Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moley6knipe
    • Feb 2007

SB3/boom text scrolling "stutters"

Found surprisingly little about this when I searched: if I use my SB3 or boom wirelessly, the text "stutters" when scrolling on the device's display. Not enough to be unusable, but it's annoying. Wired, they're fine.

Both devices show signal strength of 70%+, my PC is a Core2Duo 3.00Ghz with 4Gb of RAM loaded so it's more than man enough.

Anyone else experience this, and if so any tips? I do run Kaspersky but it's set to not monitor any Squeezebox Server activity of any type at any time; also doubt that's the cause as wired it all works fine.
    Win7 > iTunes 10.5 > SBS 7.5.4 > iPeng > Squeezebox 3 / Boom / iPhone > ears
  • Chunkywizard
    • Feb 2009

Yep, I see this on my wireless Boom. I just learnt to live with it, but it would be nice to be smoother.

CW
    Squeezebox: Boom x2 (Kitchen and Living Room), Radio x4 (Kids, Play Room and Bedroom), PiCorePlayer (Office)
    Server: 8.1.0 for PCP
    Plugins: Spotty | Dynamic Playlists | SQL Playlist | Music and Artist Information | TrackStat
    Remote: iPhone8/iPad Air running iPeng
    Music: Last.fm

Comment

• moley6knipe
      • Feb 2007

Thanks, I'm glad it's not just me!

Does anyone know why? It seems odd to me that it can manage to stream lossless audio without such stuttering. I guess the audio buffers, but the text doesn't?

Comment

• ChrisNY
        • Apr 2006

Have you tried the settings in the following post?

The scrolling is much smoother when I use these settings, but I have my SB3 wired, so I can't speak to whether it helps with a wireless connection.

Comment

• moley6knipe
          • Feb 2007

Thanks, but it's not the scroll rate that's the problem, it's the scrolling jumping several positions in one go.

But I'll have a play, can't hurt! Thanks for the link.

Comment

• andyg
            Former Squeezebox Guy
            • Jan 2006

If it works fine when wired this means you have a poor wireless network. Try changing wireless channels, rebooting your access point, and so on.

Comment

• moley6knipe
              • Feb 2007

Thanks Andy, I think that's the key. I'll change frequencies, I'm assuming a strength of 70%+ should be enough.

Thinking about it, when my Boom is playing music it sometimes interferes with the baby monitor, which isn't a wi-fi device. Starting to point to a frequency clash.

Thanks!

Comment

• Chunkywizard
                • Feb 2009

I tried the new settings and it is much smoother, and I don't see to get the jumps like before (actually I think because the step size is reduced the jumps are harder to see). I found is a bit faster but changing 0.03 to 0.05 suited my needs

CW
                Squeezebox: Boom x2 (Kitchen and Living Room), Radio x4 (Kids, Play Room and Bedroom), PiCorePlayer (Office)
                Server: 8.1.0 for PCP
                Plugins: Spotty | Dynamic Playlists | SQL Playlist | Music and Artist Information | TrackStat
                Remote: iPhone8/iPad Air running iPeng
                Music: Last.fm

Comment

Working...