PDA

View Full Version : Disable WLAN on Squeezebox Touch

mozart_puccini
2010-03-17, 07:32
I want to use the Squeezebox with a CAT/RJ45 Ethernet cable and would like to completely switch off the WLAN radio of the Squeezebox Touch.

Can anyone tell me if this is an option? If not, how could I best turn WLAN off, I wont use WLAN in the future, so it could be a one-time off and forever :)

Thanks for your help.

jstraw
2010-03-17, 11:20
I want to use the Squeezebox with a CAT/RJ45 Ethernet cable and would like to completely switch off the WLAN radio of the Squeezebox Touch.

Can anyone tell me if this is an option? If not, how could I best turn WLAN off, I wont use WLAN in the future, so it could be a one-time off and forever :)

Thanks for your help.

I'm not challenging your desire...but I am curious about what motivates it. What's the benefit from having Wifi actually shut off on the unit?

JohnSwenson
2010-03-17, 16:00
There is nothing in the touch menus that will do that, but there is a way to do it. You ssh into the touch and type the command:

iwconfig wlan0 txpower off

This shuts the radio off completely. Unfortunately it goes away when you unplug the touch. To always have it turned off you need to edit one of the config files so the command gets run at every boot.

To do this, ssh into the touch then do:

cd /etc/init.d
vi rc5.local
(press the 'i' key and then type:)
(press the escape key, type:)
:wq (thats colon key, w key, q key)

This creates the rc5.local file which will be run every time the touch boots, the iwconfig line turns off the transmitter.

This will stay in place until you load new firmware.

That should do it.

John S.

mozart_puccini
2010-03-18, 12:06
Helo, John
thanks for the valuable information and the solution to my idea. I will try this and I hope I succeed.

Mozart_Puccini

mozart_puccini
2010-03-18, 12:10
I know that many of you may ask why I would have the desire to switch off WLAN, what a st... request. Well it may be a unusual idea but it has some reason: my 5 year old wants to play the Sbax touch in her room and I (as a physisist) have seen studies on WLAN/GPRS/UMTS and I just feel that I DONT WANT to expose a child to unnecessary digial waves as long as a CAT5/6 is just in the room. Why poise the air if a cable can eliminate all the pulute.

Yes, you may disagree with what I think, but thats ok and we should all use WLAN/UMTS in a way we want it. I use it, but only where I need it!!
Thanks

NewBuyer
2010-03-18, 23:42
There is nothing in the touch menus that will do that..

So the Touch doesn't automatically disable the wifi when an ethernet cable is plugged into it, like the SB/Transporter units do? If so, that's disappointing...

JJZolx
2010-03-18, 23:55
So the Touch doesn't automatically disable the wifi when an ethernet cable is plugged into it, like the SB/Transporter units do? If so, that's disappointing...

I would think that it does, just like all other Squeezeboxes have.

Mnyb
2010-03-19, 00:01

That would make sense small cpu why load drivers that are not needed.

As linux noobish here is is easy to check if the wifi is running ?

usch
2010-03-19, 04:57
Not all of them, the SB1 definitely doesn't. I had to remove the WiFi modules to shut them off. But yes, I would indeed expect that all newer SBs do that.

Your router or access point should be able to tell you. That's how I found out that my SB1s were still trying to connect via WiFi even though they were already wired.

flattermann
2010-03-19, 05:04
That would make sense small cpu why load drivers that are not needed.

I've just checked it on the Radio:

# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:20:XX:XX:XX
inet addr:192.168.178.50 Bcast:192.168.178.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:3809 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2764 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:412734 (403.0 KiB) TX bytes:393217 (384.0 KiB)
Base address:0x8000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:20:XX:XX:XX
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:27 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:12832 (12.5 KiB) TX bytes:93 (93.0 B)

So the WLAN is really still activated.

If you really want to deactivate WLAN, it's maybe the best to remove the kernel module.

