PDA

View Full Version : Synchronized playback on PC - will it ever happen?

menno
2010-03-22, 05:56
I have three Squeezeboxes round the house I would really like to play these in sync with my PC.

SqueezeSoft worked great in sync for a while, and it was suggested that this would only improve as time went by. Now this seems to have been abandoned by Logitech and later versions of server and Squeezesoft player dont seem to sync well any more.

I tried its replacement, SqueezePlay but that doesnt sync at all.

So after all these years I thought at least SlimDevices/Logitech would have provide something by now.

It seems crazy that I have a state of the art PC, state of the art sound card connected to studio quality monitors, and yet I would need to buy a 4th Squeezebox and connect it to another input on my soundcard, just to be able to get synchronized playback on my PC sound system.

Frustrated,
Menno

bpa
2010-03-22, 06:29
state of the art sound card

With Softsqueeze this sound card is probably the cause - the simpler the audio card the more likely the sync will be good as processing in the sound card adds delays.

awy
2010-03-22, 08:21
Bug 14893 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14893) was fixed earlier today.

usch
2010-03-22, 09:37
Bug 14893 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14893) was fixed earlier today.
Finally. Will the fix be in the next SqueezePlay 7.5 nightly?

awy
2010-03-22, 09:38
Yes, it is already out.

iPhone
2010-03-22, 09:57
Who cares? Buy another Squeezebox! Your PC is NOT a Squeezebox for SBS to control. Again, buy another Squeezebox if this is really bothering you.

menno
2010-03-22, 10:06
With Softsqueeze this sound card is probably the cause - the simpler the audio card the more likely the sync will be good as processing in the sound card adds delays.

It's a studio sound card so I know it's not the cause as it has very low latency. And it was working fine in sync with Softqueeze and Slimserver older versions.

menno
2010-03-22, 10:08

Thanks, will go and try it out :)

gcurrie
2010-03-22, 12:56
Bug 14893 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14893) was fixed earlier today.SWEEEEEEEEET! I've been waiting for this for five months!

@iPhone: Some of us would LOVE to buy another Squeezebox. It's called the Receiver. Unfortunately, it is out of stock and unavailable within the US.

menno
2010-03-23, 07:38
Who cares? Buy another Squeezebox! Your PC is NOT a Squeezebox for SBS to control. Again, buy another Squeezebox if this is really bothering you.

And the award for most helpful post goes to Iphone. :rolleyes:

Just because you dont care, doesnt mean others dont...

menno
2010-03-23, 08:38

Will 7.5.0 r8662 SqueezePlay sync correctly with a 7.4.2 server? I didnt get such a good result myself. Sync works, but there was some offset.

Unfortunately I'm struggling to get 7.5 SC running on my QNAP TS-109 due to audio::scan incompatibility. But this gives me a new reason to get it compiling in SSOTS.

Cheers,
Menno

bpa
2010-03-23, 09:10
Have you tried adjusting the synchronisation settings to see if improves things ?

menno
2010-03-23, 10:07
Have you tried adjusting the synchronisation settings to see if improves things ?

Thanks, I didnt realise they existed. I have been running an old 7.3.2 version up to now, under the "if it aint broke dont fix it" philosophy. But finally got curious to see what improvements had been made :)

Will have a tinker with the settings and see what happens.

wonder boy
2010-03-23, 12:42
Using SBS 7.4.2 and d/l the latest squeezeplay .exe but still get no sound if synced with other players, unsync and squeezeplay works fine...any ideas what I am doing wrong?

garym
2010-03-23, 13:51
Using SBS 7.4.2 and d/l the latest squeezeplay .exe but still get no sound if synced with other players, unsync and squeezeplay works fine...any ideas what I am doing wrong?

This morning I installed the nightly (3/23) squeezeplay 7.5. I run this with SbS 7.4.2 on a windows XP machine. For the first time I was able to sync squeezeplay on a laptop with my Transporter. So something was definitely fixed to allow this. (Before if I tried to sync, I got NO sound from squeezeplay).

HOWEVER, the new version seems to have introduced a new problem. Normally, I use squeezeplay as simply a "controller" on my laptop. Works perfectly. But now, the track playing time stays at zero. The song plays fine, the title/artist and album art switches to the correct info, but the time stays at zero. And squeezeplay must think it is not playing (even though it is) because the not playing screensaver then kicks in. This zero time without change is true of my own music, listening to internet radio, etc.

p.s. If I grab the time elapsed bar and move it forward (say, to 1.10 minutes). It will simply stay at 1.10 minutes. But again, the song is playing just fine.

wonder boy
2010-03-23, 14:00
Yeah, I get the time oddities like you describe, will try 7.5...back in a bit!

garym
2010-03-23, 14:02
Yeah, I get the time oddities like you describe, will try 7.5...back in a bit!

interesting. I was already running squeezeplay 7.5, and didn't get the time problem until I installed last night (3/23) version of squeezeplay 7.5.

wonder boy
2010-03-23, 14:15
How bizarre, now works a treat, syncs with my 2 booms and sb3, sound from all 4 players, no time lag issues either...weird, thanks for the suggestion...

garym
2010-03-23, 14:24
How bizarre, now works a treat, syncs with my 2 booms and sb3, sound from all 4 players, no time lag issues either...weird, thanks for the suggestion...

I'm not having time issues with the actual synching either. So to be clear your counter (song length time) starts at zero when you start a song then moves with time as the song plays, second at a time until you reach the end of the song? It doesn't stay on time elapsed of zero.

wonder boy
2010-03-23, 14:48
I'm not having time issues with the actual synching either. So to be clear your counter (song length time) starts at zero when you start a song then moves with time as the song plays, second at a time until you reach the end of the song? It doesn't stay on time elapsed of zero.

Yeah that's right, counter moves as expected from start to finish.

garym
2010-03-23, 16:10
Duh! I followed the same advice I post for others on this forum: stop and restart SbS. Problem solved. Squeezeplay will synch and as a controller (my use) works just fine....

wonder boy
2010-03-24, 01:38
Duh! I followed the same advice I post for others on this forum: stop and restart SbS. Problem solved. Squeezeplay will synch and as a controller (my use) works just fine....

Nice one...physician, thy has healed thyself!

menno
2010-03-25, 08:38
Working perfect here now after I tweaked the sync settings.

Well chuffed :D