PDA

View Full Version : Wireless signal drops every few seconds

liffy99
2010-03-03, 14:12
SB3 (kitchen) is driving me mad. All was fine a few weeks ago, now it just loses connection repeatedly (and every time it's left alone for a few hours).

I keep trying to get past the "Waking up Slimserver" / "Connecting to Slimserver" bit, and setting up network connections from scratch (both fixed and auto IP options) to no avail.

Today I managed to look at the wireless signal strength which fluctuates between 58% and 70%. But, strangely, every 10-12 seconds (might be every 11 spot on but without a stopwatch I can't be more exact) the signal drops to 0%.

To my knowledge I've not added or changed any settings, nor added any devices which might interfere (I know it doesn't like the microwave but that's another story and very short term obviously). I've even turned the fridge off but no change. The SB3 in the lounge works perfectly.

I've tried several different router channels to little effect.

Ideas ?
Thanks

Mnyb
2010-03-03, 14:28
Why not switch places with the SB3's to see if the problem follows the SB3 or if it is the location (wifi disturbances).

If it's following the SB3 try it wired to the router instead of wifi.

Iv'e never opened an SB3 some treads here suggest that the wifi card could get loose under some circumstances ? worth to investigate.

The wifi card could also be broken, or the rest of the SB3 ?

One could also swap the wifi card between the SB3's ?
I've never tried this either, no idea if a bad wifi card can damage the SB3 or if a bad SB3 can fry the wifi card.

Other forum members have "repaired" completely dysfunctional SB3 by removing a faulty wifi card and then used it wired instead.
The original SB3 was sold in a version without wifi card, so it can function without it.

liffy99
2010-03-04, 05:56
Unfortunately I can't swap the over. One is modified with analogue outputs disabled.

toby10
2010-03-04, 07:23
Unfortunately I can't swap the over. One is modified with analogue outputs disabled.

The swap is just a quick & temporary situation to watch the WiFi signal strength.

liffy99
2010-03-06, 15:06
OK did that - but problem still persists.

It's really weird and difficult to pin down, so I'll try and list the symptoms;

1) SB3 struggles to acquire a wireless signal. Waving it around the room to find better reception areas (possibly) seems to help but it still won't stay connected. The screen just goes blank and then I have to try "waking up slimserver" again.
2) Every now and again the screen simply freezes - won't respond to the remote (I've changed the remote batteries). Have to power off and start again.
3) Settings / IP addresses etc all seem fine - proven by the fact that I can connect, albeit for just a few seconds.
4) When I have managed to stay talking to the SB3 I've watched the signal strength (which is slightly better than the SB3 in the lounge which works just fine). Generally it varies from 60 to 70%, but every 10 seconds or so it drops to 0%. then picks up again. ???
5)
I've managed to get as far as Alien BBC on occasion but when trying to select a station (Radio 4)it displays the last station I ever listened to (weeks ago) - in this case Radio 4 Thought for the Day - sits there (with the musical note symbol) and plays nothing.

These probkems all started a few weeks ago but I can't think of any changes i've made to anything that would casue this. No updates to Slimserver software (6.5.4), firmware upgrades (version 81), NAS (QNAP TS201) is just the same.

I've tried turning off anything close on the same mains (fridge, freezer) to no effect. My neighbour hasn't changed his network. I've tried several different router channels. Have BT downloaded anything new to the Home Hub (can they do this without me knowing) - but then that would affect both SB3s wouldn't it ?

This is driving me nuts - all was fine a few weeks ago . . . .

Anyone near Glastonbury who's an expert on these things ???

Mnyb
2010-03-06, 16:13
OK did that - but problem still persists.

It's really weird and difficult to pin down, so I'll try and list the symptoms;

1) SB3 struggles to acquire a wireless signal. Waving it around the room to find better reception areas (possibly) seems to help but it still won't stay connected. The screen just goes blank and then I have to try "waking up slimserver" again.
2) Every now and again the screen simply freezes - won't respond to the remote (I've changed the remote batteries). Have to power off and start again.
3) Settings / IP addresses etc all seem fine - proven by the fact that I can connect, albeit for just a few seconds.
4) When I have managed to stay talking to the SB3 I've watched the signal strength (which is slightly better than the SB3 in the lounge which works just fine). Generally it varies from 60 to 70%, but every 10 seconds or so it drops to 0%. then picks up again. ???
5)
I've managed to get as far as Alien BBC on occasion but when trying to select a station (Radio 4)it displays the last station I ever listened to (weeks ago) - in this case Radio 4 Thought for the Day - sits there (with the musical note symbol) and plays nothing.