To remove the WLAN kernel module (Atheros) for the Radio:

# rmmod ar6000

(See "lsmod" for a list of loaded modules)

Valentino
2010-03-19, 06:48
I do think that many users would appreciate being able to switch off the WiFi all together easily from the menu when using ethernet. In my opinion this should be a high priority in the upcoming server releases.

mozart_puccini's absolutely right. Why do unnecessary experiment's on our children's health?

C'mon, Logitech. You actually risk doing a Toyota here.

weresloth
2010-03-19, 08:42
mozart_puccini's absolutely right. Why do unnecessary experiment's on our children's health?

C'mon, Logitech. You actually risk doing a Toyota here.

I concur completely. In fact, I feel we should organize ourselves and petition microwave oven manufacturers, as well as cordless phone companies and bluetooth device makers to stop selling their products, as they also operate in the same radio spectrum as wireless network devices.

Phil Leigh
2010-03-19, 09:28
I concur completely. In fact, I feel we should organize ourselves and petition microwave oven manufacturers, as well as cordless phone companies and bluetooth device makers to stop selling their products, as they also operate in the same radio spectrum as wireless network devices.

Chortle chortle...

We also need to shut down the large hadron collider in case it melts the planet... oh, hang on a minute, that's operated by physicists so it must be OK

Mnyb
2010-03-19, 09:42
it's pure FUD wifi is not "dangerous" people have no sense of proportions at all .

Do you perhaps venture outside your home ? what do we eat smoke and drink ?
Being to the gym lately ?

There is formalin in hair shampoo, what about synthetic sweeteners in light products ?

Statistically there are as much drunk drivers as there are Taxi drivers on a busy street, you could be runned over anytime ?

That candy bar you are munching on is probably million times more dangerous to your health than wifi ? hardened fats urgh ?

If you give the children candy you can give them wifi too, which is the largest health hazard ?

JohnSwenson
2010-03-19, 10:27

The Touch DOES do a form of shutting down the wifi radio if that connection is not being used, but that does not necessarily completely disable the radio. If you have a USB or SD card plugged in they are being shared via samba and that might still be accessed via wifi from another device even if the touch's player is currently being fed from a wire. So the wifi is still there but not doing much. Every so often it keeps track of whats out there and if any body wants to connect.

The command I gave shuts it down completely, period.

John S.

qirex
2010-03-19, 11:25

Also whoever is responsible for that big ball of gas in the sky that mercilessly broadcasts massive amounts of electromagnetic radiation at the earth for HOURS a day.

Mnyb
2010-03-19, 12:37
Also whoever is responsible for that big ball of gas in the sky that mercilessly broadcasts massive amounts of electromagnetic radiation at the earth for HOURS a day.

Thats actually an unshielded fusion reactor !!

mozart_puccini
2010-03-19, 13:38
Well, I knew that I would triger such concersations and people starting to make fun of someone trying to be reasonable. I truly appreciate John's useful comments on how to switch off the WLAN devide, that is what I want to do.

BTW, let me give you my thinking concerning the discussion about microwave and all the other things which we are exposed to anyhow:

YES, we are exposed to microwavem YES, we receive UMTS and other micro waves all over. Compare micro wave to radio actrivity. A few waves dont kill you tha tis right, BUT the waves accumulate like x-rays in your body. So the goal must not be to resignate and give up because there is too much radio out there, the way forward shoule be INTELLIGENT use of digital micro waves where we need them. Do I need WLAN in my childs room if I have a CAT7 Ethernet plug in her room? I hope you agree that its foolish to expose a child to more waves if a CAT7 is availabe. Thanks for all the jokes. Time will tell. I hope your jokes all remain jokes in 10 - 15 years from now. In that sense.

NewBuyer
2010-03-20, 19:44
The Touch DOES do a form of shutting down the wifi radio if that connection is not being used, but that does not necessarily completely disable the radio. If you have a USB or SD card plugged in they are being shared via samba and that might still be accessed via wifi from another device even if the touch's player is currently being fed from a wire. So the wifi is still there but not doing much. Every so often it keeps track of whats out there and if any body wants to connect.

