue' means: stop playing after this title ends.
No changes in volume, just stop after the current title ends.
And, actually, I'd rather it wouldn't send the sb to sleep..
Used to be on every halfway decent cd player's remote.)

Do you think there is a chance to expand the plug-in to provide this functionality?
Or is there another way to achieve it?
How hard is writing a plug-in, on a scale of your choice ;-)

tia, Thomas

peterw
2010-04-03, 16:26
('cue' means: stop playing after this title ends.
No changes in volume, just stop after the current title ends.

Ah, thanks. You'd need a different plugin for that. I'm not sure how easy it'd be -- in the past (*years* ago), I found it tough to make a plugin notice exactly when there was a song transition, though there has been an official "newsong" notification message for a while. If that mechanism has improved, it might be pretty easy to do. But it might be easier to modify the core SBS source to make it do what you want. If your code is clean and makes fade-vs-cue an option, I think Logitech might consider adopting your code.

usch
2010-04-04, 10:42
>> Because of Slimserver's built-in "last minute" fade-out code
This has always bothered me, too. I can understand that it fades out when I set it to sleep in x minutes because that will probably be somehwere in the middle of a song. But when I set it to sleep at the end of the song, why does it fade one minute early at all? I'm sure there must be a reason for this, but I can't think of one.

As a workaround I usually add some more tracks to the playlist and then set it to sleep in 15 minutes, but obviously that does not help here.