PDA

View Full Version : Continuing problems with Squeezebox

Matthew
2004-08-12, 11:15
Sean What can I say, amazing, I knew you guys took customer service seriously but wow. Anyway I was actually about to say that I think I have solved the issue as I have just dropped the wholenetwork to 11b and turned off the frameburst etc, so far it seems to be okay. I say this tentatively as having only just got back from work I haven't had that much time to test it. I am not super keen on sending the unit back as I am in the U.K. and the length of time / cost I would be without would be unbearable. I will monitor it and see how it pans out. Thanks again everyone for all your help, this is what helps build customer loyalty, no Roku for me:) Matt--- On Thu 08/12, Sean Adams < sadams (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com > wrote:From: Sean Adams [mailto: sadams (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com]To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.comDate: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:21:52 -0700Subject: [slim] Continuing problems with SqueezeboxMatthew,The issue is not being ignored - the problem is acknowledged but I have not been able to fix it in software. Please contact support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com - we need to replace your Squeezebox.Here's everything I know about this bug:1) it is extremely rare. Looks like about 12 units from our very first batch built in November-Dec are affected.2) it appears to be faulty wireless cards causing data corruption when we access memory3) it is only *manifested* under the current firmware, it is not a bug in the firmware itself. There were many changes to low-level hardware drivers and bus timing between firmware v1x and v2x. Some of this was due to an OS upgrade to improve performance, and some of it was to lay the groundwork for the new display interface. One of the things I did was to accelerate some memory access and bus timing, and this seems to have revealed problems with a few wireless cards.4) swapping the wireless card would almost certainly fix it but we prefer to replace your whole system with a new one that has been fully tested by us.Also FWIW: one of the tests we run before shipping each unit includes several minutes of audio
playback through a system which analyzes the output signal for any glitches, and also tests frequency response/stability and volume levels. This test would definitely catch the sort of sounds you're describing and we are NOT seeing any issues like this today. So that's why we want to swap out your player.Thanks,SeanOn Aug 12, 2004, at 12:23 AM, Matthew wrote:> Now I am really cross, IE has just crashed losing my entire original > message, oh well here goes....>> I am having continuing problems with my Squeezebox which started way > back with firmware update 23.Trying this update caused my Squeezebox > to crash and the update fail. The only rectification was to remove the > wireless card inside and try the update again - success!!!>> However after this event the playback of all music including MP3's is > punctuated with annoying little pops, cracks and gaps in music > (probably about 1/8th of a sec). Aftermuch playing around I discovered > that the solution was to remove the wireless card and hard wire the > squeezebox straight into the wireless router (defeating the point of > having it but hey it worked and at the time I had just switched to a > cable modem which was neatly installed next to my computer so it didn! > 't matter).>> Interestingly enough with the wireless card inserted and the > squeezebox hard wired tothe router the same problems where occurring. > It seems that the physical presence ofthe network card is causing all > the problems.Now I have moved and due to the logistics of where > everything is and the size of the house it has become an issue again > and even after updating to the latest nightly build the same issues > are occurring.>> I am running with slimserver on a XP2600+ 1Gb Ram, 250 Gb Hard drive, > Windows XP SP 1 connected to a cable modem running a zonealarms > firewall.>> The network connection is fine running at 68% and the buffer never > runs down but the problems still occur.>> I n
ot
ice that other people (not many) are having a similar problem > with pops in playback which seem to be widely ignored.>> My WAG is that there is something different about mine and other boxes > (maybe thewireless card) which caused the firmware update problem and > is ca! using these artifactproblems. Would a new wireless card work?>> Can anybody help as I am seriously thinking of jacking it in and > going with a different solution.>> On that note what is the returns policy, the box is 9 months old and > obviously it has beenopened (on the advice of Slim devices).>> No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.> Make My Way your home on the Web - > http://www.myway.com

seanadams
2004-08-12, 11:18
> Anyway I was actually about to say that I think I have solved the
> issue as I have just dropped the whole
> network to 11b and turned off the frameburst etc, so far it seems to
> be okay.

If you can confirm that this fixes it, that would be extremely helpful
new information for us.

Thanks,
Sean