The command I gave shuts it down completely, period.

John S.

Hi John Swenson - I too am grateful for the extremely helpful information. Thanks!

To Mozart Puccini - Like you (and many others), I prefer to minimize these exposures in my home - there is nothing wrong with that, especially when children are involved. Try to have a sense of humor with some of the other posts around here - it's just a convenient way that some people express their opinion. After all, it is actually kind of an amusing simple line of reasoning, don't you agree? If something's popular, legal, and can't be perceived with the senses, then it clearly must be absolutely & exactly identical to all else that fits that same description, and therefore must "obviously" be perfectly ok and fine - right? I hope so! :D

ghostrider
2010-03-21, 12:03
I can't figure out why you would buy a touch for a five year old.

Valentino
2010-03-21, 12:27
Been having fun, have we?

Some people like to turn off radio transmitters they don't need. We don't know yet how well our specimen react to them just yet, so why not provide us waaaay too careful family men with an Off switch?

jamesg
2010-03-22, 12:57
The proverbial 'Off Switch' ... the wives of us family men are hoping for one too!

JJZolx
2010-03-22, 15:58

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. The radio may still be on (I have no way to tell), but it's certainly not connected to the network. If you were to set up a Touch from scratch with a wired connection then it wouldn't even have credentials to connect wirelessly. Plus, the wireless and wired interfacs use the same MAC address, so I don't know how it would work in any case.

I just ran a little test, changing from a wireless to a wired connection (so the wireless credentials may still be stored somewhere). As soon as the Touch connected to the wired network it was immediately dropped from the list of connected clients shown on my wireless access point.

jstraw
2010-03-24, 10:52
"BUT the waves accumulate like x-rays in your body."

Well, alrighty then!

Phil Leigh
2010-03-24, 11:53
"BUT the waves accumulate like x-rays in your body."

Well, alrighty then!

yeah - I missed that bit... so waves accumulate do they... funny that, I thought they just passed through, like a... like a ... WAVE!

X-rays do NOT "accumulate" - unlike mercury in the blood stream!. This is total BS. What actually happens is that the chance of spontaneous cell mutation increases with increased exposure. It's a probability thing.

erland
2010-03-24, 12:16
yeah - I missed that bit... so waves accumulate do they... funny that, I thought they just passed through, like a... like a ... WAVE!

X-rays do NOT "accumulate" - unlike mercury in the blood stream!.

But...music waves accumulate in my head and I consider my head to be a part of my body. At least I can often remember them later if they have passed through my head at least once.
:-)

However, I can't say I've so far remembered any WiFi waves...

Valentino
2010-03-24, 13:28
Now I wonder what prolonged exposure to Wagner will do to me.

jstraw
2010-03-24, 19:00

X-rays do NOT "accumulate" - unlike mercury in the blood stream!. This is total BS. What actually happens is that the chance of spontaneous cell mutation increases with increased exposure. It's a probability thing.

"...and I (as a physisist)..."

I should have included that too, for added humor.

NewBuyer
2010-03-24, 20:14
...However, I can't say I've so far remembered any WiFi waves...

That's because they killed those particular brain cells along the way. You shouldn't worry about it though, since you will of course forget all about this by tomorrow... ;)

dennis55
2010-03-25, 02:15
You will have an irresistible urge to parade down the Champs Elysee in a swaggering manner :)

Now I wonder what prolonged exposure to Wagner will do to me.

KarolG
2010-03-30, 07:56
Hi,

I plan to use SqueezeBox Touch only as digital transport - connected via S/PDIF to my Benchmark DAC-1.
The only thing which bothers me is the quality of digital stream - an I mean the level of jitter.
There are many causes of jitter. One of them may be an electromagnetic radiation caused by WiFi transmiter. This may have an unnecessary influance to the electric parts of Touch.

So the question is: If I turn off Wifi - will it increase sound quality ?

