PDA

View Full Version : Some clarity before i Touch

tank121
2010-03-29, 09:49
In prepartion before I replace my trusty sb3 with a Touch.

The touch will be primarily used with a usb hd directly.

This will mean I can sell my desktop,monitor etc.

Leaving me and the Mrs with a 17" latop and web book to share.

Currently I control the SB3 with my Logitech Harmony 525 remote.

I've recently installed a modded version of Ipeng on my Nokia 5800.

Which is quite nice but not perfect.

Is Ipeng on the Iphone and Ipod touch identical and nice and smooth, on the Nokia not all the icons etc are correct.

As my mobile contract is up soon is the Iphone a serious contender for a new phone ? Or will an android version of Ipeng be developed ?

The things that put me off the Iphone are the rip off tariffs here in the UK.
Build quality
Apparent bad reception.

Is the build quality better on the Ipod Touch.

As both Apple devices have integrated batteries is it a return to Apple to have it replaced ?

Finally would the Ipeng app been installed directly on the Touch in my scenario ?

flattermann
2010-03-29, 10:43
In prepartion before I replace my trusty sb3 with a Touch.

Good idea. :)

I've recently installed a modded version of Ipeng on my Nokia 5800.

Which is quite nice but not perfect.

Is Ipeng on the Iphone and Ipod touch identical and nice and smooth, on the Nokia not all the icons etc are correct.
There are two versions of iPeng available.

The free iPeng skin that you've used on the Nokia and the iPeng App.
The App will only run on an iPhone/iPod but is much better, because it is a real native app instead of "just" a web page.
The App has more features and is much smoother than the skin.

As my mobile contract is up soon is the Iphone a serious contender for a new phone ? Or will an android version of Ipeng be developed ?
There are several SqueezeBox Apps for Android available.

Right now, iPeng is still a bit ahead, but the Android Apps are improving. :)

Finally would the Ipeng app been installed directly on the Touch in my scenario ?
No, you do not need to install anything on the Touch.
AFAIK, the SB Touch will not include a WebUI. That means you will not be able to install the iPeng skin.
But it does not affect the iPeng App (or other native SB Apps) as it communicates directly with your server/Touch, not through the WebUI.

pippin
2010-03-29, 13:59
As my mobile contract is up soon is the Iphone a serious contender for a new phone ?

iPhone is always a serious contender for a new Phone.

The things that put me off the Iphone are the rip off tariffs here in the UK.

Buy an import from Italy or France. Factory unlocked without limitations. And then get a good tariff.

Build quality
Apparent bad reception.

Can't agree. Build quality is not too good but still better than on the various htc phones I have (hero, touch pro, MDA III). Will work for two years (my hero recently started to fall apart after 9 months but then that phone, 9 months after showing up on the market is already 4 software generation behind without an update so needs to be replaced anyway - this is a STRONG point for iPhone: the software lasts). No longer but then since my venerable 6310i no phone has worked longer for me.
Reception isn't bad for me (iPhone 3G), comparable to other phones.

That said, there are better PHONES out there than iPhone, yet no better smartphones, IMHO. Android's catching up, though.
Battery lasts longer than for all the competitors I've tested so far (an old SonyEricsson M600i, htc hero, htc touch pro).

Is the build quality better on the Ipod Touch.

Feels good, latest one has some issues with me (I've got three, the older ones are fine).

As both Apple devices have integrated batteries is it a return to Apple to have it replaced ?

well....there are stores that can replace them, at least here in Berlin.
That said: My batteries all last well, I bought my oldest iTouch on the day of it's release and it still works fine. And these things get used here :)

The iPeng APP goes onto the iPhone or iTouch. The iPeng PLUGIN won't work on the SB Touch.

There are several SqueezeBox Apps for Android available.

The best one being flattermann's (SqueezeCommander). :)