PDA

View Full Version : Installing SqueezeboxServer_7.4.2 on ReadyNAS Duo

cmac
2010-03-02, 07:40
Hi

I am trying to install the latest version of SqueezeboxServer (7.4.2) on my ReadyNAS Duo with RAIDiator 4.1.6 (again the latest release). I have followed the instructions on the Squeezebox site and the ReadyNAS reports that SqueezeboxServer_7.4.2 has been correctly installed. However when I look on the ReadyNAS under Services what appears to be the original SqueezeCenter software has re-appeared (complete with the link to Logitech to upgrade to the full version).

As I was already using RAIDiator 4.1.6 I didn't reinstall the upgrade but apart from that step I followed the instructions to the letter. Can anyone help me get the full version installed?

Thanks

nicklouse
2010-03-17, 14:25
i am also looking for this info, but i did not even find any info on the step by step guide.

mark wollschlager
2010-03-17, 18:45
The short list of steps is:
1. run CleanSqueezeCenter- plugin- reboot when prompted
http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/4.01/Clean_SqueezeCenter_DB_1.0.bin
2. uninstall Squeezecenter from the Frontview streaming services page- reboot
3. run CleanSqueezeCenter- again reboot. There will be an error displayed after it boots ( in Frontview) about unable to drop database, ignore it.
4. install the new 7.4.2 squeezebox server - reboot
5. run CleanSqueezeCenter- reboot
6. after it reboots, wait a couple of minutes, then open the squeeze center page http://(ip address of ReadyNAS):9000 and answer the setup questions.
If you have music files on the ReadyNAS and you pointed to them in the setup questions,
Squeeze center will start rebuilding the index after you click finish. After a while you should have everything going.

This has worked for me more than a few times.
Running the CleanSqueeze center in step 3 might not be required. It adds a couple of minutes to the process.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

nicklouse
2010-03-18, 01:31
Mark thanks.

but 4. install the new 7.4.2 squeezebox server - reboot

How and what?

sorry I must be missing something but I can find no info on how to do this, unless i an missing the the obvious.

nicklouse
2010-03-18, 03:10
Ok I have found what I need.

I was able to update SqueezeCenter v7.3r3 to the newest Squeezebox Server v7.41 successfully today on my ReadyNAS NV+. I used the wiki instructions for updating at this link http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/S ... n_ReadyNAS.

They want you to use the ReadyNAS add-on CleanSqueezeCenter, which for me meant downloading and installing the file "Clean_SqueezeCenter_DB_1.0.bin"

If you are already running Raidiator v4.16 then the procedures are as follows; (from the wiki)

Run CleanSqueezeCenter

On the Admin page, go to System > Update > Local tab

1. Click on Browse and browse to the folder you stored the files in earlier.
2. Select the CleanSqueezeCenter file and click "Upload and verify image..."
3. Once the upload is finished, click on "Perform System Update".
4. You will be prompted to restart the ReadyNAS and directed to the Shutdown tab, select "Shutdown and reboot your device", then click Apply.

Once your ReadyNAS restarts, log into the Admin page again and move on to the next step.
Remove Previous Version of SqueezeCenter (or Slimserver) and Install New Version

On the Admin page, go to Services > Streaming Services.

1. Check the box next to SqueezeCenter, then click on Remove in the same section.
2. Now, go to System > Update > Local tab.
3. Click on Browse and browse to the folder you stored the files in earlier.
4. Select the Squeezecenter 7.3.3 ((note 11-16-09; now they mean select v7.4.1)) file and click on "Upload and verify image..."
5. Once the upload is finished, click on "Perform System Update".
6. Once the update is finished, go to the Shutdown tab and select "Shutdown and reboot your device", then click Apply.

Once your ReadyNAS restarts, log into the Admin page again and move on to the next step.
Run CleanSqueezeCenter (one last time)

On the Admin page, go to System > Update > Local tab.

1. Click on Browse and browse to the folder you stored the files in earlier.
2. Select the CleanSqueezeCenter file and click "Upload and verify image..."
3. Once the upload is finished, click on "Perform System Update".
4. You will be prompted to restart the ReadyNAS and directed to the Shutdown tab, select "Shutdown and reboot your device", then click Apply.

Be aware that by running the CleanSqueezeCenter_DB add-on you will of course be clearing out all your SqueezeCenter settings. With the new SqueezeBox Server v7.41 installed, you will need to go into the Squeezebox Server web interface and re-establish all of your pathways to the music folders....etc, then tell it to rescan your library before it will serve up your music.

as someone had the foresight to copy the wiki infos. ;)

anyone got anything to add?

mark wollschlager
2010-03-18, 06:51
where did the quote come from?
It is different than the old wiki ( which had not been updated for a while).
and its better written. :-)
Sorry, I made the assumption that that you knew the Frontview screens.
I will update my instructions to be more inclusive.

nicklouse
2010-03-18, 10:54
Mark I found in on the netgear site.

just been on the phone to support informing them that their support is crap and they need to update there instructions or at least their links.

As it is just poor.

had a squeeze box for quite some time now and they dont make it easy do they.

well lets see if i can do this right.

nicklouse
2010-03-19, 05:20
the Wiki has been updated/restored.

which might help reduce the n00b questions.

Oh all went well on the update. It is easy when the instruction are available.