The question is for beta-testers who have an audiophile hi-end equipment.

Phil Leigh
2010-03-30, 10:10
Hi,

I plan to use SqueezeBox Touch only as digital transport - connected via S/PDIF to my Benchmark DAC-1.
The only thing which bothers me is the quality of digital stream - an I mean the level of jitter.
There are many causes of jitter. One of them may be an electromagnetic radiation caused by WiFi transmiter. This may have an unnecessary influance to the electric parts of Touch.

So the question is: If I turn off Wifi - will it increase sound quality ?

The question is for beta-testers who have an audiophile hi-end equipment.

No it won't.

DrNic
2010-04-03, 07:31
Is it impossible to just accept that the OP wants to minimise ANY possible chance (no matter if it is remote) that Electro-magnetic radiation may have on his family?
Come on, you don't have to agree with it, just accept that it is his wish to do so.
BTW love the fact we have so many learned people on here (or is that access to Wikipedia - I can't tell) :)

Phil Leigh
2010-04-03, 08:03
Is it impossible to just accept that the OP wants to minimise ANY possible chance (no matter if it is remote) that Electro-magnetic radiation may have on his family?
Come on, you don't have to agree with it, just accept that it is his wish to do so.
BTW love the fact we have so many learned people on here (or is that access to Wikipedia - I can't tell) :)

It wasn't the OP who provoked that response, it was this post:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=526440&postcount=11

This is the sort of hyperbolic twaddle we could do without on this - or indeed any - forum IMO.

JJZolx
2010-04-03, 12:25
Either way, this request is going to see a lot more traffic once the Touch is released. It would be foolish to ignore it.

Valentino
2010-04-03, 12:33

This is the sort of hyperbolic twaddle we could do without on this - or indeed any - forum IMO.

My post is the hyperbolic twaddle?

NewBuyer
2010-04-04, 18:34

Hi Phil - Hey Valentino's post seems fine to me too - I wonder what's the issue?

mfw
2010-04-04, 20:31
"Doing a Toyota"?

NewBuyer
2010-04-11, 20:35
"Doing a Toyota"?

Well, I suppose that could be it. :) I guess only Phil can say if that part of Valentino's post is what got to him.

I guess it's (hopefully) possible Logitech might install a future menu item that would be able to completely shut off the wifi in the Touch - especially since John S seems to have found a way to hack it via code command approach (even though, as he says, it won't persist between power cycles and/or firmware updates). If Logitech implements this, I will almost certainly buy a Touch (or two!)...

jstraw
2010-04-11, 21:16
What's the big deal? Making a hat out of foil is not difficult.

NewBuyer
2010-04-11, 22:43
What's the big deal? Making a hat out of foil is not difficult.

Ha! You still wear yours as a loin-cloth, right? :D

jstraw
2010-04-12, 05:11
Ha! You still wear yours as a loin-cloth, right? :D

It depends on what electronic device I'm seeking protection from.

NewBuyer
2010-04-16, 23:32
For anyone who wants to permanently disable wifi from the Touch: Would it perhaps be just as easy to just open it up, and remove an internal wifi card?

Does anybody know please, if this is even possible with the Touch?

Elmstrom
2010-04-17, 00:12
It would be nice to beable to shut off the wifi to save power, thats the only argument i can see for it. That being said i am to lazy to do anything about it unless it automaticly shuts off when ethernet cable present :)

NewBuyer
2010-04-20, 04:09
For anyone who wants to permanently disable wifi from the Touch: Would it perhaps be just as easy to just open it up, and remove an internal wifi card?

Please, does anybody know the answer to these?

JohnSwenson
2010-04-20, 10:38

The WiFi module on the Touch is not a plug in card. Its a surface mount soldered in module. Any attempt at removing this would almost certainly destroy the Touch unless you have a $20K SMD rework station and are skilled at its use. Not recommended.

