Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobkoure
    • Dec 2007

anyone using 7.5 embedded?

As someone running on somewhat limited server hardware (Via C7) I'm interested in the 7.5 embedded version.
    If you're using it, would you mind mentioning
    - the hardware you're using
    - general size of your music collection
    - any noticeable speedup in the WebUI?
    - whether it works with MusicIP (if you use that)
    - any problems with squeezeslave

Yes, I know it's unstable, just wondering how unstable.

Thanks!
  • Michael Herger
    Babelfish's Best Boy
    • Apr 2005

> If you're using it, would you mind mentioning
    > - the hardware you're using

Via C3/1GHz, 1GB RAM, running SME Linux (CentOS 4.x based)

> - general size of your music collection

16k tracks

> - any noticeable speedup in the WebUI?

when artwork is involved then there's a huge improvement

> - whether it works with MusicIP (if you use that)

Yes (Linux version)

> - any problems with squeezeslave

Don't know.

> Yes, I know it's unstable, just wondering how unstable.

It hasn't crashed here in weeks. There seem to be more problems with other platforms than Linux, as it's mostly been tested on a Linux platform (SB Touch).
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• aubuti
      • Oct 2005

I've been using it for 1-2 months on a headless MSI Wind desktop. The MSI has an Atom 1.6GHz single core CPU and 2GB RAM, but I'm running 7.4.2 on the "real" machine and 7.5-embedded on a virtual machine (via VirtualBox) that is allocated something like 400MB RAM. The OS is Ubunbtu server 8.10. I'm using the SQLite db. My collection is about 5500 tracks. Scanning is much faster than 7.4.x. Web ui seems a little snappier than 7.4, but I haven't done systematic testing. Stability has been excellent. Works fine with MusicIP. Don't know about squeezeslave, but it's working fine with SqueezePlay.
      Last edited by aubuti; 2010-03-11, 19:06. Reason: corrected Ubuntu version
      Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
      Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
      Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
      Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
      Study: SB Radio
      Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
      LMS 8.3 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng, SB Controllers and Squeezepad

Comment

• Siduhe
        • Jun 2005

I've been using it on a testing set up for about 2 months.

Vista Home Premium - Lenovo Laptop - 4GM RAM;

Testing using a subset of my main library - about 2000 songs;

WebUI is plenty responsive, but then so is my main setup (a Linux server) so I haven't really noticed any "improvement" as such;

Works fine with Windows MusicIP 1.9b6.
        Who am I on LAST.FM?
        "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• pippin
          • Oct 2007

Doesn't work at all for me.
          Ubuntu server 8.04 LTS, ViaC7 1GHz, 1GB RAM
          ---
          learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
          Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
          at penguinlovesmusic.com
          New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• snarlydwarf
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by pippin
            Doesn't work at all for me.
            Ubuntu server 8.04 LTS, ViaC7 1GHz, 1GB RAM
            Hrrm. It works for me on Debian both SQLite and MySQL...

I may or may not have rm'd my prefs file to appease it (been a while and I'm senile)...

What's the symptoms?

Comment

• signor_rossi
              • Jun 2007

Works very well and stable for me on an old Athlon64 with Ubuntu Karmic locked at 1GHZ, I use SQLite and started with a clean config, 15000 tracks. WebUI loading and Stop/Play/Skip actions are noticeably snappier than before, most important plugins work too (DynamicPlaylist/CustomScan/etc.). I am quite happy with it and hope to see it in the debian repo some time. :-)

Comment

• bobkoure
                • Dec 2007

Thanks for the responses!
                I guess I should have mentioned that I'd planned to put it on a windows server.

Comment

• bonze
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by bobkoure
                  WHS - Dual Core Atom 330, 2GB RAM
                  7.6k tracks
                  slight improvement
                  Yes, I know it's unstable, just wondering how unstable.
                  haven't had a crash this year
                  LMS Version: 8.2
                  Synology 216+II & Docker
                  2x Touch, 2x SB3

Comment

• pippin
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by snarlydwarf
                    Hrrm. It works for me on Debian both SQLite and MySQL...

I may or may not have rm'd my prefs file to appease it (been a while and I'm senile)...

What's the symptoms?
                    I've got a web server with a pretty similar software configuration and there it works fine.
                    Symptoms is that it runs at low priority (~2-3% CPU usage), everything times out, including web interface, scan takes around 4 days as compared to <0.5h with trunk.
                    I tried removing all things squeeze and doing clean installs without avail. Installing a 7.5 trunk right over it works fine.

I believe it's either a scheduling issue or some communication deadlock causing stuff to time out. Lots of errors around this being logged.
                    ---
                    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
                    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
                    at penguinlovesmusic.com
                    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• aubuti
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mherger
                      > - any noticeable speedup in the WebUI?

when artwork is involved then there's a huge improvement
                      Is your artwork embedded or cover.jpg/folder.jpg? Mine is cover.jpg and the improvement only seems marginal to me. Certainly not huge. Yet.
                      Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
                      Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
                      LMS 8.3 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng, SB Controllers and Squeezepad

Comment

• dsdreamer
                        • Jul 2007

Works for me

Buffalo Linkstation LS-XHL (1TB disk, ARM 9 CPU @ 1.2Gz)
                        7.5k tracks
                        Yes, it's faster for me on this hardware than 7.3.3 used to be on an AMD Athon XP PC.
                        - whether it works with MusicIP (if you use that)
                        Didn't try.
                        - any problems with squeezeslave
                        Didn't try.
                        ----------------------
                        "Dreamer, easy in the chair that really fits you..."

Comment

• Michael Herger
                          Babelfish's Best Boy
                          • Apr 2005

> Is your artwork embedded or cover.jpg/folder.jpg? Mine is cover.jpg and
                          > the improvement only seems marginal to me. Certainly not huge. Yet.

A bit of everything. The biggest improvement eg. is when loading the albums page. While it would have taken several seconds only to show the artwork, it's now almost instantly loading them.

--

Michael
                          Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                          (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• andyg
                            Former Squeezebox Guy
                            • Jan 2006

Yep, embedded has a new artwork cache that is about 10x faster than the old one.

Comment

• aubuti
                              • Oct 2005

Wow, I'm not seeing that at all. I just compared loading album pages (large artwork sorted Artist/year/album) between 7.4.2 and 7.5.0-embedded and the load times are almost identical. Say around 9-10 seconds for 50-70 albums. I installed the latest nightly (r30366), did a clear and rescan, and then hit different parts of the alpha index on the albums page, and get the same results.

The 7.5e is running in a VM on the same box as 7.4.2, so it's not a perfectly fair comparison. Two differences that come to mind are

(1) the VM only has 400MB RAM vs. 1.6GB for the host, though the VM doesn't appear to be swapping at all

(2) the VM mounts the music library via CIFS, whereas the host (7.4.2) accesses the library directly. But if it's caching in the db that's improved, I wouldn't think that the CIFS delay would matter.

Are these platform differences likely explanations, or is there some other reason anyone can think of why I'm not seeing the speed increase. The album art is mostly cover.jpg, usually betwenn 300x300 and 500x500.

Comment

Working...