PDA

View Full Version : Continuing problems with Squeezebox



Matthew
2004-08-12, 09:07
Jack
Thanks for the reply, there are a few things about my situation that suggest it isn't simply
network problems.

The squeezebox is physically connected to the wireless router which is then connecting to the
PC where the music is held. Thus the network is still working fine, it is only when you
try and run the squeezebox wirelessly that these problems occur. This rules out any interferance.
The buffer is always full these pops and gaps don't seem to correspond to any loss of the buffer.

Could the problem be something to do with the fact the network is 11g and the squeezebox is 11b
perhaps there are incompatabilities with the network? Could it be the fact that the 11g is
set for network burst or something.

However if this was the case wouldn't the buffer slowly empty, the sound just cut and then return
when full. This is not happening there are just pops and squeaks and small gaps in sound.

The collection is around 5,000 songs mainly MP3 although a small number are AAC.

You also have to remember that this was working fine for 6 months until the firmware v23 update.
Nothing else has changed.

Your last point about not getting a return I don't agree with, everything was working fine
until an official update went awry (the firmware update failure) from which point the
squeezebox does not work as sold.

I personally believe that there are a number of squeezeboxes out there that have something
different about them that is causing problems like these, there are several other messages
other the past two months similar to this. As far as I know no one has come up with a solution.
Matt

Jack Coates
2004-08-12, 09:27
>
> Jack
> Thanks for the reply, there are a few things about my situation that
> suggest it isn't simply
> network problems.
>
> The squeezebox is physically connected to the wireless router which is
> then connecting to the
> PC where the music is held. Thus the network is still working fine, it is
> only when you
> try and run the squeezebox wirelessly that these problems occur. This
> rules out any interferance.

I disagree, but whatever floats your boat. I betcha you don't have the
same card in your server as the SB has.

> The buffer is always full these pops and gaps don't seem to correspond to
> any loss of the buffer.
>

okay, so it's not buffer-related... the next thing to look at is
corruption of the stream. If it works wired and doesn't work wirelessly,
wireless is the problem. Try changing channels?

> Could the problem be something to do with the fact the network is 11g and
> the squeezebox is 11b
> perhaps there are incompatabilities with the network? Could it be the fact
> that the 11g is
> set for network burst or something.

I seem to recall that G equipment falls back to B in the presence of B....
>
> However if this was the case wouldn't the buffer slowly empty, the sound
> just cut and then return
> when full. This is not happening there are just pops and squeaks and small
> gaps in sound.
>

You might try downgrading the firmware and then reapplying the update:
http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/2004-July/032197.html


--
Jack At Monkeynoodle.Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
"Believe what you're told; there'd be chaos if everyone thought for
themselves." -- Top Dog hotdog stand, Berkeley, CA

Donald B. Lagosz-Sinclair
2004-08-12, 10:06
----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew" <matthewbain (AT) myway (DOT) com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 12:07 PM
Subject: [slim] Continuing problems with Squeezebox


....

>
> Could the problem be something to do with the fact the network is 11g and the squeezebox is 11b
> perhaps there are incompatabilities with the network? Could it be the fact that the 11g is
> set for network burst or something.

....

I seem to recall someone who said they were having wireless problems until
they disabled the speed-enhancing software on their wireless router. I
tried to find it in the archives, but was unable to come up with the magic
keyword combination to isolate the message. Seems like it would be worth
a shot to try disabling it.

-:- dbls

Robin Bowes
2004-08-12, 10:25
On Thu, August 12, 2004 18:20, Phillip Kerman said:
> I've been looking into some new stereo equipment but have found you can't
> just get an integrated amplifier that has digital in very easily

You're better off with a separate DAC anyway.

> The ones that have
> this are mainly for surround systems (which I'm not setting up). I don't mind getting a
> surround receiver except I'm not really sure if it's worth the difference.

It is my understanding that AV receivers tend not to perform as well as "hifi" stereo amplifiers (meaning I've read this but not got any direct experience myself.