John S.

wimpf
2010-04-20, 22:52
Hi

I think it is also possible to disable wifi this way:

edit wlan startup script:
vi /etc/init.d/wlan

insert after the first line:
(go down with cursor)
:i
exit;

and save:
:wq!

do a reboot of the machine:
reboot

and after reboot check with:
ifconfig && lsmod

You can see there is no more wlan0 interface up and also no loaded modules.

Greetings,
wimpf

Mnyb
2010-04-21, 09:45
There is nothing in the touch menus that will do that, but there is a way to do it. You ssh into the touch and type the command:

This shuts the radio off completely. Unfortunately it goes away when you unplug the touch. To always have it turned off you need to edit one of the config files so the command gets run at every boot.

To do this, ssh into the touch then do:

cd /etc/init.d
vi rc5.local
(press the 'i' key and then type:)
(press the escape key, type:)
:wq (thats colon key, w key, q key)

This creates the rc5.local file which will be run every time the touch boots, the iwconfig line turns off the transmitter.

This will stay in place until you load new firmware.

That should do it.

John S.

should it not be rcS.local file ?

Mnyb
2010-04-21, 09:58
Thank-you wimpf i saved 3% memory by not loading the modules.
I might not be much but Touch do not have that much memory.
And since i pulled cable to it i wont be using wlan on it.

I have wlan on SB3 Radio and Controller , so I'm not gone over to the aluminum foil hat crowd ;)

Just wants to turn off unused stuff on the Touch.

JohnSwenson
2010-04-21, 13:33
should it not be rcS.local file ?

Yes, typo on my part. Sometimes the fingers just do their own thing!

John S.

JohnSwenson
2010-04-21, 13:42
Hi

and after reboot check with:
ifconfig && lsmod

You can see there is no more wlan0 interface up and also no loaded modules.

Greetings,
wimpf

Most of the drivers on the Touch are compiled into the kernel, not loaded at runtime so they don't show up in the lsmod list.

Unfortunately the wlan0 interface not being seen does not guarantee that the hardware is turned off. The hardware can still be on even if the kernel has not setup an interface data structure for it. Its probably not transmitting, but there is no guarantee.

John S.

Claus_m
2010-04-23, 04:23
Most of the drivers on the Touch are compiled into the kernel, not loaded at runtime so they don't show up in the lsmod list.

Unfortunately the wlan0 interface not being seen does not guarantee that the hardware is turned off. The hardware can still be on even if the kernel has not setup an interface data structure for it. Its probably not transmitting, but there is no guarantee.

John S.

Can someone check/confirm, if the WLAN is really deactivated after the changes?

Mnyb
2010-04-23, 10:12
Use both John Swenson's and wimpf's ideas simultaneously.

the rcS.local file turns of the power it's very off then.

wimpf's edit the wlan startup script unloads some modules at start up.
These used 1% and 2% cpu not much but anyway.

I also removed the wlan0 interface completely from my /etc/network/interfaces file

Maybe one could use netstumbler to try to see it, if one is unsure ?

It's good enough for my purpose turn it off the save me the cpu/mem overhead to be used by other stuff.

MrRalph
2010-04-23, 12:32
I out-commented Samba in /etc/init.d/rcS

# Start Samba
# if [ -x /etc/init.d/samba ]; then
# /etc/init.d/samba start &
# fi

and wlan

# Start wlan
# /etc/init.d/wlan start

soundcheck
2010-04-24, 09:37
I out-commented Samba in /etc/init.d/rcS

# Start Samba
# if [ -x /etc/init.d/samba ]; then
# /etc/init.d/samba start &
# fi

and wlan

# Start wlan
# /etc/init.d/wlan start

I think that's a good solution. I would use this solution and add John's line, that it looks like:

# /etc/init.d/wlan start

----

What is Samba used for on the Touch?

Cheers

Mnyb
2010-04-24, 09:48
----

What is Samba used for on the Touch?

