PDA

View Full Version : Temporarily adding music

bhaagensen
2010-03-23, 08:03
Hi,

I have a vague recollection of the existance of a good way of temporarily adding music to be player on Squeezeboxes. Possibly a plugin of some sort? But thats also it. If anyone could help me out I would be greatful.

Thanks

Bjørn

Bill50x
2010-03-24, 00:19
Hi,

I have a vague recollection of the existance of a good way of temporarily adding music to be player on Squeezeboxes. Possibly a plugin of some sort? But thats also it. If anyone could help me out I would be greatful.

Thanks

Bjørn
I just have a separate folder where I put my temporarily music. This folder is included in the library via a shortcut.

/ B

bhaagensen
2010-03-24, 02:54
I just have a separate folder where I put my temporarily music. This folder is included in the library via a shortcut.
/ B

I suppose I may end up doing that. Its just that I recently downloaded the SXSW Torrents - there are about 1000 files by almost as many artists. Its going to create havoc in my artist list...

maggior
2010-03-24, 05:29

/ B

The problem with that is that after you clear out the files from the drive, you have to clear and rescan to rebuild the squeezebox server database to remove the entries of deleted music.

Letten
2010-03-24, 05:57
I guess it wont help excluding the Temp-folder from scan and just navigate through folders, because the songs will be added to the library once they are played - wright?

bhaagensen
2010-03-24, 06:20
I see no good way of doing this. However another post proposing another feature could actually also solve this problem. Please have a look here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=527699&posted=1#post527699

and remember to VOTE as soon as the enhancement is filed. I'll update this thread when.

maggior
2010-03-24, 06:39
I guess it wont help excluding the Temp-folder from scan and just navigate through folders, because the songs will be added to the library once they are played - wright?

Yes, that's correct. Once you navigate to an file, it will be added to the database. There are cases where this is a desireable feature, but not in this case.

pippin
2010-03-24, 07:07
I don't think you have to clear and rescan. I believe a normal rescan would do the trick to get rid of the files.

Bill50x
2010-03-25, 09:44
The problem with that is that after you clear out the files from the drive, you have to clear and rescan to rebuild the squeezebox server database to remove the entries of deleted music.
Nope. I have my temporary files in a folder called "Download. When I navigate to that folder, Squeeze-server automatically add new items. When I have moved the wanted files elsewhere, I just go to that folder again and the deleted/moved files are gone. No need to rescan.

/ B

maggior
2010-03-25, 09:52
Nope. I have my temporary files in a folder called "Download. When I navigate to that folder, Squeeze-server automatically add new items. When I have moved the wanted files elsewhere, I just go to that folder again and the deleted/moved files are gone. No need to rescan.

/ B

What happens if you play the contents of a directory? My experience has been if you do, it will add those to the database.

bhaagensen
2010-03-25, 10:01

/ B

Unless you are running the very latest embedded version, this must be because you are using 'Browse Music Folder' rather than the artist/album/genre/etc-entries? Are you positively sure that they are purged from the database when deleted? Try adding and removing a track with metadata that you can identify. I'd be surprised if the entries are gone from artist/album/genre/etc.

Bill50x
2010-03-25, 13:55
Unless you are running the very latest embedded version, this must be because you are using 'Browse Music Folder' rather than the artist/album/genre/etc-entries? Are you positively sure that they are purged from the database when deleted? Try adding and removing a track with metadata that you can identify. I'd be surprised if the entries are gone from artist/album/genre/etc.
You're right, I use "Browse Music Folder". I get my music from so many different sources and I can't trust the tags. I have noticed that when I am changing tags, sometimes SB Server change at once, sometimes I need to re-scan. Later on I will try your suggestion with adding and removing a track with a known tag. At the moment I am spending my time on re-tagging my collection and trying to solve the bugs in the software.

/ B

Björn, är du norsk eller dansk?

bhaagensen
2010-03-25, 14:51
Later on I will try your suggestion with adding and removing a track with a known tag. At the moment I am spending my time on re-tagging my collection and trying to solve the bugs in the software.

/ B

Björn, är du norsk eller dansk?

No hurry - I'm rather convinced that the behaviour is as I suspect :) Not that I'm not interested in hearing about your findings though....

Fantastisk gættet, jeg er Norsk, men bosat i Danmark :)

vh

andyg
2010-03-25, 14:58
Embedded is designed to handle this better, adding/deleting music frequently should maintain a consistent database automatically without the need for wipes and rescans, etc. Might want to give it a try.

bhaagensen
2010-03-25, 15:36
Embedded is designed to handle this better, adding/deleting music frequently should maintain a consistent database automatically without the need for wipes and rescans, etc. Might want to give it a try.

