PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox phased out

th00ht
2010-03-13, 13:11
So honestly, when will the Squeezebox Classic be phased out and not supported anymore?

pfarrell
2010-03-13, 13:14
th00ht wrote:
> So honestly, when will the Squeezebox Classic be phased out and not
> supported anymore?

Er, the Squeezebox 1 and Slmp3 are still supported.

What are you really asking?

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

th00ht
2010-03-13, 13:22
th00ht wrote:
> So honestly, when will the Squeezebox Classic be phased out and not
> supported anymore?

Er, the Squeezebox 1 and Slmp3 are still supported.

What are you really asking?

--
Pat Farrell

with all due respect, where is the slimp3 board?

pfarrell
2010-03-13, 13:27
th00ht wrote:
> with all due respect, where is the slimp3 board?

General Discussions.

Again, what do you mean by "support"?

> The real reason is that Logitech has dropped the
> Squeezebox, negating the point of having a seperate bord for it.

This makes zero sense. The Classic/SB3's display is EOL by the
manufacturer. They can't get them in quantity anymore, and they can't be
sure that they will be able to get them at all in a few months.

The plan was to replace it with the Touch last Fall. They blew that date
a bit.

There is no grand conspiracy. Look at the French/German and other
sections of the forum. They exist even though they get very little traffic.

Forum sections are cheap.

--
Pat Farrell

th00ht
2010-03-13, 13:39
Forum sections are cheap.

I rest my case

(always wanted to use that phrase)

SilverRS8
2010-03-13, 13:48
I rest my case

I did not take the effort to look but I hope your other 249 posts did make more sense.

th00ht
2010-03-13, 14:58
I did not take the effort to look but I hope your other 249 posts did make more sense.

Being modest, I'm afraid they probably didn't :-)

funkstar
2010-03-13, 16:56
I rest my case

but back in the day, there was only one player, so GD covered it. After that there wasn't really any easy way to separate the SB3 specific threads from all the others, it would have been too much admin time.

This has been covered sooo many times. It's not a conspiracy, it's just the way things are.

djfake
2010-03-14, 08:33
As I read through this (and many other threads), plus the long delay for the Squeezebox Touch, reviews of the Squeezebox Radio, Android, and this post http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=490916&postcount=76 , I can't help but feel that at some point in the future, my SB3 "Classic" will be left in the proverbial dust.

If I am not mistaken, slimserver/squeezecenter has always published under the GNU license, thus a fork to maintain the software "free" of logitech is possible. This however could affect any firmware updates to my SB3, since it is proprietary.

Should I fear for the future?

pfarrell
2010-03-14, 08:41
djfake wrote:
> Should I fear for the future?

no.

At some point, no more firmware updates will be made. They can't be done
by the community because the license for the firmware tools are insanely
expensive. But the SB1 have not had firmware updates in years. They
still work, are still supported. Even the slimp3 still works.

--
Pat Farrell

funkstar
2010-03-14, 09:22
I can't help but feel that at some point in the future, my SB3 "Classic" will be left in the proverbial dust.
It's entirely possible, just like any other product by any other manufacturer. Try getting Vista or W7 drivers for a 5 year old web cam. Not gonna happen. Same with a lot of printers and scanners. Eventually, things will become unsupported.

Having said this, every player in this range ever made by Slimdevices/Logitech is still fully functional. And will continue to gain functions as the server continues to be improved. For example, the SliMP3 doesn't know what an alarm is, but still benefits from the alarm functionality of v7 (and the new code in 7.4.2). If that was made by any other manufacturer it would have become unsupported a long time ago.

Mnyb
2010-03-14, 09:45
slimp3 was released "August 2001" that is along time ago, still supported.
It was replaced by squeezebox 1 "November 2003" so now almost seven years afters retirement it's still supported, no new firmware for ages but it still there.

So given that nobody can predict the future, hopefully logitech will retain this core value of the server, to support all squeezeboxes.

And don't forget if logitech do dump some old product in the future, you can still use the older version of the software, you can download almost all versions of the server, so you can always use what you got today.

gharris999
2010-03-14, 09:55
As I read through this (and many other threads), plus the long delay for the Squeezebox Touch, reviews of the Squeezebox Radio, Android, and this post http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=490916&postcount=76 , I can't help but feel that at some point in the future, my SB3 "Classic" will be left in the proverbial dust.