Cheers

For sharing the attached USB drive , Hey you got a free NAS in the deal :)

Peter314
2010-04-24, 11:16

Have you checked the latest research..?

http://miscellanea.wellingtongrey.net/comics/2007-05-27--the-truth-about-wireless-devices.png

NewBuyer
2010-04-27, 00:05

http://miscellanea.wellingtongrey.net/comics/2007-05-27--the-truth-about-wireless-devices.png

Hey Peter I love it - I haven't seen that particular comic in a while! Ridicule-tactics are, if nothing else, at least sometimes creative and humorous. :)

These types of ridicule-comics usually at least under their surface suggest/assume, that science is God-like with all knowledge and already knows or has established everything possible about the thing in question. Sometimes they also implicitly suggest that product designers and marketers are "scientists" concerned for your health, who obviously would NEVER try to sell you something possibly dangerous! So anybody who is ever concerned, must be ignorant/irrational/crazy etc :D

On a less funny note: I remember seeing similar (perhaps even early versions of the same) comics used, to ridicule people concerned about the possible cumulative unhealthy effects of tobacco (and still earlier, for asbestos...) Sometimes you will also see marketers, or such ridicule-comics, making fun of concerned consumers by portraying them as older or "mature" (or at least somehow "old-fashioned"), and therefore(!) somehow childish or stupid.

Hey after all, why not just buy things now and think later - after all, you & your family all have good health insurance, don't you? ;)

Phil Leigh
2010-04-27, 01:00

Defective cars can kill and injure people... But they weren't deliberately designed to be defective. It was an accident.

A Wi-FI product is DESIGNED to use wi-fi. Most (portable) Wi-FI products don't have an alternative connection option. Therefore, not providing an obvious option to disable the WI-FI on a WI-FI product cannot be considered negligence or an accidental design oversight and should not be discussed in the same breath. Is my point.

NewBuyer
2010-04-27, 02:30
Defective cars can kill and injure people... But they weren't deliberately designed to be defective. It was an accident.

A Wi-FI product is DESIGNED to use wi-fi. Most (portable) Wi-FI products don't have an alternative connection option. Therefore, not providing an obvious option to disable the WI-FI on a WI-FI product cannot be considered negligence or an accidental design oversight and should not be discussed in the same breath. Is my point.

Hi Phil,

FWIW, I see your point and (as usual) you seem to make good sense. However, of course the other recent currently-branded Logitech products in the Squeezebox family line, also have both connection options and do auto-powerdown the wifi connection with wired use. So,...

Oh well. :) Personally I hope Logitech will soon say something on the matter, and/or better still, put an appropriate wifi-poweroff option in the Touch user menus. Especially, since there are some incredibly talented people in this thread that have already found some promising hacks, that seem to prove it can be properly done. I wish Logitech would pay you guys for doing that (or at least give you free Touch's, we could call it further beta-test!) ;)

MCG555
2010-05-16, 04:49
So if I understood correctly:

- If I use ethernet to WLAN is still swiched on as well
- However,if I understood the info correct WLAN send/receives massively less radiation into the room. Is that correct??

I've just checked it on the Radio:

# ifconfig

Thanks for the clarification...

JJZolx
2010-05-16, 08:02
Therefore, not providing an obvious option to disable the WI-FI on a WI-FI product cannot be considered negligence or an accidental design oversight and should not be discussed in the same breath.

No, you can be sure that leaving it out was anything but accidental. Someone undoubtedly brought it up during the development of the product and the decision was made that it was too much work or too difficult.

Mnyb
2010-05-16, 08:48
Id love to to see a "Turn of evil death ray" option ;)

Hopefully they name it "powersave bla bla" or something .

They probably deemed an off option a waste of time implementing, especially if the user suddenly want to use wifi ? then all things wifi must be turned on again via some clever mechanism.
Does the OS on board the Touch supports that without rebooting ?
Make it even more messy with unnecessary options cant be good.
If making both interfaces more or less active all the time makes it "just work" for most people it's probably the best thing to do.

But logically , what can logitech do now. If they implemented it now they would somehow justify the critics and deem the new age loonies "right".

