Is synchronising more difficult than hit the jack pot in Vegas ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rolf_the_wolf
    • Feb 2009

Is synchronising more difficult than hit the jack pot in Vegas ?

Dear all
    I read several threads in English and German about Synchronising.

In fact, I'm not able to synchronise properly e.g. without delay.

Some times it works between Duett receiver and boom, 3 hours later, a delay in between so that you have to stop transmission asap. Between Duett reveivers, not bad, but not perfect.

I do not use SBS and I'm just using the Duett controller and mySB.

However, before you answer, I have never, never ever seen a remark in Logitech's documentation about restrictions or anything similar in regards to synchronisation.

Is it realy more difficult to synchronise (Logitech calls it a multiroom system) than winning the jack pot in Las Vegas ??

Thanks for any help.
    Rolf
    1 x Controller, 2 x Receiver, 1 x Boom, 1 x Radio, 1 x iPeng, WiFi 811.n Zyxel, HTS 8140 Ambisound, Teufel 5.1, Mac mini und LMS 7.7.1 plus Sonos 4 x P3, 1 x P5, 2 x Receiver
  • bpa
    • Oct 2005

This note summarises the limitations.

Squeezenetwork is the old name for MySB.com

Comment

• iPhone
      • Oct 2007

For me Syncing has more to do with what one is trying to accomplish and with what.

As an example, I have 8 Squeezeboxes (TP, 2 Boom, 2 Receivers, 3 SB3s) on an all wired network with no Internet Connection run from a dedicated SBS linux server. I sync them all the time without any issues whatsoever. I also have a second WiFi network that I use for Beta Testing with a Touch, SB Radio, SB3, and Receiver with 2 Controllers. The server is an XP PC. Every once in a while the sync on this WiFi system gets off. Stopping and restarting has always put me right back on sync. I have not been able to figure out if its a WiFi issue or maybe the server. Note that both of these sync'd networks are local and basically problem free.

I would think that using MySB.com could put a whole layer of additional items that could go wrong to cause something to get out of sync. Remember that the server that the Players talk to when using only MySB.com is out over the Internet with its inherent possible delay. In my mind just one more thing that can go wrong. I prefer a local server.
      iPhone
      Media Room:
      ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
      Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
      Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
      Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
      Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
      Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
      Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
      Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• pippin
        • Oct 2007

Re: Is synchronising more difficult than hit the jack pot in Vegas ?

It's not at all difficult. You just need to run your own server.
        I'm having zero issues with syncing, yet it will probably can not work well with MySB.
        ---
        learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
        Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
        at penguinlovesmusic.com
        New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• rolf_the_wolf
          • Feb 2009

I would understand all the issues as long as there would be an restriction on any product sheet. There is none. Everything what I like to do is what Logitech promises.
          I don't like to run a server just because of the limitation of Logitech. I normaly 99% listen to internet radio stations.

Is there realy no other solution to fix this simple request ?
          1 x Controller, 2 x Receiver, 1 x Boom, 1 x Radio, 1 x iPeng, WiFi 811.n Zyxel, HTS 8140 Ambisound, Teufel 5.1, Mac mini und LMS 7.7.1 plus Sonos 4 x P3, 1 x P5, 2 x Receiver

Comment

• andyg
            Former Squeezebox Guy
            • Jan 2006

Internet radio cannot be synced if you use mysqueezebox.com, you must run your own server for radio syncing.

Comment

• autopilot
              • Oct 2005

For what it's worth, i was playing synced music on my Boom, SB Classic, Radio and Touch all day using SBS running on the Touch. It was flawless
              Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Comment

• iPhone
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by rolf_the_wolf
                I would understand all the issues as long as there would be an restriction on any product sheet. There is none. Everything what I like to do is what Logitech promises.
                I don't like to run a server just because of the limitation of Logitech. I normaly 99% listen to internet radio stations.

Is there realy no other solution to fix this simple request ?
                I can't find a single thing that specifically states that Internet Radio can be sync'd among multiple player without the need of a local server.

The Squeezebox is a server dependent product (local server, MySB.com Server, or Tiny SBS on the Touch). It is still talking to a server when one uses Internet Radio, that server is MySB.com if you don't have a local server running. If power is an issue, then the new Touch or something like a SheevaPlug or Vortexbox would be the solution.
                iPhone
                Media Room:
                ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
                Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
                Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
                Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
                Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
                Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
                Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
                Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• rolf_the_wolf
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by andyg
                  Internet radio cannot be synced if you use mysqueezebox.com, you must run your own server for radio syncing.
                  This message is not the same as the following written by iPhone

It is still talking to a server when one uses Internet Radio, that server is MySB.com if you don't have a local server running.

I can understand there is a sort of server required, but I still don't understand, why should I run a server on a separate PC just for sync and why does mySB.com not be sufficient. (power (I assume you mean bandwidth) is not an issue)

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                    • Apr 2005

This message is not the same as the following written by iPhone

It is still talking to a server when one uses Internet Radio, that server is MySB.com if you don't have a local server running.

I can understand there is a sort of server required, but I still don't understand, why should I run a server on a separate PC just for sync and why does mySB.com not be sufficient. (power (I assume you mean bandwidth) is not an issue)
                    Presumably because accurate sync requires buffering (from a LAN server) and there is too much latency involved in the Internet...
                    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
                    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
                    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
                    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• snarlydwarf
                      • Jul 2005

T

When a SB plays a radio stream from MySB.COM, MYSB acts more like a 'matchmaker' than a proxy server.

Ie, each device is told "Go to http://somesite.com/something.m3u and play
                      whatever you get there but stay with me for screen updates and control"

So if you have a dozen SB's of various sorts, each will make its own connection to the site with the audio, each will have its own latency and own clocking which is subject to drift and dropouts and stutters.

If you connect via your own server, your server will connect to the remote stream and each SB will get its stream from your local server: this reduces the latency and drift of individual players since the only network involved is your local network, and SBS can maintain its own buffer (since it is in the middle of each stream) and dole out audio data at a consistent speed.

Comment

• awy
                        • Sep 2006

Almost right.

It is (surprisingly) not about latency but about when the stream starts. Services like Pandora, Rhapsody, Napster, etc. all send individual streams for each track. When you start playing it starts exactly at the start of a track. This is the same whether or not you get one stream from the source and proxy it via a local Squeezebox Server, or whether each player gets its own stream directly from the source as is the case when using mysqueezebox.com.

With a radio station however, each stream obtained from the remote source starts when the individual player connects. This will inevitably be different for each player.

Once connected and playing, the server, whether a local Squeezebox Server or mysqueezebox.com, will keep each player in sync relative to the start of the stream. For a radio station where each player has its own connection (mysqueezebox.com), the reference point will be different for each player and so they will be kept out-of-sync exactly by the amount of the difference between the reference points.

A hack that sometimes works with mysqueezebox.com is to keep restarting playback (using the REW button) until it starts up acceptable in sync.

Comment

• Justme
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by andyg
                          Odd this one. I sync my boom and SB2 whilst listening to the radio, or from mp3tunes all the time, and this is via MSB.com as I hardly ever use my SBS. No syncing problems yet.

Comment

Working...