PDA

View Full Version : Planned Touch Setup, feedback welcome.

jstraw
2010-03-13, 13:27
I currently have a Duet in my living room and in my bedroom I use a Duet Controller on the nightstand as a player, running the headphone output down a wall, across the unfinished basement ceiling and up another wall, into a pair of analog inputs in the bedroom's AV receiver.

I'm planning on replacing this Controller with a Touch because of it's display and the array of connections it provides. I don't care much about the touch screen because I'm quite happy with iPeng running on an iPod for controlling my players.

My plan is to connect the Touch via it's SPDIF coax output to the AV receiver. Additionally, I plan to connect it to an AV input channel on the receiver that consists of the coax input and composite video input.

I normally view my Dish Network DVR on an input channel that uses HDMI and most of the time I still will. But I will additionally connect the Dish DVR's composite video to the same AV input the Touch is connected to for audio.

This way, when the Touch is feeding audio to the AV receiver, I can just turn on my flat screen monitor and select a Dish channel when, for instance, there's a sporting event I want to keep an eye on. If I need to hear the sound from the game, I will only need to switch from that "AV1" channel on the receiver to the channel I normally use for television. The video will switch back from Composite to HDMI and the audio will switch from the Touch to the Dish DVR.

toby10
2010-03-13, 13:46
Most AVR's allow you to use a separate video and audio input simultaneously, no need to over complicate this with additional unnecessarily cables..

Select your video source, then select an audio only source, enjoy both at the same time. :)

jstraw
2010-03-13, 13:56
Most AVR's allow you to use a separate video and audio input simultaneously, no need to over complicate this with additional unnecessarily cables..

Select your video source, then select an audio only source, enjoy both at the same time. :)

Did just that with my old Yamaha. Bought the new Yamaha because I needed more HDMI inputs. I can't make this one do that. I currently have that Controller/player connected to Audio 1 and when I select that, the monitor goes blank, hence the need for another connection between the DVR and the AVR. If I could get Audio 1 and HDMI2 working at the same time, I could save that as one of the AVR's four "scenes." I might be missing something but I've scoured the manual.

eq72521
2010-03-13, 14:16
Did just that with my old Yamaha. Bought the new Yamaha because I needed more HDMI inputs. I can't make this one do that. I currently have that Controller/player connected to Audio 1 and when I select that, the monitor goes blank, hence the need for another connection between the DVR and the AVR. If I could get Audio 1 and HDMI2 working at the same time, I could save that as one of the AVR's four "scenes." I might be missing something but I've scoured the manual.

Which Yamaha? I don't personally need this feature (yet), but in my reading I found that a number of recent Yamaha models lack the ability to rearrange which audio/video inputs work together, which I think is what you need. However, apparently many have recent firmware updates that remedies this. I specifically have the V565 and read about this, and I imagine it applies to some other models as well.

jstraw
2010-03-13, 14:48
Which Yamaha? I don't personally need this feature (yet), but in my reading I found that a number of recent Yamaha models lack the ability to rearrange which audio/video inputs work together, which I think is what you need. However, apparently many have recent firmware updates that remedies this. I specifically have the V565 and read about this, and I imagine it applies to some other models as well.

This is an HTR-6260 replacing a V363. When I add an Oppo Blu-Ray to the main system in the living room, I'll need more HDMI inputs there too and I'll probably replace the V663 out there with a V665 or HTR 6260.

I don't have this issue to deal with because the Duet receiver is running through a tube DAC into a tube amp to the front speakers. I can have whatever I need on the screen out there in this configuration because the audio is coming from a different amp.

Even if I'd known I'd need a composite cable to accomplish what I want with the 6250 in the bedroom, it wouldn't have been a deal-breaker. I have the cable and it's not a big deal.

If there's a way to do select separate audio and video inputs for the same scene with the 6250, I'd be pleased and go that route.

jstraw
2010-03-13, 23:20
I plan to install the firmware update. I will report the result.

toby10
2010-03-14, 04:30

Wow, that sucks. Why would they not have such a basic feature as this?
I can only guess they want such features included on their higher priced models. :(

I don't think the Input Assignments are the solution in this matter (unless you want to go into the AVR's GUI menu's and change it every time).
Also your Sat box may limit it's outputs (may not have *active* outputs where all audio & video are always available on all outputs, dunno).

Another option is to use the AVR's Audio Select option. Place both Sat box HDMI and your SB digital coax all onto the same AV1 input.
Now you simply use the AVR's Audio Select to quickly scroll through the four selections: Auto, HDMI, Digital coax/optical, Analog
If you go this route I'd suggest you leave it on Auto so you would only need to actually select your audio input in the cases where you want both audio & video from different sources simultaneously.
IOW: If you just want either Sat box or SB player, no additional audio selection is needed.

The draw back to this simpler setup (thanks to the genius Yamaha engineers who left off the basic feature of allowing different audio & video sources simultaneously) is that you now have lost any additional Zone playback with your SB player if the Sat service is in use in your Main Zone. :(
Assuming you even use Zones.

jstraw
2010-03-14, 11:34
Wow, that sucks. Why would they not have such a basic feature as this?
I can only guess they want such features included on their higher priced models. :(

I don't think the Input Assignments are the solution in this matter (unless you want to go into the AVR's GUI menu's and change it every time).
Also your Sat box may limit it's outputs (may not have *active* outputs where all audio & video are always available on all outputs, dunno).

Another option is to use the AVR's Audio Select option. Place both Sat box HDMI and your SB digital coax all onto the same AV1 input.
Now you simply use the AVR's Audio Select to quickly scroll through the four selections: Auto, HDMI, Digital coax/optical, Analog
If you go this route I'd suggest you leave it on Auto so you would only need to actually select your audio input in the cases where you want both audio & video from different sources simultaneously.
IOW: If you just want either Sat box or SB player, no additional audio selection is needed.

The draw back to this simpler setup (thanks to the genius Yamaha engineers who left off the basic feature of allowing different audio & video sources simultaneously) is that you now have lost any additional Zone playback with your SB player if the Sat service is in use in your Main Zone. :(
Assuming you even use Zones.

So I read through the PDF for the firmware upgrade and the first step was to check the current firmware version. My unit already has the updated firmware. There is also a loose manual page with the updated information relevant to these features that was in the packet with the manual, which I failed to motice.

The minorly poor news is that the feature is slightly limited. The HDMI1 input can only be joined with AUDIO1 and HDMI2 with AUDIO2. Ideally, I would have liked to use HDMI2, which is the video feed from my Dish DVR with both AUDIO1 and AUDIO2 (AUDIO2 is an Audioengine AW-1). But I need to watch something on the monitor far less frequently with the AW-1 then when using the Squeezebox. So I'll just swap the devices being input to AUDIO1 and AUDIO2, set HDMI2 to work on AUDIO2 and save that scene to the "Radio" button on the remote (which the Squeezebox is already on now, sans video).