We can't have that, the majority of humanity lives in superstition and medieval darkness anyway, it would be wrong to add to that.

It's obviously no point for logitech (or anyone else what I'm doing) to use some kind of rational argument, when people are irrational they better stay away from this tread.

There are 1000's of things 1000 times more "dangerous" than wifi in everyday life .

Wonder how the wifi rays interact with the chemicals in the diet coke I just drank...

325xi
2010-05-16, 12:47
You're missing the point. Radio energy diminished to 50% within inches from antenna. Being very close to transmitter is not the same as just being in the same room. Having extra wifi transmitter very close to other audio components and cables that can possibly be not well isolated from EMI/RF isn't necessarily a good idea

Mnyb
2010-05-16, 14:06
You're missing the point. Radio energy diminished to 50% within inches from antenna. Being very close to transmitter is not the same as just being in the same room. Having extra wifi transmitter very close to other audio components and cables that can possibly be not well isolated from EMI/RF isn't necessarily a good idea

The origin of this tread was the FUD about wifi being dangerous to children..

Not the audiophile concern about disturbing the other Equipment in the rack.
How valid that is I have no idea at all, I have not heard any obvious. difference since disabling it on my Touch , but I use shielded cables and my equipment is grounded.

But I suspect if wifi where a problem for an audio circuit the Touch itself would be the first victim as it's circuits is closest to the source and no shielding . But then again I use the spdif output.

This would be possible to test with audio diff maker I suppose ?

More jokes:

From the front-line of FUD statistics:
"A fall from a tall building is 100% deadly to a pregnant woman"

MCG555
2010-05-17, 00:22
I gladly ask my question again because I am not sure if I understood correctly:

- If I use ethernet the WLAN is still swiched on as well - this seams clear so far.
- However,if I understood the info correct, WLAN sends/receives massively less radiation into the room (see attached info below). Is that correct??

(info from 1. page of that thread)
# ifconfig

Thanks for the clarification...

rblnr
2010-05-20, 11:39
I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. The radio may still be on (I have no way to tell), but it's certainly not connected to the network. If you were to set up a Touch from scratch with a wired connection then it wouldn't even have credentials to connect wirelessly. Plus, the wireless and wired interfacs use the same MAC address, so I don't know how it would work in any case.

I just ran a little test, changing from a wireless to a wired connection (so the wireless credentials may still be stored somewhere). As soon as the Touch connected to the wired network it was immediately dropped from the list of connected clients shown on my wireless access point.

So then wifi control of a wired Touch is not possible? No iPeng or Controller? Or is there a way to get both? Would like the reliability of wired but want control.

toby10
2010-05-20, 11:46
So then wifi control of a wired Touch is not possible? No iPeng or Controller? Or is there a way to get both? Would like the reliability of wired but want control.

iPeng & Controller connect through your WiFi router, not directly to the Touch.
So yes, both is the answer. :)
Wired Touch controlled by iPeng/Controller via WiFi.

rblnr
2010-05-20, 11:55
iPeng & Controller connect through your WiFi router, not directly to the Touch.
So yes, both is the answer. :)
Wired Touch controlled by iPeng/Controller via WiFi.

So to belabor, wifi does not switch off when the Touch is connected via wire to the network?

Makes no sense that you couldn't get both, but some posts seem to indicate you have to choose.

Light Bulb!: got it, nevermind

NewBuyer
2010-05-23, 00:40
...death ray... waste of time... messy... unnecessary options... "just work" probably best... illogical... new age loonies... superstition and medieval darkness... irrational... 1000's of things 1000 times more "dangerous"...

