PDA

View Full Version : Adding "All Stations" To Home Screen?

PeteCress
2010-03-16, 16:20
In the interest of placating a technophobic user, I'd like to add a new "Home Screen" option: something like "A Whole Lot Of Stations".

That way, the user can simply:

1) Turn on the device

2) Choose "A Whole Lot Of Stations"

3) Explore to their heart's content just by twiddling the dial.

Granted more than a certain number of stations" is probably not realistic... bc I'm guessing it would too long to populate the list.

But can anybody think of an existing plug-in, application, or something that would be in that vein? i.e. A lot of stations from a lot of places without drilling down though many menus?

usch
2010-03-16, 18:33
How would you dial through a flat list of 10.000 stations?

(Just guessing the number, probably there are even more.)

PeteCress
2010-03-16, 19:59
How would you dial through a flat list of 10.000 stations?

(Just guessing the number, probably there are even more.)
Sloppy wording on my part, now revised.

We just want a lot of stations w/minimal drilling down.

Maybe some automated approach to creating a humongous playlist?

garym
2010-03-17, 04:28
why not just add your favorite 100 or so stations to your FAVORITES list.

bpa
2010-03-17, 04:47
In the interest of placating a technophobic user
I would have thought showing a list of 10k stations would intimidate and not placate such a user.

All you need to do is create a text file with list of station names and their associated URLs and then use a text editor to change it into an OPML file by a couple of cut & paste and replace strings. Then make the OPML a favorite. If the OPML file is on a web server it can be used via MySB.com

However your main difficulty is getting the list of stations as collating and maintaining station lists are usually done by commercial organisations (e.g. reciva, shoutcast, rokuradio, mikesradioworld, radiotime etc.) and do not make it easy to dump a complete list of stations.

toby10
2010-03-17, 05:15
Seems rather silly to me. Why would I want to sift through many thousands of of unrelated stations to find the few that are of interest to me?
Four *clicks* from the Home Menu and I'm presented with a list of related stations. I'll take four *clicks* over thousands of *clicks* sorting through the mess.

PeteCress
2010-03-17, 08:02
Seems rather silly to me. Why would I want to sift through many thousands of of unrelated stations to find the few that are of interest to me?
Four *clicks* from the Home Menu and I'm presented with a list of related stations. I'll take four *clicks* over thousands of *clicks* sorting through the mess.
Seems silly to me too - but not to the user.

The idea seems tb to support the "short wave radio" image: somebody sits down with the thing and just tunes different stations, sort of exploring the air waves. There's a dial: just twiddle it and see different stations.

Why can't they drill down a few - or a half-dozen - levels like everybody else? Not my problem or my business to ask - at least more than once...-).

linvale
2010-03-18, 03:07
Doesn't the internet radio selection basically do this already - starting with staff pics and other localities and genres looks like a fairly good way to do this?

toby10
2010-03-18, 04:34
Doesn't the internet radio selection basically do this already - starting with staff pics and other localities and genres looks like a fairly good way to do this?

Yes, which was my point. :)

But the OP's client wants a home menu item that displays every/all internet radio station in existence (available to SB players).
Why anyone would want to sort through tens of thousands of stations including every genre, type, language, and the many duplicate feeds is beyond me.
ShoutCast alone lists over 33,000 streams, and ShoutCast does not include every stream out there.

But to each his own. ;)

usch
2010-03-18, 12:02
The idea seems tb to support the "short wave radio" image: somebody sits down with the thing and just tunes different stations, sort of exploring the air waves. There's a dial: just twiddle it and see different stations.

Just seeing the names wouldn't help much. To mimic the traditional radio experience you would need to play every stream immediately as soon as it is highlighted on the display, without having to press the Play button first, and then the Back button to get back to the menu. Maybe this could be done with an app, but even then you would still get a delay due to the initial buffering.

usch
2010-03-18, 12:20
ShoutCast alone lists over 33,000 streams, and ShoutCast does not include every stream out there.

Let's see. Assuming you can dial through 4 stations per second (if you still want to read the station names, not just skip over them), that would take 8250 seconds, or in other words more than 2:15 hours. Just to dial through the list, without even playing a single stream.

I think the user simply doesn't realize how many stations there are and that you need to organize them somehow, or otherwise you would get lost quickly. Reminds me of the old joke "Can you give me a print-out of the internet, please?".

PeteCress
2010-03-18, 14:46
Let's see. Assuming you can dial through 4 stations per second (if you still want to read the station names, not just skip over them), that would take 8250 seconds, or in other words more than 2:15 hours. Just to dial through the list, without even playing a single stream.

I think the user simply doesn't realize how many stations there are and that you need to organize them somehow, or otherwise you would get lost quickly. Reminds me of the old joke "Can you give me a print-out of the internet, please?".

I would agree and it seems to me like this has become a dead issue.

Also, in light of Toby10's observation about creating Favorites from a search result set (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=526204#post526204) it seems to me like there's a pretty good approximation: just create some generic searches, add them as favorites, and teach the user how to navigate to the Favorites.