PDA

View Full Version : For Sale?

NoBite
2010-03-30, 03:14
I am surprised not to find a selling forum here! It would seem a logical idea for folks that are upgrading, or in my case, moving on to something more conventional. Before I post anything for sale, I want to ask the mods if this is acceptable.

mherger
2010-03-30, 03:33
> I am surprised not to find a selling forum here!

ebay is great for selling stuff.

NoBite
2010-03-30, 03:41
> I am surprised not to find a selling forum here!

ebay is great for selling stuff.

Yes, it is. But, if you already have an audience of aficionados, why not make them an offer they might appreciate?

Lots of sites accommodate this idea. But, I do not want to presume this one does.

Siduhe
2010-03-30, 04:19
The Logitech guys have previously said no to posting direct sales threads (it's in the signup rules), but I believe they are more relaxed about people posting a (one time) link to their ebay auction (although Michael would know more about the policy than I would):

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53491&highlight=sale+forum

NoBite
2010-03-30, 05:05
Thanks! That's exactly what I need to know. I appreciate your response and am sorry not to found that on my own.

Squeezed_Rotel
2010-03-30, 06:21
When it came time to upgrade, I sold my Duet here and got the Transporter here: http://www.audiogon.com/

MrSinatra
2010-03-30, 15:40
i think a sales forum makes a lot of sense.

i'm looking for a SBC relatively cheap, anyone got one they can part with?

mherger
2010-03-30, 22:57
> i'm looking for a SBC relatively cheap, anyone got one they can part
> with?

The cheapest I've seen on ebay today currently is at 1.50USD. A SB2 at 21.50USD. Really, ebay is the place to go. Unless you hope to get something cheaper because somebody only wants to sell to a real SB lover, who can't be found on ebay, but only here.

--

Michael

MrSinatra
2010-03-31, 00:08
well, ebay can also be a pita. i don't see a $1.50 SBC, and by the time it sells its way more than it should be. some of the prices on ebay are ridiculous, going for more than new from slim/logitech.

mherger
2010-03-31, 00:14
> well, ebay can also be a pita. i don't see a $1.50 SBC, and by the time
> it sells its way more than it should be. some of the prices on ebay are
> ridiculous, going for more than new from slim/logitech.

That's what they call "the market". Why would anybody want to sell cheaper here if he can get a ridiculous amount of money elsewhere? I know, it happens. But there's really no need for a sales forum.

--

Michael

MrSinatra
2010-03-31, 00:21
yeah, i'm american, i know "the market."

i think you misunderstand... someone could sell in the sub-forum, OR they could link to what they are selling on ebay or elsewhere, but the forum could be a clearinghouse/place to discuss any given sale, whether it was here or elsewhere. it could also be for selling related products, like speakers or amps or whatnot.

it would just be a good use of the forum, adding no cost but adding utility. but then again, i think the whole forums badly need reorganized anyway, but i'm not holding my breath.

iPhone
2010-03-31, 05:30
yeah, i'm american, i know "the market."

i think you misunderstand... someone could sell in the sub-forum, OR they could link to what they are selling on ebay or elsewhere, but the forum could be a clearinghouse/place to discuss any given sale, whether it was here or elsewhere. it could also be for selling related products, like speakers or amps or whatnot.

it would just be a good use of the forum, adding no cost but adding utility. but then again, i think the whole forums badly need reorganized anyway, but i'm not holding my breath.

Generally, I like the idea. Being directly in front of ones buying audience has advantages. Having said that, the problem is all the baggage that comes alone for the ride. As you even said, next somebody will want to sell speakers or other audio gear. Then somebody will have a car head unit for sale, then a car, and who knows what else.

Plus all the non-squeezebox folks will join the forum so they can sell their cell phones and knock-off purses, then the 'For Sale' section becomes spam city. The admins and moderators have enough to do without policing a 'For Sale' section in the Forum. With Audiogon and Ebay available and geared toward selling, the idea seems more like a non-starter. Also Audiogon has a "Wanted" section that one could place an add in, "Squeezebox Forum Member wants used SB3 at a fair price to come to a loving home full of FLAC files".

alfista
2010-03-31, 06:01
While the idea has some merit, a normal forum is a pretty poor platform for running ads, often requiring a lot of moderation effort. When not entered through a template like on proper advertising sites, ads tend to lack vital information (contact details, location, shipping options etc). And if posting replies is possible it regularly leads to heated discussions on the requested price, sometimes questioning the mental status of the seller or just as often those who object to the requested price. Or other pointless discussions in general.

Maybe a matter of definition, but I think a line in your sig with a link to an eBay auction or similar would not be violating the forum rules and work pretty well. Active posters would get more exposure, thus rewarding teh regular contributors in the community.

MrSinatra
2010-03-31, 13:13
yeah, just what are those companies that DO HAVE SUCH FORUMS thinking? where do they get off?

/sarcasm ;)

pski
2010-04-02, 21:11
While the idea has some merit, a normal forum is a pretty poor platform for running ads, often requiring a lot of moderation effort. When not entered through a template like on proper advertising sites, ads tend to lack vital information (contact details, location, shipping options etc). And if posting replies is possible it regularly leads to heated discussions on the requested price, sometimes questioning the mental status of the seller or just as often those who object to the requested price. Or other pointless discussions in general.

Maybe a matter of definition, but I think a line in your sig with a link to an eBay auction or similar would not be violating the forum rules and work pretty well. Active posters would get more exposure, thus rewarding teh regular contributors in the community.

So there's no moderation here. There is no vital information.

There are less than 10 pieces of hardware involved. Bua?

P

By the way.. It either works or a reseller has let go of a piece that never was meant to operate. If you want a list, make one.

So few are the complaints about hardware here..

alfista
2010-04-03, 06:09
So there's no moderation here. There is no vital information.

Maybe it's because english isn't my native tongue but I fail to understand your reply to my post.
I didn't say anything about how these forums are moderated today, sorry if my post could be interpreted in that way.
My experience from other forums of this type is however that they don't work well for advertising. I'm sure there are exceptions, but so far I haven't seen any.