PDA

View Full Version : Announce: VortexBox 1.2 released

agillis
2010-03-10, 15:04
The VortexBox community has been working hard on this release. We have added a lot of new features to make VortexBox the best NAS for SqueezeBox. These include adding the new SqueezeBox Server 7.4.2 and fixing some critical bugs in VortexBox Player. VortexBox Player is now the highest resolutions (192/24) player available that is compatible with SqueezeBox Server (SBS).

The new package manager allows new software packages to be installed from the GUI. There are a few people on this forum that use Sonos as well as SqueezeBox. The Sonos web GUI can now be installed from the new Package Manager making VortexBox the best NAS for Sonos players.

We have fixed the mp3 encoding with better support for genre and cover art that works well in all applications including Windows 7. Thanks to everybody in the community for helping out.

We also have experimental support for MusicIP integration. Just run setup-musicip from the command line and everything will be installed for you.

* Logitech SqueezeBox Server 7.4.2 pre installed and configured
* Package manager for installing new software from the GUI
* Better support for mp3s (thanks Ron)
* Many bug fixes including VortexBox player
* Experimental support for MusicIP

To update use the GUI update menu.

bernt
2010-03-11, 01:15
Thanks for the hard work. Vortexbox is the best SBS\homeserver I have used and I have used a few.

Windows XP
Trustix (The best Linux Server dist ever. Rest in peace)
Clarc Connect
SME Server
Slimnas (Thanks Michael)
Ubuntu LTS Server

pski
2010-03-12, 11:59
I got a lot of return code 0 dialog boxes during upgrade.

The first attempt ended after package resolution, so I tried again.

After restart, choosing the Squeezebox server icon from the base web UI tries to load

http://:9000

I'll try again on another VM copy and type more later.

P

A second server upgraded with yum update and restarted began a full rescan when restarted. As above, choosing the Squeezebox server icon from the base web UI tries to load

http://:9000/

agillis
2010-03-12, 18:47
did you reboot?

Ron Olsen
2010-03-12, 21:18
I got a lot of return code 0 dialog boxes during upgrade.

The first attempt ended after package resolution, so I tried again.

After restart, choosing the Squeezebox server icon from the base web UI tries to load

http://:9000

I'll try again on another VM copy and type more later.

P

A second server upgraded with yum update and restarted began a full rescan when restarted. As above, choosing the Squeezebox server icon from the base web UI tries to load

http://:9000/
Please post the output of the following command:

ifconfig

pski
2010-03-13, 12:30
did you reboot?

Yes, after each upgrade.

P

pski
2010-03-13, 12:45
Please post the output of the following command:

ifconfig

Here it is:

agillis
2010-03-13, 16:47
Did you make some changes to your networking? eth0 is not there.

pski
2010-03-13, 18:06

Ok, there are three VM's. Each is running the latest (after 7.4.2) release.

All the VM's have identical network settings (VMware Workstation.)

The first VM has eth0 and the other two have eth1. No teams have ever been used on this machine.

I'm not sure this is a 7.4.2 issue since I didn't really use the base address webUI previously.

P

BTW: the 2nd and 3rd VM's are "full clones" of the first VM.

pski
2010-03-13, 18:13

The only thing different is the hostname.

P

Ron Olsen
2010-03-13, 19:11
VortexBox 1.2 is looking for the IP address on the eth0 interface. Changes will be needed to have it look at eth1 as well.

pski
2010-03-13, 19:33
VortexBox 1.2 is looking for the IP address on the eth0 interface. Changes will be needed to have it look at eth1 as well.

It's no big issue. So long as I'm using the webUI of SBS, everything's Archie.

I <also> have machines that are on eth1 because I included a nic that was faster than the motherboard nic.

Thanks, Ron.

Paul

mbonsack
2010-03-15, 21:18
<I posted this over at the Vortex forum and it was suggested I post here>

I'm getting these logs:

[vortexbox.localdomain ~]# tail /var/log/messages
Mar 15 15:44:14 vortexbox kernel: squeezeboxserve[20159]: segfault at 0 ip 00cde6f8 sp bf897850 error 4 in libperl.so[b49000+256000]
Mar 15 15:44:44 vortexbox kernel: squeezeboxserve[20163]: segfault at 0 ip 00cde6f8 sp bf897850 error 4 in libperl.so[b49000+256000]
Mar 15 15:45:14 vortexbox kernel: squeezeboxserve[20166]: segfault at 0 ip 00cde6f8 sp bf897850 error 4 in libperl.so[b49000+256000]
Mar 15 15:45:44 vortexbox kernel: squeezeboxserve[20170]: segfault at 0 ip 00cde6f8 sp bf897850 error 4 in libperl.so[b49000+256000]

in /var/log/messages (and on the console) every four hours or so. I can't see any negative effects on the vortexbox (or SBS) operation. This happened as well with version 1.1 before I upgraded to 1.2.

Thanks for any insight! -mark

epoch1970
2010-03-16, 00:37

I <also> have machines that are on eth1 because I included a nic that was faster than the motherboard nic.

Thanks, Ron.

Paul

You can meddle with /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules, there must be lines in there for eth0 and eth1. If you delete these lines they will be re-created (possibly w/ other names), or you can simply change the NAME= value in the existing lines.
Then you need to reboot.

I'd surmise the phenomenon comes from the "cloning" process; since the MAC addresses are not cloned, your VM copies got an extra line generated for their actual card, and numbering went up by 1.

Siduhe
2010-03-16, 02:56
The only thing different is the hostname.

P

Re return code 0 dialog boxes during upgrade (not the eth1 bit) - have you specified a static IP for your vortexbox instance? I have also seen this behaviour, but only when using a static IP (and regardless of whether the static IP is outside or inside the DCHP range).

My solution was to change back to IP being allocated by DCHP using the network manager, then redo the upgrade, then reallocate a static IP. I do this before every upgrade and it works ok.

As far as I can tell from reading around the subject, the return code 0 error message is an occasional problem with Fedora 10.

colincliff
2010-03-16, 15:58
is there a recommended process to install vortexbox from a usb drive? I'm hoping to try it on a Acer Revo which has no cd drive.

agillis
2010-03-16, 18:42
is there a recommended process to install vortexbox from a usb drive? I'm hoping to try it on a Acer Revo which has no cd drive.

No you need a CD. You can attach an old CD to a sata or IDE to USB converter if you need to.

peterw
2010-03-16, 19:38
No you need a CD. You can attach an old CD to a sata or IDE to USB converter if you need to.

Really? You can't use something like unetbootin to make a bootable thumbdrive?

Ron Olsen
2010-03-16, 19:39

Paul
A fix was made to VB 1.2 to look for eth1 if eth0 is not present. Update your VBs and see if it fixes the problem with a null IP address for the VB web GUI icon for SqueezeBox Server.

Ron Olsen
2010-03-16, 22:57

Really? You can't use something like unetbootin to make a bootable thumbdrive?
The Acer Revo supports booting from a USB drive, so you should be able to download the vortexbox-1.2.iso (http://vortexbox.org/vortexbox-1.2.iso), install it on a USB drive or stick using unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net), and then boot your Acer Revo from the USB drive or stick to install VortexBox.

You'll have to change the BIOS to disable RevoBoot before booting from the USB drive. See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=53888 and http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/999568-acer-aspire-revo-owners-thread-7.html for details.

Disclaimer: I don't have an Acer Revo and haven't tried this myself, but I think it should work.

colincliff
2010-03-18, 14:19
thanks, i'll give unetbootin a try and post back here if sucessful