These probkems all started a few weeks ago but I can't think of any changes i've made to anything that would casue this. No updates to Slimserver software (6.5.4), firmware upgrades (version 81), NAS (QNAP TS201) is just the same.

I've tried turning off anything close on the same mains (fridge, freezer) to no effect. My neighbour hasn't changed his network. I've tried several different router channels. Have BT downloaded anything new to the Home Hub (can they do this without me knowing) - but then that would affect both SB3s wouldn't it ?

This is driving me nuts - all was fine a few weeks ago . . . .

Anyone near Glastonbury who's an expert on these things ???

did you really swap SB3's when you tried this ? then it must be some wifi interference/problem if the same SB3 works in one location but not another, then it's nothing wrong with the SB3 itself.
That was the point we wanted you to prove, you have eliminate different possibilities one at the time.

It can be dect phones microwaves baby monitors rc cars and whatnots.
How bad would it be to run a cable ? if you look at the time you have to invest in tracing this problem.

toby10
2010-03-07, 03:56
OK did that - but problem still persists.....

As Mnyb asks, did you swap SB3's?

When you say the problem "persists" do you mean:
1. the WiFi problem followed the SB3 to the new location, 2nd SB3 does *not* exhibit the problem in the bad location?
This indicates a bad SB3.
-- or --
2. the problem SB3 worked fine via WiFi in the new location, 2nd SB3 now exhibits the same problem in the bad location?
This indicates a WiFi signal/interference issue.

Ikabob
2010-03-07, 04:27
I had a similar situation temporarily. I had a wireless provider that rented me a combination modem/router. In order to get better signal strength I went out and purchased a Linksy's router and connected it. Now I had the combination unit plus the solo new router. I thought that my Squeezes would be rock solid only to find that I ,like you, developed a similar chronic dropout issue.

It turned out my new router was too close to my combo modem/ router and naturally the two routers were "fighting" with each other. I , with the help of this forum, exchanged the combo for a solo modem only. This solved the problem.

Just a stab in the dark suggestion to try to help. I know I'm probably way off base since I am not a computer guru.

liffy99
2010-03-07, 05:07
Sorry, I wan't being clear.
The problem follows the SB3 (although it is slightly better in some places than others in managing to get connected at all). Typically it will find a network half the time, then if it gets that far might succeed in sonnecting to Slimserver half the time, but then just loses connection a few seconds later.

No chance in running a cable to it (3 rooms and 15m away - the very reason I want wireless) but I'll get another ethernet cable and try it wired direct to the router if I can as a test.

What is flooring me is that as far as I can tell no changes to the system or environment have been made - it just suddenly became very unreliable. And there don't seem to be any diagnostics I can run from SB3 or server end (that a layman can use anyway). In Slimserver it normally displays which SB3s are detected on the system - it rarely shows the kitchen one.

But thanks for suggestions.

Mnyb
2010-03-07, 05:28
Well if it follows the SB3 it must be something wrong with it ?

A test with a cable is good then you iron out of the whole SB3 or "only" it's wifi is broken .

Don't forget the reset so it really uses the cable.

Does it have any warranty left ?

liffy99
2010-03-07, 15:18
Well, hooked up via ethernet cable - and it's still working several hours later ! Much faster to get through the menus too (I've always run these things wirelessly before). So looks like there's a problem with the wireless section of the SB3. Not under warranty unfortunately so will see what the repair costs are . . . (or just wait for the Touch !)

toby10
2010-03-08, 04:09
........ Not under warranty unfortunately so will see what the repair costs are . . . (or just wait for the Touch !)

I don't think they will repair them any more, unless under warranty.

bobkoure
2010-03-08, 11:09
If it's inconvenient to run a wire (when is it not?) you could
- get a dd-wrt "capable" router (pretty cheap, lately)
- install dd-wrt
- put the router in "remote client" mode
- run a wire between your SB and this router

Yes, it's one more box, but you may find it to be less trouble / expense than running a wire.

tcutting
2010-03-08, 11:22
Or you could consider something like Homeplug to make a virtual "wired" network using your powerlines. I've never used myself, but there have been several discussions on this forum.

Mnyb
2010-03-08, 11:23
.. or "homeplugs" or whatever they call this ethernet over the power line things that's makes it possible to run a network on your 110 or 230 volt outlets.

liffy99
2010-03-08, 15:20
Well, had a look inside the beast after seeing comments about failing wifi cards. Looked OK but reseated it (the wireless card)and resoldered a dry looking joint at the from edge (clip sort of thingy).
Voila - wireless connection now re-established, even in the kitchen and signal strength has increased 10%.
Problem now is that it no longer picks up radio (Alien BBC) and can't connect to Squeeze Network - but I suspect that's a result of changimng IP addresses and settings more times than I've had hot dinners . . . .