PDA

View Full Version : Mysql on Linux - Do I need both x64 and i386?

BigBirdy
2010-03-21, 10:54
I am running squeezeboxserver 7.2 on 64 bit Centos and just installed the 64 bit version of MySql 5.1.41. I prefer to point squeezeboxserver to my own instance of MySql rather than the one that comes with SBS.

Anyway, I am unable to connect squeezeboxserver to the local mysql instance unless I change where the mysql.sock is located. I need to run with the default of "/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock" for most other applications to work, such as Drupal and others. But in order to get squeezeboxserver to start I need to change my.cnf to use "/tmp/mysql.sock", but then nothing else cant connect to mysql?

I have noticed that in the default installs of 64 bit CentOS, both the i386 and x64 bit versions of MySql are installed. Is this what I need to do to ensure all apps can access MySql properly?

Thanks for any help

fragfutter
2010-03-21, 14:26
to run the server you need a mysql-server x86_64 package. For clients you need to have client packages. In the right language and the right architecture. So normaly one ends up with both mysql-client x86 and x86_64.

Did you follow the wiki page on configuring squeezebox server for an external mysql database? You can specify the location of the mysql socket in server.prefs.

peterw
2010-03-21, 16:23
On x64 ubuntu, I don't use the official package, instead I use a subversion checkout in a dedicated user's home directory. The slimserver.pl script uses the mysqld binary from subversion, and there's no conflict with the ubuntu mysql daemon that's used for other apps. I do have the ia32-libs package installed but don't know if that's needed to run the binaries checked out from subversion; I expect it its.

servies
2010-03-23, 01:48
On x64 ubuntu, I don't use the official package, instead I use a subversion checkout in a dedicated user's home directory. The slimserver.pl script uses the mysqld binary from subversion, and there's no conflict with the ubuntu mysql daemon that's used for other apps. I do have the ia32-libs package installed but don't know if that's needed to run the binaries checked out from subversion; I expect it its.
You're still running 2 instances of mysqld (a 64 bit version from Ubuntu itself and a 32bit version provided by squeezecenter).
The topicstarter wants to run just 1. The version provided by the distribution (in your case that would be the 64bit version from Ubuntu).
As mentioned in the reply before you, he would have to adapt server.prefs for that.

At my system (Fedora 11) that can be found in: /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs
The line to look for is something like:
dbsource: dbi:mysql:database=slimserver7;mysql_socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock