Hi everybody,i'm new here,i've got a question...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amit145
    • Mar 2010

Hi everybody,i'm new here,i've got a question...

Hello!

I have a problem regarding my squeezbox..
    the problem is that i CANT play DTS/DD/AC3 sound format audio files on my audio system under this situation:
    My Squeezbox is connected Via coax cable to a DAC (valab nos),
    the DAC is connected to my 7.1 AV receiver,HK AVR 255 (via analog interconnect into an alalog input).
    Now the only problem i have is playing audio files (that are on my PC) that are in 5.1 format (such as DTS audio cd etc'...)
    P.S: if i remove the DAC and connect the Squeezbox straight to the AV receiver,i have NO problem at all hearing any kind of audio formats what so ever... so i guess the problem has to do with the 5.1 to 2.0 decoding that is not possible in the VALAB dac (it never ment to do so..)
    ANY suggestion you guys have for me?
    Thanks!
  • Honva
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by amit145
    Hello!

I have a problem regarding my squeezbox..
    the problem is that i CANT play DTS/DD/AC3 sound format audio files on my audio system under this situation:
    My Squeezbox is connected Via coax cable to a DAC (valab nos),
    the DAC is connected to my 7.1 AV receiver,HK AVR 255 (via analog interconnect into an alalog input).
    Now the only problem i have is playing audio files (that are on my PC) that are in 5.1 format (such as DTS audio cd etc'...)
    P.S: if i remove the DAC and connect the Squeezbox straight to the AV receiver,i have NO problem at all hearing any kind of audio formats what so ever... so i guess the problem has to do with the 5.1 to 2.0 decoding that is not possible in the VALAB dac (it never ment to do so..)
    ANY suggestion you guys have for me?
    Thanks!
    Correct me if I am wrong. Valab NOS uses a very old chip for CD audio only. It only has dts/ac3 pass-through, not decoding. This is why you cannot play dts/ac3 with it.

Squeezebox when playing dts/ac3 outputs the original coded stream to the digital out. It relies a dts/ac3 receiver to decode them.

Comment

• amit145
      • Mar 2010

Hello honva,

as far as i know it uses a TDA1543 chip,
      i think too that a DAC(any dac) is not design to downmix 5.1 to 2.0.

from your saying i understand i've got 2 options:
      1.connecting the SB straigh to my receiver and giving up the DAC
      2.convert all my 5.1 audio files into a format of which the DAC can handle (PCM?) Do you familiar with a good tool for that?

the first option is almost not acceptable..

Thanks

Comment

• alZmtbr
        • Dec 2006

which squeezebox?

Does it have both optical and coax Digi outs? Does your rcvr and DAC have one or the other or both? No problem using both digital outputs of the SB simultaneously - one for the DAC for two-channles use, the other to the rcvr for multi-channel listening. Just remember what is playing to use the correct input selector on the rcvr!

Might that work?

Allan

Comment

• amit145
          • Mar 2010

Allan,

Its the squeesbox classic and yes,your tip is working!
          One big issue though.. Im going to replace my AV receiver with an integrated stereo amp
          which is one without digital input/multy channel options so my problem remains..
          Im gonna need probably to try and find a solution at the files level..
          So,what is the best way to convert multy channel audio files into 2 channel PCM?

Comment

• Phil Leigh
            • Apr 2005

Allan,

Its the squeesbox classic and yes,your tip is working!
            One big issue though.. Im going to replace my AV receiver with an integrated stereo amp
            which is one without digital input/multy channel options so my problem remains..
            Im gonna need probably to try and find a solution at the files level..
            So,what is the best way to convert multy channel audio files into 2 channel PCM?
            Foobar2000
            You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
            Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
            Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
            Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• amit145
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Phil Leigh
              Foobar2000
              I've tryied foobar already,
              it does accepts the 5.1 audio file (*.wav) and convert it to a 2 channel 44.1Khz file but still when i try to play the new file - i get the annoying noisy sound (bzzzzzzz) instead of music..

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                • Apr 2005

I've tryied foobar already,
                it does accepts the 5.1 audio file (*.wav) and convert it to a 2 channel 44.1Khz file but still when i try to play the new file - i get the annoying noisy sound (bzzzzzzz) instead of music..
                have you installed the dts plugin?
                You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
                Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
                Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
                Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• amit145
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Phil Leigh
                  have you installed the dts plugin?
                  Im afraid not..
                  which Plugin?

Comment

• amit145
                    • Mar 2010

Ok man,thats weird...
                    I've downloaded what you were talking about - the foo_input_dts plugin and
                    put it on the componnent folder.
                    i even uninstalled foobar and installed tne latest version.
                    still the same - i cant here or play those damn files!
                    ??

Comment

Working...