PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Server forgets my Server

fquails
2010-03-02, 09:23
I did a search and can't find a thread addressing this issue, so I'm starting a new one.

I am using an old notebook pc as a dedicated server for my Squeezebox Duet system (2 players and 2 controllers). The laptop is connected to the network via ethernet, and has WOL enabled. The players are connected wirelessly.

Since I have WOL enabled, my laptop pc is set to hibernate after 30 minutes of inactivity.

Everything works perfectly---as long as I don't use mysqueezebox.com for too long. When my laptop PC is hibernating, and I use mysqueezebox.com for a couple of days without using the squeezebox server/laptop PC, squeezebox server will forget that my laptop PC ever existed. When that happens, I can't use my Controllers to 'wake up' my laptop PC. I would then have to manually turn the laptop back on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that while the laptop PC is hibernating, and I use mysqueezebox.com for a couple of days, the laptop PC will vanish from the list of available libraries. Which means I can't even select the laptop PC as my music source. Thus, squeezebox server can't send a magic packet to wake up the laptop PC.

aubuti
2010-03-02, 09:33
This isn't the most elegant solution, and I'm not 100% certain it will work for you, but it's probably worth a try. I haven't used WOL in a while, but when I did I found that the WOL applet by Thomas Houlberg would always reliably wake my server even when the SBC's normal operation wouldn't. Look for the WOL applet on this page: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlay_Applets

fquails
2010-03-02, 10:14
This isn't the most elegant solution, and I'm not 100% certain it will work for you, but it's probably worth a try. I haven't used WOL in a while, but when I did I found that the WOL applet by Thomas Houlberg would always reliably wake my server even when the SBC's normal operation wouldn't. Look for the WOL applet on this page: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlay_Applets

Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that while the laptop PC is hibernating, and I use mysqueezebox.com for a couple of days, the laptop PC will vanish from the list of available libraries. Which means I can't even select the laptop PC as my music source. Thus, squeezebox server can't send a magic packet to wake up the laptop PC.

aubuti
2010-03-02, 12:45
Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that while the laptop PC is hibernating, and I use mysqueezebox.com for a couple of days, the laptop PC will vanish from the list of available libraries. Which means I can't even select the laptop PC as my music source. Thus, squeezebox server can't send a magic packet to wake up the laptop PC.
That's why the WOL applet is so good. You enter the laptop's MAC address manually in the applet setup, and the applet stores it somewhere on the SBC, so you won't have the issue of your server being "forgotten". I'm not sure exactly where it is stored on the SBC, but in my experience it even survives SBC firmware upgrades.

(Btw, it's SBC that sends the magic packet, not SBS. SBS can't very well send a magic packet if the laptop on which SBS is installed is hibernating....)

Mnyb
2010-03-02, 12:55
There is open bugs on this the Controller can not WOL directly after it's returned from mysqueezebox.com

aubuti
2010-03-02, 13:05
Hmm, maybe I misread the OP's post. It sounded to me as if he could WOL from mysb, but only if he wasn't on mysb too long (eg, "as long as I don't use mysqueezebox.com for too long"). That's a drag if the WOL bug is still around, because as I recall that affected Thomas H's applet as well.

fquails
2010-03-02, 13:32
That's why the WOL applet is so good. You enter the laptop's MAC address manually in the applet setup, and the applet stores it somewhere on the SBC, so you won't have the issue of your server being "forgotten". I'm not sure exactly where it is stored on the SBC, but in my experience it even survives SBC firmware upgrades.

(Btw, it's SBC that sends the magic packet, not SBS. SBS can't very well send a magic packet if the laptop on which SBS is installed is hibernating....)

Duh...makes sense...now that you mentioned it :-)

Hmm, maybe I misread the OP's post. It sounded to me as if he could WOL from mysb, but only if he wasn't on mysb too long (eg, "as long as I don't use mysqueezebox.com for too long"). That's a drag if the WOL bug is still around, because as I recall that affected Thomas H's applet as well.

How do I install the applet? I've never done that, so I have no clue.

As an alternative, is it possible to access mysqueezebox.com VIA the squeezebox server in my laptop? That way, the laptop PC is always in the chain, making it impossible to vanish from available music sources. I wonder if that'll work?

Mnyb
2010-03-02, 14:04
Here is the latest bug that someone actually works on

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14972

P2 scheduled for 7.5

This old one is basically the same thing but not considered a dupe ?

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10191

Sheduled for future=never ?

Mixed message here.

aubuti
2010-03-02, 14:26
How do I install the applet? I've never done that, so I have no clue.
See the link in my initial response to your post (post #2 above).

As an alternative, is it possible to access mysqueezebox.com VIA the squeezebox server in my laptop? That way, the laptop PC is always in the chain, making it impossible to vanish from available music sources. I wonder if that'll work?
Yes, and if you don't mind leaving your pc on all the time, this is most stable way to run SB (in my opinion). In fact, you don't have to access mysb.com explicitly at all -- everything available on mysb.com is also available right there via SBS.

fquails
2010-03-02, 20:03
See the link in my initial response to your post (post #2 above).

Yes, and if you don't mind leaving your pc on all the time, this is most stable way to run SB (in my opinion). In fact, you don't have to access mysb.com explicitly at all -- everything available on mysb.com is also available right there via SBS.

Thanks for the link. I'll try that applet this weekend.

It doesn't look like I can access mysb.com via squeezebox server. I just tried accessing mysqueezebox.com using the SBC after having selected my laptop PC as the music source. While playing music via the laptop's SBS, the SBC indicated that to go to internet radio (I wanted to listen to BBC), I'll have to switch to mysqueezebox.com...so I did, and my laptop PC went into standby after a few minutes. BBC continued to play, via mysqueezebox.com...

fquails
2010-03-02, 20:05
Here is the latest bug that someone actually works on

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14972

P2 scheduled for 7.5

This old one is basically the same thing but not considered a dupe ?

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10191

Sheduled for future=never ?

Mixed message here.

Man, that is ANNOYING. I hope this bug is fixed soon...very soon!