PDA

View Full Version : Continuing problems with Squeezebox

Matthew
2004-08-12, 13:05
Still having problems sending these e-mails so apologies if you have already got this. Alas after extensive testing the problems are still there, they only seem to occcurafter about three songs. Maybe this is a heat issue which only affects a fewnetwork cards? I have run out of ideas, looks like I may be without my precious for a while.... --- On Thu 08/12, Sean Adams < sadams (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com > wrote:From: Sean Adams [mailto: sadams (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com]To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.comDate: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:36:06 -0700Subject: [slim] Continuing problems with Squeezeboxsure, bring it byOn Aug 12, 2004, at 12:09 PM, Ken Crozier ((kcrozier)) wrote:> Sean,>> I'm having the same problems, after upgrading to firmware 29. I live > in the> bay area, should I contact macpro where I bought it or drop by on my > way> home>> Thanks> Ken>> I think that this is one of best products that I have come across. > Easy to> use, and it just works>> How if we only had a squeezebox for movies ;-)>> -----Original Message-----> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Sean Adams> Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 10:22 AM> To: Slim Devices Discussion> Subject: [slim] Continuing problems with Squeezebox>>>> Matthew,>> The issue is not being ignored - the problem is acknowledged but I have> not been able to fix it in software. Please contact> support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com - we need to replace your Squeezebox.>> Here's everything I know about this bug:>> 1) it is extremely rare. Looks like about 12 units from our very first> batch built in November-Dec are affected.> 2) it appears to be faulty wireless cards causing data corruption when> we access memory> 3) it is only *manifested* under the current firmware, it is not a bug> in the firmware itself. There were many changes to low-level hardware> drivers and bus timing between firmware v1x and v2x. So
me of this was> due to an OS upgrade to improve performance, and some of it was to lay> the groundwork for the new display interface. One of the things I did> was to accelerate some memory access and bus timing, and this seems to> have revealed problems with a few wireless cards.> 4) swapping the wireless card would almost certainly fix it but we> prefer to replace your whole system with a new one that has been fully> tested by us.>> Also FWIW: one of the tests we run before shipping each unit includes> several minutes of audio playback through a system which analyzes the> output signal for any glitches, and also tests frequency> response/stability and volume levels. This test would definitely catch> the sort of sounds you're describing and we are NOT seeing any issues> like this today. So that's why we want to swap out your player.>> Thanks,>> Sean>> On Aug 12, 2004, at 12:23 AM, Matthew wrote:>>> Now I am really cross, IE has just crashed losing my entire original>> message, oh well here goes....>>>> I am having continuing problems with my Squeezebox which started way>> back with firmware update 23.Trying this update caused my Squeezebox>> to crash and the update fail. The only rectification was to remove the>> wireless card inside and try the update again - success!!!>>>> However after this event the playback of all music including MP3's is>> punctuated with annoying little pops, cracks and gaps in music>> (probably about 1/8th of a sec). Aftermuch playing around I discovered>> that the solution was to remove the wireless card and hard wire the>> squeezebox straight into the wireless router (defeating the point of>> having it but hey it worked and at the time I had just switched to a>> cable modem which was neatly installed next to my computer so it didn!>> 't matter).>>>> Interestingly enough with the wireless card inserted and the>>
sq
ueezebox hard wired tothe router the same problems where occurring.>> It seems that the physical presence ofthe network card is causing all>> the problems.Now I have moved and due to the logistics of where>> everything is and the size of the house it has become an issue again>> and even after updating to the latest nightly build the same issues>> are occurring.>>>> I am running with slimserver on a XP2600+ 1Gb Ram, 250 Gb Hard drive,>> Windows XP SP 1 connected to a cable modem running a zonealarms>> firewall.>>>> The network connection is fine running at 68% and the buffer never>> runs down but the problems still occur.>>>> I notice that other people (not many) are having a similar problem>> with pops in playback which seem to be widely ignored.>>>> My WAG is that there is something different about mine and other boxes>> (maybe thewireless card) which caused the firmware update problem and>> is ca! using these artifactproblems. Would a new wireless card work?>>>> Can anybody help as I am seriously thinking of jacking it in and>> going with a different solution.>>>> On that note what is the returns policy, the box is 9 months old and>> obviously it has beenopened (on the advice of Slim devices).>>>> No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.>> Make My Way your home on the Web ->> http://www.myway.com