If I am not mistaken, slimserver/squeezecenter has always published under the GNU license, thus a fork to maintain the software "free" of logitech is possible. This however could affect any firmware updates to my SB3, since it is proprietary.

Should I fear for the future?
With very trivial tinkering in the SBS code, you can "freeze" your Classic at it's current firmware level. I've done so with my Transporter and I've stuck with SC7.3.4 for my server software. Unless you're a MySB.com user, you aren't "forced" to upgrade. Prompted to, yes, but forced, no.

Of course Logitech has the complete right to tweak MySB.com any way it pleases, and tweak firmware to match. It's their baby. It may be maddening to those of us who have written plugins that interacted well with SN.com and now find we're having trouble getting the same functionality out of MySB.com. But this doesn't in any way represent a betrayal of trust on the part of Logitech. They never made any such promise.

MySB.com exists to drive hardware sales. Perhaps some day it could generate it's own revenue stream...but it doesn't now. And given this, is it any surprise that current development in SBS and on MySB.com are predominantly focused on the new hardware features of the Radio and the Touch?

My Transporter, with my library and server setup, works pretty darn flawlessly. I'm much more worried (but not that much) about the Transporter's eventual hardware death (I tend to keep gear for a long time...I've got a food processor in my kitchen from the mid '70s) than I am about its firmware somehow becoming obsolete.

bobkoure
2010-03-14, 10:06
The worst I can think of is that there'll be a new standard for music files (say 96/24). Your SB3 will be unable to play these natively and you'll be faced with either transcoding them before you store them or having the server do transcoding on the fly.

Phil Leigh
2010-03-14, 10:23
The worst I can think of is that there'll be a new standard for music files (say 96/24). Your SB3 will be unable to play these natively and you'll be faced with either transcoding them before you store them or having the server do transcoding on the fly.

Neither of which is any kind of problem...

iPhone
2010-03-14, 13:52

And just where is the problem for this is ALREADY the case. I believe anything above SC 7.3.3, uses S.o.X. to play 24/96 on the SB3 and the Transporter and the Touch both play 25/96 native.

So again what is the issue or question because hardware wise the SB3 will never play 24/96 native as it is incapable. No amount of support is ever going to fix something the hardware is not capable of performing. Which is again why hardware wise there are the Transporter and Touch for what your calling the New Standard of 24/96 with S.o.X. lending transcoding support so one doesn't have to have two copies of the same material for 24/96 playback on an SB3.

bobkoure
2010-03-15, 06:42
I guess I wasn't clear enough - assuming readers would all know that this isn't a big deal.

iPhone
2010-03-15, 09:07
I guess I wasn't clear enough - assuming readers would all know that this isn't a big deal.

Bob, I think you were clear enough after rereading it. But in hindsight depending on how one reads your post IE what one is thinking at the time from reading the posts before it, I for one made the mistake of reading into it that 24/96 issue was "the worst thing" as being a major problem and not a minor inconvenience as in rereading seems to be the point your were making.

One thing about a written Forum, one can easily misread, read to much into it, and sometimes just completely misunderstand or miss what is being said or the point.

Of course, this all assumes that I an interpreting this post correctly. ;=}

ajkidle
2010-03-16, 17:30
slimp3 was released "August 2001" that is along time ago, still supported.
It was replaced by squeezebox 1 "November 2003" so now almost seven years afters retirement it's still supported, no new firmware for ages but it still there.

Even if Logitech decides to make some change to the code such that the older players are no longer supported, (unlikely imho) is that really the end of the world? These are $300-ish devices with a 5+ year life! Talk about bang for the buck. Wish my other technology purchases had that kind of staying power.

djfake
2010-03-17, 19:17
thanks for all your replies. and may my SB3 last at least another five years.

the second part of my question regards the slimserver software. who maintains the repo? logitech? should it be forked away from them? does it even matter?

snarlydwarf
2010-03-17, 21:35
the second part of my question regards the slimserver software. who maintains the repo? logitech? should it be forked away from them? does it even matter?

It doesn't matter and would only be a waste of time.

Grab tarballs of the nightlies if you're that worried.