PDA

View Full Version : Best free stations

Firebird67
2010-03-04, 08:37
Hello,

I'm new on this site and with the Squeezebox products and wondering where are the best free internet radio stations you keep in your list ?

(when i say "best free" i mean sound quality, programmation)

Thanks

Pierre

Firebird67
2010-03-04, 08:38
... by genre if possible ;-)

ChrisNY
2010-03-04, 10:04
"eclectic" for lack of a better genre:
http://radioparadise.com

toby10
2010-03-04, 10:22
Search for the word AVRO within Internet Radio > Search
Number of great streams, from 192k to 320k

Also a neat little trick to find numerous high(er) quality, high(er) bitrate streams:

Use ShoutCast settings to easily seek out many of the higher bitrate streams:

SBS > My Apps > ShoutCast > Settings >
- Station Sort Order > *highest bitrate*
- Bitrate Filtering > *192k*

You can also set the above ShoutCast settings on MySB > Remote Control > ShoutCast > Settings >

Now any Search or Genre you choose within ShoutCast will only result in streams 192k or higher (or say 128k if you chose 128k as your limit)
This will also filter out most of the many duplicate streams (same stream offered in four different bitrates)

But there are draw backs to this Bitrate Filtering:
- greatly reduces results (number of stations) for Searches & Genres
- many Searches and Genres will have zero results
- AAC files will not show up as few (if any) are at such high bitrates
ex: a 64k AAC stream is basically equal in audio quality to a 128k MP3 or WMA stream

ENJOY! :)

Nonreality
2010-03-05, 00:07
What does eclectic really mean? I loosely understand it but maybe not really. Can anyone give a clearer understanding of the word with maybe some bands or artists?

mherger
2010-03-05, 00:35
> What does eclectic really mean?

Radio Paradise can easily mix The Beatles, King Crimson (early 90s), Habib Koité and Mich Gerber and it sounds right. This is no definition for "eclectic", but how I experienced it.

A few years back I bought a CD which was considered "Eclectic Music", and I didn't understand the term. But I think RP helped me understand it.

--

Michael

garym
2010-03-05, 04:47
+1 on radio paradise, 192 stream and very diverse, interesting music mix.

ChrisNY
2010-03-05, 10:21
What does eclectic really mean? I loosely understand it but maybe not really. Can anyone give a clearer understanding of the word with maybe some bands or artists?

I guess it's more of a catch-all for a station which doesn't keep itself restricted to a particular genre/style. For example, RadioIO Eclectic would play music that would be categorized into narrower categories elsewhere on the RadioIO menu. So while you'd get deluged with nonstop bluegrass on the Bluegrass station, the eclectic station would mix one bluegrass song followed by a folk or jazz tune.

The thing about Radio Paradise is that the mix is well organized so that even though you're hearing music from multiple genres, it doesn't (to me anyway) do so in a way where the transitions are jarring to the listener.