PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze Server Interface very slow!

justpete
2010-03-13, 15:55
So, I have a squeezebox classic. The squeezeserver is running on a Netbook. I have iPeng, and the responsiveness is instantaneous. However, when I control the server from a pc or laptop, the responsiveness is almost unbearable. So much so, that I only want to use Ipeng to control my server... but I'd like to control it from multiple sources. It's easily 5-10 seconds before the command executes.

I've checked the resources when I'm using my laptop to control squeezeserver, and they're all find and have lots of room for other activity. CPU usage on my local box is normal, and this issue exists across multiple pcs and laptops. I've tried disabling all unused plugins, including custom browse, and it has had no effect. There aren't any networking related issues either. The problem exists using IE and Chrome. So it's not a browser issue either.

I'm not quite sure what the issue is here. Is there a problem with the latest java update? Anyone else had this issue?

ps. I'm running 7.4.2.

Also, I used to always use the default skin. But with the new release, I've started to poke around elsewhere. I like the on-the-fly playlist modification that the default skin doesn't offer.

hungarianhc
2010-03-13, 20:01
Yeah some of the newer releases are a BIT snappier, but I agree - the Web UI is SOOOO slow, even on pretty decent hardware. like you, i prefer to use iPeng as the Web UI is so slow. I'd love for Logitech to re-write this at some point.

paltomare
2010-03-13, 20:15
I think it's the nature of the beast. The Web GUI has always been too slow for me. I've tried it on an XP and a Vista machine with IE, Firefox and Chrome. Chrome is the quickest for me. I now run SBS on a Vortexbox. I have tried Moose as a front end, it is faster for sure but I could not tweak it to my liking. I am now using Muso and like it very much so far, it is still beta however.

Phil Leigh
2010-03-14, 01:30
If you want to speed up the Web UI responsiveness and you are running SBS under Windows:
1) put your database cache directory/folder on a 250-500Mb RamDisk
2) Use Chrome
3) try 7.5embedded (or wait until it is released)

justpete
2010-03-14, 11:28
If you want to speed up the Web UI responsiveness and you are running SBS under Windows:
2) Use Chrome
3) try 7.5embedded (or wait until it is released)

I will try the cache thing. Thanks for the suggestion. I am already using Chrome, however, as mentioned.

It still doesn't make sense that the responsiveness from iPeng is near instantaneous, while the web interface is slow as molasses. In light of these posts, there must exist a coding or java issue. Has anyone tried various versions of java?

snarlydwarf
2010-03-14, 11:31
I will try the cache thing. Thanks for the suggestion. I am already using Chrome, however, as mentioned.

It still doesn't make sense that the responsiveness from iPeng is near instantaneous, while the web interface is slow as molasses. In light of these posts, there must exist a coding or java issue. Has anyone tried various versions of java?

The webui doesn't use java. Just html, css and javascript (which, depite the name, isn't related to java at all).

justpete
2010-03-14, 14:17
hmm. I'm also running Windows 7 on the server. Does Linux run a great deal better for a server on a netbook?

justpete
2010-03-14, 18:19

Err, how do I do this?

In the prefs file?

aubuti
2010-03-14, 18:47
No, by using the command line option --cachedir= when starting SBS. If you're on Linux then the sensible thing to do is put that in the startup script. I'm not sure how you'd do it on Windows or OSX. Of course, that's after you configure the OS to create the RAM drive.

hungarianhc
2010-03-14, 19:18
Using a ramdisk also assumes you're using a fairly beefy system. I'm using a sheevaplug, and I need all 512MB RAM I have! If I build a RAM disk, that would slow down other parts of my system as it would have to swap way more often.

justpete
2010-03-14, 19:20
Using a ramdisk also assumes you're using a fairly beefy system. I'm using a sheevaplug, and I need all 512MB RAM I have! If I build a RAM disk, that would slow down other parts of my system as it would have to swap way more often.

Ramdisk or you can use flash memory via an SD card or a USB stick.

hungarianhc
2010-03-14, 23:35
Ramdisk or you can use flash memory via an SD card or a USB stick.
My whole file system is on an SD card... I have an 8GB class 6 card as my primary partition. I also have 2GB of the external drive as swap and 512MB RAM. UI is still slow. I run other web apps from that machine and their UIs are VERY snappy. I think they need to gut it and re-write it with more modern code.

justpete
2010-03-14, 23:37
My whole file system is on an SD card... I have an 8GB class 6 card as my primary partition. I also have 2GB of the external drive as swap and 512MB RAM. UI is still slow. I run other web apps from that machine and their UIs are VERY snappy. I think they need to gut it and re-write it with more modern code.

That's depressing. Have past iterations been as slow as this one? I never used anything except the default skin before.. so I didn't notice back then.