Thanks, and yes I'm, on a daily basis, tempted to do this. The main issue holding me back, is that afaiu embedded implies sqlite, which at this point is incompatible with erland's multi-library plugin. Right?

andyg
2010-03-25, 15:56
Ah OK, yes I think that's true. You can run it with MySQL though if you want.

bhaagensen
2010-03-25, 16:05
Ah OK, yes I think that's true. You can run it with MySQL though if you want.

Ah, very interesting. I thought embedded, and in particular the new inotify-driven scanner was sqlite only.

andyg
2010-03-25, 16:10
Nope, that's just the default (and fastest). You can switch to MySQL under Advanced -> Performance.

snarlydwarf
2010-03-25, 16:31
Thanks, and yes I'm, on a daily basis, tempted to do this. The main issue holding me back, is that afaiu embedded implies sqlite, which at this point is incompatible with erland's multi-library plugin. Right?

I'm not doing much complicated stuff with MultiLibrary, but it seems most of Erland's stuff is fine. (Browse-By-Letter type things in custom browse seem to be broken, but I haven't had much time at all to look at just what is wrong.) The wife's library looks fine to me, though.

It's easy enough to switch back and forth, the only thing that got me was the difference between RAND and RANDOM in the playlists.

Well and browse-by-letter.... but I mostly do dynamic playlists anyway

bhaagensen
2010-03-26, 06:55
Now running SBC-embedded. Things looks OK so far. For some reason the database apparently got dropped on a reboot, but other than that, no real problems.

It is blazingly FAST though!!! Rescanning upon adding or removing an album takes about 14sec on a library with ~20K tracks/1.7K albums! Browsing etc. is also much snappier. Very nice.

I only used multi-library for defining a couple of sub-libraries based on paths. This works fine.

maggior
2010-03-26, 07:18
Now running SBC-embedded. Things looks OK so far. For some reason the database apparently got dropped on a reboot, but other than that, no real problems.

It is blazingly FAST though!!! Rescanning upon adding or removing an album takes about 14sec on a library with ~20K tracks/1.7K albums! Browsing etc. is also much snappier. Very nice.

Wow, that's very impressive. It'll be interesting to see how that affects the 1 hour it takes for a complete clear/rescan on my 30k+ library. The reason mine takes so long is that my OS and root file system reside on a USB memory stick, so read/writes to the root files system are slow. This isn't a problem for anything but scanning the library, which I don't do much anyway.

bhaagensen
2010-03-26, 09:47
Wow, that's very impressive. It'll be interesting to see how that affects the 1 hour it takes for a complete clear/rescan on my 30k+ library. The reason mine takes so long is that my OS and root file system reside on a USB memory stick, so read/writes to the root files system are slow. This isn't a problem for anything but scanning the library, which I don't do much anyway.

Yes its very nice. Though afaiu, with the new use of the fs-notification systems, also the kind of performance one should be expecting.

I didn't get the time for the complete clean/rescan, but I would guess somwhere around 15-20 minutes. This is still considerable faster than it used to be.

About half my library is on a USB-disk. The rest on an internal. My server old, but still pretty well spec'd compared to NAS boxes and such. AMD XP2000 (or something like that) with one GB RAM.

pski
2010-03-26, 12:46
I ran 7.5e last week on Vista Ultimate and the clear/scan time for 22K/1900+ albums went from 1:14 (7.4.2) to 26 minutes.

This was AMD 7550 Dual-core (3GB) at 2.51 with gigabit attachment to Buffalo NAS.

p

bhaagensen
2010-03-26, 12:53
I ran 7.5e last week on Vista Ultimate and the clear/scan time for 22K/1900+ albums went from 1:14 (7.4.2) to 26 minutes.

This was AMD 7550 Dual-core (3GB) at 2.51 with gigabit attachment to Buffalo NAS.

Kind of hard to compare with mine (not considering that my library is slightly smaller). As I said, I think that with 7.5e a full clear/scan takes 15-20min for me. Compared to yours, it is actually not that much better than the before-time, which was around 25-30 mins. My hardware specs are much lower than yours - on the other hand I'm using local/usb-storage.

Question for you though. Do you somehow get inotify-events, i.e. automatic scanning, over ethernet?

bhaagensen
2010-03-29, 11:14
A few posts back I said that multi-library was working with 7.5 embedded. I only have a simple setup with a few path-based sublibraries. It seems I was a bit fast. I'm having some problems and its not really working. Haven't investigated closer, but I just thought I'd update the thread with my experience.