PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Server on android

wewen
2010-03-26, 14:28
Squeezebox Server on android wouldn't it be a nice idea? Since there will be tablets/slates running android and smartbooks. And don't forget about your smartphone that gets more and more powerfull.

Personaly I like the idea with squeezeserver going online when you come home with your mobile. No pc required.

So what do we say a android port?

parfour
2010-03-27, 02:51
yes yes yes

flattermann
2010-03-27, 03:06
Squeezebox Server on android wouldn't it be a nice idea? Since there will be tablets/slates running android and smartbooks. And don't forget about your smartphone that gets more and more powerfull.

Personaly I like the idea with squeezeserver going online when you come home with your mobile. No pc required.

So what do we say a android port?

Yes, indeed, that would be a nice thing...

I'm not sure how complicated that would be, but if you want to start a port, the Android Scripting Environment (ASE) may be a good starting point: http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

Good luck! :)

slate
2010-03-27, 03:38
Can't see why it shouldn't be possible to port to Android.

I can't see that it makes much sense for a tablet/slate/pad or smartphone. These are devices that that are designed to be mobile which means that your stream would be wireless twice; for many people that is asking for trouble.
And then there are storage; a tablet/slate/pad would be able to handle part of my music library, but a smartphone would only be able to handle a fraction..... and my library isn't that big compared to others.

I could see the tablet/slate/pad work as wallmounted server with ethernet cable. That could be nice using it as "Touch" interface.
Well if the storage were sufficient for ones need.

flattermann
2010-03-27, 04:17
Can't see why it shouldn't be possible to port to Android.

I can't see that it makes much sense for a tablet/slate/pad or smartphone. These are devices that that are designed to be mobile which means that your stream would be wireless twice; for many people that is asking for trouble.
And then there are storage; a tablet/slate/pad would be able to handle part of my music library, but a smartphone would only be able to handle a fraction..... and my library isn't that big compared to others.

I could see the tablet/slate/pad work as wallmounted server with ethernet cable. That could be nice using it as "Touch" interface.
Well if the storage were sufficient for ones need.

Another problem on a mobile phone will be the power supply. A SBS on the phone will probably drain the battery very fast (at least while streaming music), because wireless traffic will be pretty high.

But I agree, on a wallmounted Android tablet with external PSU, it could be pretty useful.

slate
2010-03-27, 04:34
[QUOTE=flattermann;528356]Another problem on a mobile phone will be the power supply. A SBS on the phone will probably drain the battery very fast (at least while streaming music), because wireless traffic will be pretty high.QUOTE]

Yeah didn't consider power factor but you are right, I am using SlimCtrl on my X1 and the wifi sucks power like american cars.
I have been helping Sebastian testing bug corretions when "sliding" the phone, and after a couple hours of testing the battery is drained.

fragfutter
2010-03-27, 04:41
why would i want to use a wallmounted android device? Embedded Linux where i can easily run cpu-native apps and have access to perl interpreter. Or android where i either need to run a special java app or use the android NSDK.

Android is _not_ GNU/Linux. They use a heavily modified Linux kernel and that is it. Most of the userpace tools are heavily different than what normaly is referenced as Linux (in the meaning of GNU/Linux).

flattermann
2010-03-27, 04:42
Another problem on a mobile phone will be the power supply. A SBS on the phone will probably drain the battery very fast (at least while streaming music), because wireless traffic will be pretty high.

Yeah didn't consider power factor but you are right, I am using SlimCtrl on my X1 and the wifi sucks power like american cars.
I have been helping Sebastian testing bug corretions when "sliding" the phone, and after a couple hours of testing the battery is drained.

Yup, that's a real problem.

E.g. a Google G1 Android phone uses around 2-3mA while it's sleeping but around 200-250mA while Wifi is active and it's transmitting/receiving data. That's a pretty big difference. ;-)

flattermann
2010-03-27, 04:45
why would i want to use a wallmounted android device? Embedded Linux where i can easily run cpu-native apps and have access to perl interpreter. Or android where i either need to run a special java app or use the android NSDK.

