PDA

View Full Version : Remote Streaming

Lyster
2010-03-30, 16:09
Running Squeezebox Server 7.4.2. Set up remote streaming - opened the ports on my router, as instructed. (Actually, the latest instructions say to open only 9000, but an earlier thread mentioned a second port, which I also opened.) At the remote location I open my player (Media Monkey) and run the stream. I open the webpage to the Squeezebox Server, and I am able to select the music to be played. The remote player sees the server and reports what song is to play. All seems to be working fine. Switch songs at the Squeezebox Server and the remote player sees the switch. But - no music plays. (Yes, I've checked to be sure nothing is on mute and the volume is turned up.) And the web interface to the Squeezebox Server will not click to play. The music is always "stopped." It will switch from one tune to the next or to a new playlist altogether, but it is always stopped. Any clue as to what needs to be done?

pski
2010-03-31, 10:16
Running Squeezebox Server 7.4.2. Set up remote streaming - opened the ports on my router, as instructed. (Actually, the latest instructions say to open only 9000, but an earlier thread mentioned a second port, which I also opened.) At the remote location I open my player (Media Monkey) and run the stream. I open the webpage to the Squeezebox Server, and I am able to select the music to be played. The remote player sees the server and reports what song is to play. All seems to be working fine. Switch songs at the Squeezebox Server and the remote player sees the switch. But - no music plays. (Yes, I've checked to be sure nothing is on mute and the volume is turned up.) And the web interface to the Squeezebox Server will not click to play. The music is always "stopped." It will switch from one tune to the next or to a new playlist altogether, but it is always stopped. Any clue as to what needs to be done?

Your music won't fit into your "outbound" pipe: read on.

Your current problem may be that the "outbound" speed of your broadband is not fast enough to play the "native" speed of your music. For example, most US 1.5 MB DSL has an outbound speed of only 128K. If your music is 196k, you are out of luck.

Fortunately, SBS can "compress" your music (on the fly) so you can listen remotely. (See the "lame" instructions below: media monkey will show up as a "player" you can configure just like the Softsqueeze example.)

Rather than using the "streaming method," try one of the "software players." These give a better experience because the "remote control" response is far better. Other stream players buffer the music and don't respond well to song changes.

I prefer Softsqueeze (with the SB3 skin.) If you do not want to "manually" configure it, you can install the "community Softsqueeze" plugin on your SBS. (Go to settings/plugins and go to the bottom and select "show all 3rd party plugins" and apply. Softsqueeze will show in the bottom group. Select it and apply. Restart SBS.)

With the plug-in, when you connect to the webGUI (remotely,) select the application (from Extra) and click the "install" link. (The "install" panel also makes sure your remote computer has Java installed.) This will download the program and create the useful desktop icons (and configure your destination IP address.)

This is also handy if you're somewhere else and don't have your machine with you or if you want to have a friend listen to your stuff.

With Softsqueeze running, the webUI will show a player called "Softsqueeze."
Goto "settings" and select

Players/<softsqueeze>/Audio

Change the player's audio settings to Bit rate limiting (about 128K) and Lame quality level (somewhere 3-5) and apply. (Go to someplace like bandwidthplace.com and test your connection speed. If your SBS machine is modern, set the quality level to 9.)

Windows specific instructions:

Go here and download lame. This is a program that SBS uses to convert music to an MP3 stream:

http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php

Get the first bundle called LAME 3.99.a3.

When you un-zip this there will be two files lame.exe and lame_enc.dll. You don't need the dll version at all. Put the lame.exe file in

C:\program files\Squeezebox\server\bin\MSWINxxx-blah-blah-blah

The files alac, faad, flac, and etc. are in this folder also.

SECURITY NOTE:

You should investigate settings/advanced/security/block incoming connections

With this option on, only the ip addresses entered can use your SBS. Be sure to include 127.0.0.1 and the 192.168.1.0 of your "local" in-house network.

You can get your remote ip by visiting sites like whatismyip.com and then use remote desktop/vnc to change your server settings. Again, to do this you will need to open/direct ports on your router/modem. I recommend using a different port than the default (eg. take 5999 and send it to 3389)

If not, you should use SSH or at least the settings/advanced/security username/password option.

P

Lyster
2010-03-31, 11:25
Wow... this is wonderful information and I thank you. IT WORKS. Loving it.