What about running the server on linux? Does that resolve the issue(s)?

hungarianhc
2010-03-14, 23:39
That's depressing. Have past iterations been as slow as this one? I never used anything except the default skin before.. so I didn't notice back then.

Well I haven't been a squeezebox user for that long so I can't say... However, 7.4.2, 7.5, and 7.5e all seem to be about the same in sluggishness. I keep Library Statistics turned off to speed it up, but it's still not a very snappy UI. As for running it on linux, I am! It runs on a debian linux server.

justpete
2010-03-14, 23:42
Well I haven't been a squeezebox user for that long so I can't say... However, 7.4.2, 7.5, and 7.5e all seem to be about the same in sluggishness. I keep Library Statistics turned off to speed it up, but it's still not a very snappy UI. As for running it on linux, I am! It runs on a debian linux server.

hmm... odd.

I don't understand how iPeng can be so quick, and yet the Web gui so slow, when it's talking to the same server. Scratching my head on this one still. That's gotta be impossibly bad code.

It can't be that difficult to re-write it.

hungarianhc
2010-03-14, 23:45
hmm... odd.

I don't understand how iPeng can be so quick, and yet the Web gui so slow, when it's talking to the same server. Scratching my head on this one still. That's gotta be impossibly bad code.

It can't be that difficult to re-write it.
My thoughts exactly... I figure it's just a web services API w/ a UI glued on top of it. They should re-write the UI with something nice and new like sproutcore.... I really hope they take a look at this. My iPeng is INSTANT!

aubuti
2010-03-15, 08:06
I don't understand how iPeng can be so quick, and yet the Web gui so slow, when it's talking to the same server.
The same way that a Swiss army knife is so much slower than a nice table-mounted lever corkscrew to open the same bottle of wine. One is a single-purpose piece of software that runs on one platform, makes use of the CLI, and is highly optimized for this single task, etc. The other only uses a very general protocol (http) and runs on any OS and any browser.

Scratching my head on this one still. That's gotta be impossibly bad code. It can't be that difficult to re-write it.
Well, the code is there for all to see, so as they say, patches are welcome. ;o) From the effort that I know has already gone into the web ui, I would venture that trying to squeeze more speed out of a generic web browser interface is probably not a very productive direction, and that specialized apps (like iPeng, SqueezePlay, Moose, SB-app-of-the-future, etc) are more likely to get the responsiveness you're looking for.

iPhone
2010-03-15, 08:19

I think running a Linux OS helps. Does it resolve everything, I don't think it does, but I currently believe it helps to the point of being an actual noticeable difference.

I am also a big fan of a dedicated server when one wants to mainly use the WebUI. And of course having enough machine to wit with CPU power, RAM, and fast drives to allow the WebUI use to occur as quickly as possible.

Basically it is a trade off. If one wants to use a SheevaPlug for a server then one is trading fast WebUI (relatively speaking) for a small server footprint and power savings.

andyg
2010-03-15, 08:31
SBS basically has 3 different interfaces to the music library: player UI (text display for SB1/2/Boom), web UI, and the CLI/JSON API which is used by iPeng, SqueezePlay (Controller, Radio, Touch), and other clients.

In 7.5-embedded a large amount of work has gone into optimizing the CLI API for maximum performance. This is why iPeng and SqueezePlay are very fast. Unfortunately the player UI and web UI do not benefit from any of these optimizations. If we were designing this today, all interfaces would share the same backend API but due to the way SBS has developed over the years there are various reasons this is not the way it works.

Hopefully we'll have some time to optimize the web and player UIs in the same way in a future version.

justpete
2010-03-15, 11:03
Fair enough. I'll try a few of the aforementioned things. Or maybe just get used to Squeezeplay!

justpete
2010-03-15, 14:13
Update:

Now using Squeezeplay and enjoying it so far.

Thanks!

JeffHart
2010-03-15, 19:10
Not sure if this will matter in anything but Windows XP, but I changed the Processor Scheduling option to adjust for best performance of background process (default is programs) and it seemed to speed up a number of activities, including the Web UI and Controller UI. Also seems to be slight improvement in Boom UI.

The most noticable difference is running large playlists - over 150 used bring the UX to a crawl, now I can get closer to 500-600 before the lag becomes extremely annoying.

Not sure of the Windows internals to understand why this made a noticable difference when my XP system wasn't doing anything besides running SBS.

It's under System Properties > Advanced > Performance Options > Advanced (nomenclature by the Department of Redundancy Department)

padzster
2010-04-07, 06:06
I'm also suffering from incredibly slow web interface. My server's on a QNAP 219 so I would expect it to be fine. In fact it used to be before I upgraded to 7.4.2.
The interface doesn't always show both of my devices either: sometimes it shows just the Boom, sometimes just the Radio. Very rarely do I see both devices on it.