PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions on ordering/using SBT

sawdin
2010-03-09, 08:50
Newbie here. I was going to wait until I move later this summer before purchasing a SB Touch, but I think I might just pre-order now. I do have a couple of questions though:

1) When are the units supposed to ship? Some have already shipped, why the delay? From this board, it seems as if the delay is related to the need to update software. Is that correct?

2) Until I move, I would just have the SBT connected to my computer. I assume I make that connection via Cat5 cable. Is that correct?

3) I have a Perreaux HP amp (1 pair of RCA inputs and 1 pair RCA outputs) and a pair of powered Swan Speakers (RCA inputs). Given that set-up, I assume that I'd use the RCA analog outs from the SBT and connect to the Perreaux ins and then use the outs on the Perreaux to connect to my Swans. Does that sound right?

4) I'm just getting into digital audio via pc and will probably purchase the new J River MC14 (good review on Computer Audiophile and it sounds 'easier' to learn than Foobar). Are there any compatibility issues in trying to have the SBT access playlists/libraries that have been set-up in MC14?

Have I missed something, anything else I should ask about?

TIA for any suggestions/thoughts.

Dino
--------------
Senn HD 650, Perreaux Sihoutte SXH1 amp
Dell XPS 8100 Realtek HD Audio SC w/ Tru Studio PC software (Creative/THX), Swann D1080 Mk II speakers
Denon AVR 3806, Denon DVD 1920, Revel Concerta F12 speakers
Monster HTS 3500 Mk II and various cables.

toby10
2010-03-09, 10:27
1. Ship date is unknown. Yes, SBS 7.5 server software development is the holdup for Touch release.

2. Yes, Cat5 cable from computer to Touch (though I highly recommend a router for connecting all networked devices)
Routers can do DHCP and IP handling, it's what they are designed to do. :)
Computer based DHCP and IP handling can get a bit tricky.

3. HP amp: analog connection to amp sounds correct, though I've never seen one myself.

4. J River: dunno, I presume if it makes a standard playlist in a standard playlist format then it should work, just point your SBS server to that folder of playlists

maggior
2010-03-09, 10:36
2) Until I move, I would just have the SBT connected to my computer. I assume I make that connection via Cat5 cable. Is that correct?

4) I'm just getting into digital audio via pc and will probably purchase the new J River MC14 (good review on Computer Audiophile and it sounds 'easier' to learn than Foobar). Are there any compatibility issues in trying to have the SBT access playlists/libraries that have been set-up in MC14?

Like Toby10, I would suggest a router rather than connecting directly between the PC and squeezebox. They are very cheap these days and will make it very easy to expand (either squeezeboxes or computers) later one.

Regarding J.River, I use it myself to create playlists. If you run J.River on the same machine that is running squeezeboxserver, you will have no trouble. Otherwise, conversion of pathnames will have to be done. For instance, I have a linux server running squeezeboxserver for me and I use J.River on my laptop to generate playlists. To take care of the fact that the pathnames to the music files on my Linux machine are different than on my laptop, I have a script that runs to automate the conversion.

Hopefully the Touch will be released sooner rather than later so you can get started.

Have fun!

sawdin
2010-03-09, 10:55
Like Toby10, I would suggest a router rather than connecting directly between the PC and squeezebox. They are very cheap these days and will make it very easy to expand (either squeezeboxes or computers) later one.
I do have a D-Link DIR 628 wireless router that is currently not set up as my main system is boxed up and everything else is hardwired to the PC (i.e., Printer, Speakers and HP amp). I was going to wait until I move, and have multiple PC's and my main system set-up, before setting up a network. Given this information, do you still suggest that I set up a home-network using my router now, or should I wait until after I move?

Regarding J.River, I use it myself to create playlists. If you run J.River on the same machine that is running squeezeboxserver, you will have no trouble. Otherwise, conversion of pathnames will have to be done. For instance, I have a linux server running squeezeboxserver for me and I use J.River on my laptop to generate playlists. To take care of the fact that the pathnames to the music files on my Linux machine are different than on my laptop, I have a script that runs to automate the conversion.
Initially, J. River and any SB software will be loaded onto my PC. When I move, I will have my main PC upstairs and my stereo (you can tell I'm old!) downstairs. At that time, I will investigate using a separate HDD connected to the SBT via USB.

Thanks to the both of you for the help...greatly appreciated!