PDA

View Full Version : Tagging classical music

martinbrewer
2010-04-01, 16:46
I must be missing something obvious, but the 'Setup browse menu for classical music' and 'Setup dynamic menu to browse music by tags' wiki articles mention the non standard custom tags "WORK" and "WORKSORT". But I cannot see how to create/populate this tag in the mp3 files using any tagging software.

Daverz
2010-04-01, 18:33
I don't think you can do it with MP3. FLAC can take any kind of tag that follows Ogg Vorbis conventions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis_comment), so I assume that the lossy ogg format can as well.

You might be able to rededicate other ID3 tags to take the WORK and WORKSORT text. Custom Tag is also able to create custom virtual tags by manipulating text in other tags.

snarlydwarf
2010-04-01, 21:25
I must be missing something obvious, but the 'Setup browse menu for classical music' and 'Setup dynamic menu to browse music by tags' wiki articles mention the non standard custom tags "WORK" and "WORKSORT". But I cannot see how to create/populate this tag in the mp3 files using any tagging software.

Most tagging software allows for 'TXXX' type "user-defined" tags.

What tagger are you using?

martinbrewer
2010-04-02, 00:34
Daverz, snarlydwarf, thanks for responding, All the XP-based tagging programs I've seen so far seem to have the tag names set in stone on the forms, with no facility for adding custom tags. I usually use EasyTag, but this evening have downloaded 'The Godfather', TagRename and mmt, I even looked at Microsoft Media Player! If a lunux solution is available then thats OK.

The problem with using 'spare' tag, or a suitably formatted 'comments' tag, is getting the custom scanner to map WORK to SPARETAG1, or even worse to parse the contents of the comments tag. Worst case I can look to FLAC though I will loose portability and disk space, though gain in quality, and I'll still have to find a 'custom tag' tagger.

It looks like my question is reducing to: 'can someone recommend a (cheap or free) mass tagger that is capable of adding custom (user defined) tags to MP3 files, that will run on XP

Once I can figure out how to add a custom tag, the next problem will be, 'am I stuck with 'TXXX' as a name or can I name the tag, is XXX variable or is TXXX the datatype and I can specify a name'. After that I can get back to listening to music. I have been googling for 'custom tags', but 'user defined tags' has opened up some more possibilities, so I'll carry on digging. Any more hints greatfully received

regards

erland
2010-04-02, 00:49
Daverz, snarlydwarf, thanks for responding, All the XP-based tagging programs I've seen so far seem to have the tag names set in stone on the forms, with no facility for adding custom tags. I usually use EasyTag, but this evening have downloaded 'The Godfather', TagRename and mmt, I even looked at Microsoft Media Player! If a lunux solution is available then thats OK.

I've used Mp3Tag and foobar but I'm pretty sure some of the other tools you mention also support it. Usually it might be hidden in an advanced menu, in Mp3Tag you right click and select "Extended tags..." and then you can either add a tag from a predefined list or write your own tag name which will result in a TXXXX tag.

The problem with using 'spare' tag, or a suitably formatted 'comments' tag, is getting the custom scanner to map WORK to SPARETAG1, or even worse to parse the contents of the comments tag. Worst case I can look to FLAC though I will loose portability and disk space, though gain in quality, and I'll still have to find a 'custom tag' tagger.

If you like to use the COMMENT tag with a specific format you can use the "Tag mapping" feature of the Custom Tag scanning module in Custom Scan plugin to map them into WORK and similar tags. The "Tag mapping" future is able to catch strings from a standard tag using regular expressions.

It looks like my question is reducing to: 'can someone recommend a (cheap or free) mass tagger that is capable of adding custom (user defined) tags to MP3 files, that will run on XP

As mentioned above Mp3Tag can do it and it's free.

Once I can figure out how to add a custom tag, the next problem will be, 'am I stuck with 'TXXX' as a name or can I name the tag, is XXX variable or is TXXX the datatype and I can specify a name'. After that I can get back to listening to music. I have been googling for 'custom tags', but 'user defined tags' has opened up some more possibilities, so I'll carry on digging. Any more hints greatfully received

TXXX is just a type of tag, the tag name will be what you write, for example WORK.

martinbrewer
2010-04-02, 15:45
Yes mp3tag does the job. When I get a workflow sorted I'll write back detailing what I've done and software used .....

regards

nolesrule
2010-04-03, 07:54
I've used mp3tag to add the recommended tags exactly as named in the walk-throughs to mp3 files (there were some classical deals on amazon I couldn't pass up) for setting up the separate classical library and menu system using erland's plugins. Works great for both FLAC and mp3.