PDA

View Full Version : Playing downloaded Podcasts, Radio Shows and Audio Books

JJZolx
2010-03-03, 17:41
I recently downloaded some episodes from several radio shows, plus a couple of audio books. Is there some plugin or other Squeezebox Server mechanism for automatically saving your place and resuming playback at the same point within an audio file?

The only thing I've found is to use pause, but I can only listen to a single item, and not change between them and keep my place. For example, I could be in the middle of chapter 5 of an audio book, want to listen to a radio show, then return to the same place in the book at a later time.

funkstar
2010-03-04, 01:35
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=75885

Seems you aren't the only one that is looking for that today.

JJZolx
2010-03-04, 03:20
That's it? I saw that and figured there must be something better than setting bookmarks. For instance, add a track to a list of podcasts, maybe something like a playlist, and your place would be remembered automatically.

JayLaFunk
2010-03-04, 05:54
Hi,

I have been after something like this for a long time now, I did contact Coolio @ Ipeng and asked if he could make someting like this for Ipeng as I have a lot of audiobooks, he sounded interested and asked me to file a ticket, which I did but have not heard anything since.

Jay

sander
2010-03-06, 12:38
I agree with all that better podcast handling would be awesome. For me personally it would finally nudge me off 7.3.

The current behavior of streaming is nice because you don't get the backlog and wasted bandwidth from subscribing where you download episodes all the time, however the problems are annoying.

Specifically for me, syncing a new device frequently resets the stream to the beginning and bandwidth fluctuations can make it fail when its part of the way through.

Since the server is connected to something that has a fair amount of disk space I would really like more of caching mechanism which could leverage the usual local playback advantages.

Philip Meyer
2010-03-10, 01:01
>That's it? I saw that and figured there must be something better than
>setting bookmarks. For instance, add a track to a list of podcasts,
>maybe something like a playlist, and your place would be remembered
>automatically.
>
The Bookmark plugin is the only solution at the moment.

Well, actually the solution I've adopted is to not use podcasts at all in SBS. Too much hassle. Problems:

1. Not remembering last played position, so no resume functionality.
2. Not listing episode status - i.e. which ones have been played, half-played, not played.
3. Inadequate FWD/REW (no audio feedback).

My solution is to use iTunes to manage podcasts, sync to an old iPod Nano, and connect it via line-in into the back of a Boom. i.e. just use the Boom as an amplifier.

Phil

nhannidog
2010-03-25, 18:09
Got the bookmark plugin installed SC v 7.4.2 OK, how do you set and restore bookmarks (SB Boom)???

Tnx!