> That is, I can get a moderate quality surround receiver for about the cost
> of a good amplifier. But the amplifier will only take RCA in.
>
> I'm going to bring my SB into the stereo shop today and test it out quite a
> bit... but I wonder, theoretically, which set up makes more sense: digital out (to a DAC
> of unknown quality) or RCA into a good amp?

Have you considered buying a separate DAC? That would be the way to get best audio quality.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

Pat Farrell
2004-08-12, 11:04
At 01:50 PM 8/12/2004, Phillip Kerman wrote:
> > Have you considered buying a separate DAC? That would be the
> > way to get best audio quality.
>Is this really the best? What brands are worth considering?

How much do you want to spend?
Most mass market DACs cost $20 or so. This includes
the ones inside AV receivers that sell for several hundred dollars.
I don't know the specifics on the one inside the SqueezeBox,
but Slim has said that the display is a huge part of the price,
and you can buy a wireless Graphics Sqbx for $200,
so do the math.

There are lots of units at all sorts of price points from $100 to $10,000

Apogee, Benchmark, CraneSong, Lavry Engineering, Lucid, and others.
I stay out of the high end wacko audiophile world, they think nothing
of spending $10K on a DAC, or one K on wires. I'd rather have
500 more CDs.

I have a Benchmark DAC-1, which costs about a grand, and it sounds
fabulous. Others here have others that they like as well.

Pat

Jonathan Griffin
2004-08-13, 02:46
Just to check, do you use the Benchmark with your Squeezebox? I'm
thinking of buying one, and it would be comforting to know the combination
works well. (BTW, do you use optical or co-ax to connect the two?)

Cheers,
Jonathan.


On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:04:42 -0400, Pat Farrell <pfarrell (AT) pfarrell (DOT) com>
wrote:

> At 01:50 PM 8/12/2004, Phillip Kerman wrote:
>> > Have you considered buying a separate DAC? That would be the
>> > way to get best audio quality.
>> Is this really the best? What brands are worth considering?
>
> How much do you want to spend?
> Most mass market DACs cost $20 or so. This includes
> the ones inside AV receivers that sell for several hundred dollars.
> I don't know the specifics on the one inside the SqueezeBox,
> but Slim has said that the display is a huge part of the price,
> and you can buy a wireless Graphics Sqbx for $200,
> so do the math.
>
> There are lots of units at all sorts of price points from $100 to $10,000
>
> Apogee, Benchmark, CraneSong, Lavry Engineering, Lucid, and others.
> I stay out of the high end wacko audiophile world, they think nothing
> of spending $10K on a DAC, or one K on wires. I'd rather have
> 500 more CDs.
>
> I have a Benchmark DAC-1, which costs about a grand, and it sounds
> fabulous. Others here have others that they like as well.
>
> Pat

Pat Farrell
2004-08-13, 10:14
At 05:46 AM 8/13/2004, Jonathan Griffin wrote:
>Just to check, do you use the Benchmark with your Squeezebox? I'm
>thinking of buying one, and it would be comforting to know the combination
>works well. (BTW, do you use optical or co-ax to connect the two?)

Yes, I bought the DAC-1 with the thought that I could use it
both with the Sqbx and in my recording studio. But so far,
the DAC-1 has lived 100% in the main stereo connected to the
Sqbx.

I connected both optical and coax. The DAC-1 accepts those two
and AES on XLR. It has a switch that lets you select between the
three.

In theory, coax will work better at high sample rates. Toslink
is really aimed at the 44.1 and AC3 world. Of course, optical
is better at isolating ground loops, but a proper setup
shouldn't have them anyway.

Some of the earlier firmware versions were rumoured to
be better over optical. Dunno if it has been fixed or even
was ever true.

Since the only higher/wider songs that I have are from my
own studio, 99% of my music is just commercial Red Book CD,
so I usually leave it switched to optical

Pat