PDA

View Full Version : Managing lossless for SB and lossy for iPod

audiofille
2010-03-24, 05:39
I have imported my CD collection into iTunes in lossless format. This works great with my SB. But we have 2 iPod users in the house that want just all music in AAC format. So I want 1 master collection that I keep up to date and some easy system to Sync to iPod in lossy format.

The posibilities:
1 - iTunes does not support this although requested by many
2 - doug script: tried it, not suitable for my situation
3 - duplicate everything in iTunes and use smart playlists --> OK, but this does not work well with SB since the menus will show all numbers duplicated
4 - use 2 libraries: not an good option since I buy new CD's and fix the artwork, and I don't want the frustration nor the clutter of duplicating everything

My question is regarding option 3. Is there a possibility to let Squeezbox ignore all the lossy duplicated numbers so that it works with the lossless versions? So, for instance, if I drill down to a specific album it would show me only the lossless ones. In that sense My Music collection is defined by means of a path + a playlist.

If you have other possibilities or suggestions, things I miss... Thanks.

garym
2010-03-24, 10:52
Is it possible for you to use the custom skip plugin in some way (SB skips all tracks that are not FLAC, etc.). May not work as I think it doesn't change what is shown in your library, just what is played.

I do the same thing you want to do by simply maintaining two libraries. Storage is cheap these days. I have a library that contains either FLAC files or mp3/aac files for which I have no FLAC and this is my SB library. I have a mirror library that has all files in mp3/aac for my ipods, etc. And I have over 100,000 tracks.

Music/FLAC
Music/mp3aaconly
mirrormusic/....contains mp3 version of FLAC files

in SbS I point toward x:/Music as my library
in iTUNES I point toward x:/mirrormusic as my main library, but within Itunes I also "add" (using FILE/ADD FOLDER) the tracks that are in x:\Music\mp3aaconly. This way I only have one copy of these files.

All this is easy enough to do. I rip a CD to FLAC with dbpoweramp. Make sure the tags and album art are just what I want. Then I use dbpoweramp to convert the FLAC files to mp3 files. I can point at a subdirectory with 1000s of FLAC files, make a couple of mouse clicks, then come back in a few hours and have the mp3 files in a mirror directory. And if codecs get better (or I decide I'm happy with LAME -V5 instead of -V2, I can just point at my FLAC library, and in a day or so I'll have a new mp3 mirror library, with all correct tags and album art automatically done.

blazingtortoise
2010-03-24, 11:19
Edit: D'oh! Didn't see point 4. But I've found keeping two libraries is not too tricky.

I use iTunes to manage my music and have two seperate iTunes libraries one with lossless files for Squeezebox and a lossy library for my iPod. If you hold shift when opening iTunes you will get the option to create a new library or open another library.

I use dbpoweramp to rip CDs to apple lossless format which I then encode to a suitable mp3 format. If you look in the itunes library folders there is an auotmaticaaly add to iTunes folder. Place the files in the relevent folder and they will be added to iTunes next time you start that library.

Another bonus is that you can save genius playlists and then access them through Squeezebox, I prefer the genius mixes to those produced by musicIP.

Hope this is clear.

Simon.

audiofille
2010-03-25, 01:12
Ok, I see, you are both doing the encoding outside of iTunes. I didn't think of that. For years I am encoding directly into iTunes without caring much about the internal file structure or DB.

With external encoding the option 4 might not be so bad after all. Since I have an 'all Mac Os X' environment I had to find something similar as dbpoweramp (which seems to be windows/linux). I think 'Max' seems to be a pretty decent replacement (still have not tried it, but it looks good). And I will need to do some experimenting with a small set of files to get it right. Especially when new files are encoded and need to be imported in the 'ipod library'. Also the artwork is not yet clear to me (is it stored in the mpeg4 cause I see some metafiles in iTunes Music folder for that...?). But I need to do some homework I guess...

thanks very much for your help!!!

canyelles
2010-03-25, 01:14
In iTunes, set the lossy tracks to be unselected (i.e. uncheck the square box in the name)

Also make sure the squeezeserver is set up to not load in unchecked songs.

I also change the album title of the lossy versions to indicate they are an iPhone version.

DaveWr
2010-03-25, 03:53
Ok, I see, you are both doing the encoding outside of iTunes. I didn't think of that. For years I am encoding directly into iTunes without caring much about the internal file structure or DB.

With external encoding the option 4 might not be so bad after all. Since I have an 'all Mac Os X' environment I had to find something similar as dbpoweramp (which seems to be windows/linux). I think 'Max' seems to be a pretty decent replacement (still have not tried it, but it looks good). And I will need to do some experimenting with a small set of files to get it right. Especially when new files are encoded and need to be imported in the 'ipod library'. Also the artwork is not yet clear to me (is it stored in the mpeg4 cause I see some metafiles in iTunes Music folder for that...?). But I need to do some homework I guess...

Have a look at XLD, very good ripper.

Dave

davep
2010-03-25, 04:52
+1 for XLD.

You can set it up to code to multiple formats in the same rip process - I use this for the very same reason - one copy in lossless flac for serious listening and a second as a 160k mp3 for transfer into the iTunes library to be synced with my iPhone. Once set up it works a treat.

davep

garym
2010-03-25, 05:18
not a mac user, but isn't another benefit of XLD the fact that it uses the ACCURATERIP database for confirming rips. Itunes definitely does NOT have this secure ripping feature.

blazingtortoise
2010-03-25, 12:17
Also the artwork is not yet clear to me (is it stored in the mpeg4 cause I see some metafiles in iTunes Music folder for that...?). But I need to do some homework I guess...

I add the art to the tag as I am ripping the cd, itunes seems to first check the online store for the album art and then the file tag. The method it uses to store the art isn't exactly clear.

Si.

garym
2010-03-25, 12:24
I add the art to the tag as I am ripping the cd, itunes seems to first check the online store for the album art and then the file tag. The method it uses to store the art isn't exactly clear.

Si.

Itunes uses its own database to store the album art. If you want to embed the art (so that any program reading the file sees the art), do the following:

1. After ripping, select all the tracks from the CD.
2. Right click and select file properties, then the art (or cover, can't recall) button.
3. Once here you can see the album art. Right click on it an then select copy. Then right click on the same art and select paste.

You've now copied the artwork into the file itself. Most programs can now see this artwork (including SbS).

also, note that many will argue that it is a waste of space to embed the album cover in each track and they prefer the approach of having a single art file in each album subdirectory. Frankly, for me the wasted space is minor compared to always having the right artwork with the right track anywhere I access the track. But to each their own....

JJZolx
2010-03-25, 13:19
also, note that many will argue that it is a waste of space to embed the album cover in each track and they prefer the approach of having a single art file in each album subdirectory. Frankly, for me the wasted space is minor compared to always having the right artwork with the right track anywhere I access the track. But to each their own....

When mirroring my FLAC library in MP3 for use with iTunes for my iPod, I've found that the only way to get artwork on the iPod is by embedding it in the MP3 files. For the main FLAC library and SbS I prefer using only a single cover.jpg in the folder.

Eric Seaberg
2010-03-27, 15:26
I use a shareware plugin for iTunes called MultiTunes http://porkrind.org/multitunes/ which allows you to create MULTIPLE iTunes libraries. I do exactly what you're trying to do, as well as separate libraries for my and my wife's iPhones.

Works great!