Mynb, you are hilarious! :)

I first thought you accidentally left out "old fashioned" in your rant, but then I saw the "medieval" part. I suppose the people wanting to disable the Touch wifi, must thus be both medieval and new-age? ;)

I certainly hope Logitech doesn't think about this like you do! Now just imagine, if only you could turn your ridicule powers toward the service of good... :D

liffy99
2012-02-15, 01:19
I've installed a Buffalo wireless bridge to provide an Ethernet feed to the Touch. It shows it is connected to my wifi network. Then disabled the WLAN on the TOUCH ( tt -WLAN from ssh) and plugged a cable from the bridge to the Touch. Now I can't see the Touch on the network at all! As I have also disabled the IR remote control and screen I'm a bit stuck - neither can I get access using the WINSPC / putty programme I used to install Souncheck's mods.
Any idea where I have gone wrong ?

Phil Leigh
2012-02-15, 01:39
I've installed a Buffalo wireless bridge to provide an Ethernet feed to the Touch. It shows it is connected to my wifi network. Then disabled the WLAN on the TOUCH ( tt -WLAN from ssh) and plugged a cable from the bridge to the Touch. Now I can't see the Touch on the network at all! As I have also disabled the IR remote control and screen I'm a bit stuck - neither can I get access using the WINSPC / putty programme I used to install Souncheck's mods.

Hold the little button on the back in for about a minute...

guidof
2012-02-15, 10:58

After you've done what Phil suggests and thus restored factory settings, download and install the Ethernet version of TT3.0. It will automatically disable WLAN and you should be in business. Works with a bridge for me.

Guido F.

Mnyb
2012-02-15, 11:26
You can manually edit the startup scripts so that wlan never starts

liffy99
2012-02-20, 09:24
All sorted after a factory reset - thanks.
What I didn't realise is that tt -s on the Touch interface shows 'Modification WLAN - Disabled' which actually means the WLAN is ON ! (The status refers to the intention of the modification, not the actual status of the parameter). A bit confusing but there now . . .

guidof
2012-02-20, 15:32
All sorted after a factory reset - thanks.
What I didn't realise is that tt -s on the Touch interface shows 'Modification WLAN - Disabled' which actually means the WLAN is ON ! (The status refers to the intention of the modification, not the actual status of the parameter). A bit confusing but there now . . .

Yes, it IS confusing.

Glad you were able to make it work.

Happy listening!

Guido F.

nyaskivor
2012-10-04, 11:34
You can manually edit the startup scripts so that wlan never starts
Hello,
I have read this discussion and would love to switch off the WLAN.
Don't know how to adjust the lines in the Logitech Media Server and where to do it. Only got my PC and no Linux and don't know about programming. Doesn't the Touch come with a tiny server built in?
Really want a 'WLAN OFF'-button in the software. As in iPads and notebooks...
If I could do that then I would buy 5 more units right away...and I know some people that would too.
Peter

Mnyb
2012-10-04, 13:43
Sometimes you do things because you can , or for neatness . I used information aviable in old treads on this forum to do it ( there is a search function and I outlined the details a couple of weeks ago ) . my thought was to maybe that the CPU cycles could be better used to power theUI or some such , and for fun. If you want to learn some Linux this is a fun exercise .
you have to enable remote acess on the Touch , then use SSH via a terminal on OSX and Linux a terminal is already aviable.
windows user like putty for this

But there really is no valid rationale for doing it, it does not kill you or your children or do bad thing to soundqality .
so enjoy the music instead if you find this mysterius .

nyaskivor
2012-10-05, 08:21
If someone built an (official/unofficial) update of the software. Updated with the function WLAN on/off. That would be so nice. Like an app in the server but in this case the tiny Touch server. I would definitely buy such an app even if it's open software...

garym
2012-10-05, 18:32
If someone built an (official/unofficial) update of the software. Updated with the function WLAN on/off. That would be so nice. .

You can do this now with TT3.0. I have no idea why one would want to, but it is easy enough to do.

nyaskivor
2012-10-07, 12:58
TT3 sounds interesting. Looks a bit tricky to manage but I think I'll give it a try... And if something goes wrong, then one could always return to fabric/standard adjustments I suppose...?

You can do this now with TT3.0. I have no idea why one would want to, but it is easy enough to do.