PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Vortexbox over Ubuntu/Squeezebox server?

colincliff
2010-03-09, 11:16
I'm currently running my Squeezebox Server on an Acer Revo (intel atom based pc with no cd drive) loaded with Ubuntu. This box is only used for squeezeboxes, downloading torrents and for storing photos to be access by other computers.

I've read a bit on these forums about vortexbox and was wondering if there would be any benefit running this instead of the ubunut/squeezebox server setup i have at the moment.

The Acer Revo has no cd drive so the automatic ripping isnt a big priority. What other benefit are there, if any?

bernt
2010-03-09, 14:30
FLAC mirror, Auto download of album art, VB player, Easy setup and update and so on.

I moved from Ubuntu\SBS to Vortexbox because i like the appliance idea.

socistep
2010-03-09, 15:36
I'm currently running my Squeezebox Server on an Acer Revo (intel atom based pc with no cd drive) loaded with Ubuntu. This box is only used for squeezeboxes, downloading torrents and for storing photos to be access by other computers.

I've read a bit on these forums about vortexbox and was wondering if there would be any benefit running this instead of the ubunut/squeezebox server setup i have at the moment.

The Acer Revo has no cd drive so the automatic ripping isnt a big priority. What other benefit are there, if any?

Few reasons

- flac mirror
- vortexbox player - software player on box, I have this linked to wireless headphones and it works well
- decent user community
- MusicIP integration
- Auto cover art

The auto ripping/cover art/re-indexing is the main benefit but there are a lot of other benefits in the box.

vortexbox is basically fedora linux so a lot of similarities with your current set-up

trouty00
2010-03-15, 12:24
or get xbmc on your revo and hook up to tv hdmi and use the little revo to its full capabilitys!

http://xbmc.org/

tufana
2010-04-22, 01:29
Hello ,

Today I am using squeezebox server ona laptop with a cd and I have 2 receivers and Classic and one Duet .I do consider to buy a VortexBox .
If I use vortexbox , will squeezebox run on Vortexbox appliance (Linux) and I can take laprop our from network ? Or both laptop and Vortexbox will exist in the network ? Thx .

agillis
2010-04-22, 14:42
Hello ,

Today I am using squeezebox server ona laptop with a cd and I have 2 receivers and Classic and one Duet .I do consider to buy a VortexBox .
If I use vortexbox , will squeezebox run on Vortexbox appliance (Linux) and I can take laprop our from network ? Or both laptop and Vortexbox will exist in the network ? Thx .

You no longer need your laptop once you have an VortexBox appliance. The appliance will rip CDs and you can play them on youe SqueezeBox.

agillis
2010-04-22, 14:44

VortexBox does all this including the torrents. It does not have a GUI interface only a web interface so if you want an appliance VortexBox is the way to go. If you want a PC you can browse the web from, run XBMC, etc keep what you have.

dpaws
2012-08-20, 10:40
Oops, an old thread but exactly the question I'd like to ask. As it happens I don't need the Vortexbox ripping facility and if it's possible to run Ubuntu headless via the iPad that would be great.

However, I'm asking from the perspective of a superior sound quality (output via SOTM USB and all controlled by LMS via the Squeezepad app)

Much obliged

garym
2012-08-20, 10:54
Oops, an old thread but exactly the question I'd like to ask. As it happens I don't need the Vortexbox ripping facility and if it's possible to run Ubuntu headless via the iPad that would be great.

However, I'm asking from the perspective of a superior sound quality (output via SOTM USB and all controlled by LMS via the Squeezepad app)

Much obliged

there is no sound quality difference between using any server or OS, vortexbox, linux or otherwise. If your computer running LMS is working properly and your network is robust, all are delivering the bits to your SB players perfectly. I am a bit confused by the mention of output via SOTM USB. Sorry if I'm being basic about something you already know, but you do understand that LMS (running on whatever...) is sending the audio data to the SB players via TCP/IP over either WIFI or ethernet and not via USB or a soundcard, etc. That is the primary benefit of the entire SB ecosystem. Perhaps I'm missing the point of your question. Please clarify.

dpaws
2012-08-20, 11:28
Sorry if I'm being basic about something you already know, but you do understand that LMS (running on whatever...) is sending the audio data to the SB players via TCP/IP over either WIFI or ethernet and not via USB or a soundcard, etc. That is the primary benefit of the entire SB ecosystem. Perhaps I'm missing the point of your question. Please clarify.

Many thanks for the quick response! Yes, the LMS controls the remote squeezeboxes BUT (as I understand it) in Vortexbox at least, it also turns the Vortexbox into a player too. I assume it will only be a case of adding an app to Ubuntu to enable "local" playback as well. The digital signal will then pass via a custom USB audio soundcard (the SOTM PCIe) and out to my DAC via an asynchronous USB data connection. Well, that's the theory anyways...

garym
2012-08-20, 11:47
Many thanks for the quick response! Yes, the LMS controls the remote squeezeboxes BUT (as I understand it) in Vortexbox at least, it also turns the Vortexbox into a player too. I assume it will only be a case of adding an app to Ubuntu to enable "local" playback as well. The digital signal will then pass via a custom USB audio soundcard (the SOTM PCIe) and out to my DAC via an asynchronous USB data connection. Well, that's the theory anyways...

ahh, ok. Yes, one can enable the "software" player within the Vortexbox and it will act "as if" it is a SB hardware player, but be using the internal soundcard or external soundcard of the machine Vortexbox is running on. You control this soft SB player the same way as the hardware players. That is, I can see on my ipad (squeezepad app or ipengHD app) or my iphone (ipeng app) all my players (hardware players AND the VB software player). I can play it alone, sync it with other players, etc. (although I don't personally use the VB player).

If you don't want to use vortexbox, there are other software players you can use on other setups. For example, I use SqueezePlay on my windows setup at work as a software SB player. I believe SqueezePlay can be installed on a linux machine, although there may be some oddities. Search these forums to see discussion on Squeezeplay and linux.

Note that the SOTM PCIe vortexbox based machine is but one of the many "flavors" of vortexbox appliances. It is built in particular to be silent and used as a music server itself. My VBAs are the more inexpensive versions because I'm not interested in using the computer (VBA) itself as a player...only to serve the music to other SB players (which are located in entirely different rooms from where the VBA is sitting). So silent and high end soundcard is not needed for my use case.

dpaws
2012-08-20, 12:29
My VBAs are the more inexpensive versions because I'm not interested in using the computer (VBA) itself as a player...only to serve the music to other SB players (which are located in entirely different rooms from where the VBA is sitting). So silent and high end soundcard is not needed for my use case.

Yes, I see you also own the Transporter and Touch devices. My new "player" is to finally replace the transporter thus enabling 24/192 and DSD high definition playback as well as upgrading the digital output quality. I can't grumble, it's served me well since 2006 - not even the Mrs can say that... ;)

garym
2012-08-20, 12:44
it's served me well since 2006 - not even the Mrs can say that... ;)

;-)