PDA

View Full Version : How good is the DAC in the touch ?

tank121
2010-03-30, 10:25
I currently have sb3 feeding via coaxial into a Musical Fidelity VDAC

- Analogue into my Arcam Amp.

Is the new dac in the touch going to be on a par or better ?

Your views pleaase

iPhone
2010-03-30, 10:50

Your views pleaase

The new Touch DAC on par with or better then what, the MF VDAC or the SB3 internal DAC?

It is my opinion (and the opinion of several other beta testers) that both the analog outs and digital coax out on the Touch are superior to those of the SB3. I feel the Touch will make a good standalone player through the analog outs. It will make a great Digital Transport using the digital coax out.

Phil Leigh
2010-03-30, 11:26

Your views pleaase

It's going to be close...

raven22
2010-04-06, 07:23
The V-DAC is known to improve the original digital input. If the input is of better quality the output will improve as well.
So i quess that a Touch in combination with a v-dac sounds better then a sb3 with a v-dac, assuming the Touch has a better digital out then the sb3.
I have a v-dac and sb3 as well and i am interested to know if my above assumption is true.

Phil Leigh
2010-04-06, 07:27
The V-DAC is known to improve the original digital input. If the input is of better quality the output will improve as well.
So i quess that a Touch in combination with a v-dac sounds better then a sb3 with a v-dac, assuming the Touch has a better digital out then the sb3.
I have a v-dac and sb3 as well and i am interested to know if my above assumption is true.

The Touch outperforms the SB3 via both S/pdif and analogue.

iPhone
2010-04-06, 07:42

Your views pleaase

Tank, I am still fuzzy about what exactly your question is? If you are feeding an outboard DAC, it doesn't matter one bit if the Touch DAC is better then an SB3 DAC because neither is being used.

But if the question is whether the Touch is a better Digital Transport Source then the SB3 out of the Digital Coax Output, then yes the Touch is in my and others opinion better then SB3 is for being used as a Digital Source. Plus one gets native 24/96 with the Touch.

Is this what you were asking?

Sturmhardt
2010-04-07, 07:54
The thread headline sounds interesting, but until now no concrete post to the question:

Which type of DAC is in the Touch?

To some writers above: The V-DAC is wonderfull, but "improves" nothing in some cases. It simply convertes digital to analog with a 24bit/ 192 kHz. This makes sence, because most equipment uses DAC with less bandwith. If your equipment already has this bandwith, there´s no change.

Therefore back to the question :=) What´s the DAC of the Touch??

Phil Leigh
2010-04-07, 09:10
The thread headline sounds interesting, but until now no concrete post to the question:

Which type of DAC is in the Touch?

To some writers above: The V-DAC is wonderfull, but "improves" nothing in some cases. It simply convertes digital to analog with a 24bit/ 192 kHz. This makes sence, because most equipment uses DAC with less bandwith. If your equipment already has this bandwith, there´s no change.

Therefore back to the question :=) What´s the DAC of the Touch??

It's NOT all about the DAC chip itself - the rest of the circuitry is more important, expecially the clocking and grounding arrangements. The DAC chip is just one part of the puzzle.
I can't remember what chip is in my Touch - but whatever it is, it's as good as pretty much anything else out there.

The V-Dac is an OK DAC - I wouldn't class it as world-beating. I'd be surprised if there was a massive difference between the V-DAC and the Touch analogue outputs.

Dibou
2010-04-07, 13:12
Hello
Refering to http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/HardwareComparison, the Touch's DAC is a "AKM4420, 44.1k, 48k & 96k"

Sturmhardt
2010-04-09, 12:54
@Phil: You´re right, I forgot the clock matters!!

V-DAC: I tried using V-DAC instead of internal ONKYO PR-SC886 DAC (20bit). Definitely no difference. Speakers were active Pro-Equipment (Geithain RL901).

@Dibou: Thanks for answering. VERY interesting link!!!

badboygolf16v
2010-04-09, 13:58
geithain rl901Cool speakers.