Android is _not_ GNU/Linux. They use a heavily modified Linux kernel and that is it. Most of the userpace tools are heavily different than what normaly is referenced as Linux (in the meaning of GNU/Linux).

The nice thing is that Android devices are mass-market products and are (or will be) pretty cheap compared to (relatively low volume) embedded devices with the same specs (touchscreen/wifi and so on).

So it may be relatively cost-effective.

wewen
2010-03-28, 03:46
I will check out the scripting page. Not much of a coder myself though. But since I ordered a Htc Desire there might be some tempation to try it. Even if it drains battery as a man drink water in the desert. And there will most likely be some sleepless weeks :D

Btw Flattermann I will try out your squeezecommander. Although I don't think android market with pay apps are avalible in Sweden where I live.

OppfinnarJocke
2010-08-15, 14:04
Btw Flattermann I will try out your squeezecommander. Although I don't think android market with pay apps are avalible in Sweden where I live.

Sadly, they are not...

Even considering power issues, I think SBS on Android would be a good thing for many of us. The only thing I use SBS for nowadays, is playing Spotify through Triodes plugin (see link in sig). Spotify is already available on my Android phone (HTC Desire). Would I love not have to boot up the laptop to run Spotify through my SB system... yes I would!

pippin
2010-08-15, 17:11
Would you love to permanently charge your phone or have it run out of power after one hour?

OppfinnarJocke
2010-08-16, 02:06
Would you love to permanently charge your phone or have it run out of power after one hour?

Could have it permanently charging when I'm at home, that's no problem, not for me, no.

Skinny
2010-08-16, 05:49

OT I bought SqueezeCommander from SlideMe https://slideme.org/application/squeeze-commander.

-Skinny

OppfinnarJocke
2010-08-16, 13:04
OT I bought SqueezeCommander from SlideMe https://slideme.org/application/squeeze-commander.

-Skinny

How to buy? I can find no button to click where it says "Purchase" or "Download" or whatever... Not even when I'm logged in...

Skinny
2010-08-16, 13:15
How to buy? I can find no button to click where it says "Purchase" or "Download" or whatever... Not even when I'm logged in...
Do you have the SlideME SAM app manager software installed? From there at least I see an install button.

-Skinny

OppfinnarJocke
2010-08-21, 15:35
Do you have the SlideME SAM app manager software installed? From there at least I see an install button.

-Skinny

Aha! On the phone... I was looking at the website, stupid me...
Thanks.

undret
2011-08-17, 07:44
Was there any progress on a tiny squeeze server for Android? I had the same idea (not the first one obviously).
To me, it would be very useful as my prime use case would be to make local music on the phone available to squeezeplayer/squeezecommander.
And secondly to stream the music out of the phone to my squeezeboxes at home.
Any work done?

It seems to be a bit overkill to have to start three apps just to listen to local music. But this can surely be solved.

diego
2013-04-29, 00:40
Hi there! This is a pretty old thread... however, the topic seems to be worth reconsidering. I'd like to take my booms and radios "on location", and having the Server on a Tablett would just be awesome! If the Android can (as an option) act directly as a router, connecting all Squeezeboxes, it would just be perfect.

I hope there are still people out there caring for the squeezeboxex...

smiggs
2013-04-29, 15:30
Why not just rig a Raspberry Pi up to an external battery?

DJanGo
2013-04-29, 23:20
Could have it permanently charging when I'm at home, that's no problem, not for me, no.

Maybe not for you, but shurely your mobile/tablet akku wont like that.
If you do that 1 month i am shure your mobile/tablet wont hold the power more than a few minutes.

If we talking about an spare tablet, thats not mobile anymore cause of some minor damages thats another point, but if you want it mobile aswell i think it wont run like you want it.

Neusdoorn
2014-03-23, 04:26
I'm using an Android Rockchip MK808 and use it as media server.
So a server app would be nice to have.

phalseb
2015-01-19, 04:46
have you solve?
Do you find a android app LMS server?