PDA

View Full Version : Problems with squeezebox classic

Michael Herts
2010-02-28, 10:45
I've been running a squeezebox classic with no problems for a few years now. I thought I'd buy a squeezebox radio a few months ago and so upgraded the server software so that both systems can run. Since doing so, my squeezebox classic has become temperamental; it often freezes, has problems buffering music and then displays "can not connect to server". I've tried a few things and found the following.
1) Squeezebox radio carries on working when classic fails (I've tried them in the same position
2) Wireless signal strength is around 80%
3) It seems to work Ok when connected to the router via an etherneet cable
4) Network test is 100% up to 1000Kpbs and then tails off a little
5) Classic firmware version no is 130
6)Server version no is 7.4.2

Can anyone work out what might be wrong?

jjoonnaass
2010-02-28, 12:17
I'm having exactly the same problem after "upgrading" to 7.4.2. Before this I never had a drop out but now I can't seem to play more than a song or two without drop outs. All my music is apple lossless - could it be that the encoding/decoding has changed and now require more bandwidth?

redwerner
2010-03-30, 10:28
My Problem is the same...

.. have anyone a idee?

Greetings

Werner

snarlydwarf
2010-03-30, 10:55
Could be the server is getting load peaks at times (virus scan checking files on open?). The Radio has a much larger buffer and could "ride out" some of these.

Is there anything interesting in the server logs?

SilverRS8
2010-03-30, 13:01
Same here... Also Radio and Receiver keep on working fine. SB3 has drop outs.

matthijskoopmans
2010-03-30, 13:09
I have two squeezebox classics, and a boom.

One Squeezebox is branded Slim Devices (the white model), is having the regular problems. The newer Squeezebox, branded Logitech, is quite stable. The boom provides the most stable experience of them all.

The question is: has the hardware changed in anyway between the Slim Devices squeezebox and the Logitect model (I bought the first in 2005, and the second in 2008)?

The basic specs seem the same, but maybe a different manufacturer for the wireless network component, or a different chip somewhere?

pfarrell
2010-03-30, 13:12
matthijskoopmans wrote:
> The basic specs seem the same, but maybe a different manufacturer for
> the wireless network component, or a different chip somewhere?

Its likely that something changed, parts become unavailable.

Have you started with the basics? Open it up, and reseat all the cards,
especially the WiFi card.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

rgreenhaus
2010-04-01, 18:40
I don't understand why I'm getting regular audio drop-outs and rebuffering. It's happened periodically in the past and I assumed it was a network issue. I switched to a ReadyNAS Duo as my source and even with the Squeezebox 3 hardwired to the network router I'm having the problem repeatedly. I've tried to optimize the settings on the ReadyNAS and player and I've disabled any background operations but I can't seem to find a solution.

Suggestions??

Player Model: squeezebox3
Firmware: 130
Player IP Address: 192.168.1.104
Player MAC Address: 00:04:20:06:d0:4e
Wireless Signal Strength: 100%

Mnyb
2010-04-01, 21:45
I don't understand why I'm getting regular audio drop-outs and rebuffering. It's happened periodically in the past and I assumed it was a network issue. I switched to a ReadyNAS Duo as my source and even with the Squeezebox 3 hardwired to the network router I'm having the problem repeatedly. I've tried to optimize the settings on the ReadyNAS and player and I've disabled any background operations but I can't seem to find a solution.

Suggestions??

Player Model: squeezebox3
Firmware: 130
Player IP Address: 192.168.1.104
Player MAC Address: 00:04:20:06:d0:4e

The player is still wireless it won't change to ethernet just because you stick a wire into it you have do the network setup again.

Long press on left arrow on remote...

redwerner
2010-04-01, 23:42
Hi,

My Problem is the same...

.. have anyone a idee?

I found the problem.

First, unplug power and plug in while holding down the ADD-Key on remote control.

Now the same procedure with the remote control key 1.

Hope it helps you too.

chrisinparis
2011-08-23, 06:39
Sorry to bring an old thread to life, but my SB3 is not showing much life, and whilst searching the web I cam back to these forums, and to this post!

At first sight, it does look as though either the PSU or the SB3 itself is dead, but I'm wondering what other tests I should and can do first, e.g.

I found the problem.

First, unplug power and plug in while holding down the ADD-Key on remote control.

Now the same procedure with the remote control key 1.

Hope it helps you too.

I couldn't find aby reference tp this test in the wiki - are there others I can try?

Lastly, how hard is it to open up the SB3 casing (check wifi board etc)?

Chris
Posted last night: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=89797

aubuti
2011-08-23, 07:38
I don't think there are any others to try. If I remember correctly, holding down the + does a factory reset of the SB3, and holding down the '1' key resets the xilink chip. I've never opened the case, but it's supposed to be straightforward _if_ you have the correct Torx screwdriver (a regular screwdriver will not do). Good luck.

Soulkeeper
2011-08-23, 07:46
It's very easy if you've got the right torx driver. Added bonus: All the screws are the same size. Ingenious. :)

chrisinparis
2011-08-24, 02:39
Thanks for the replies. Did a couple of more tests this morning (pressing the + or 1 button on the remote when adding power to the SB3), but nothing happened and as there is not even red light coming from the TOS port, I think either the PSU or the SB3 is dead. Or it could be the infamou wifi card problem.

Does the infamous wifi board problem stop the SB3 from booting up? Note that I use Ethernet only anyway? I think next step to ask on Logitech board where I can go to test my SB3 (must be a shop somewhere with one) by swappign the power cable.

If that does nothing, then time to open her up - nothing to lose (shame the Slim Devices fixed repair fee deal is no longer...).

Cheers

Soulkeeper
2011-08-24, 03:04
Does the infamous wifi board problem stop the SB3 from booting up?
Yes, that's what I've heard.

You might want to spend $40 on a multimeter. That way you can measure the voltage from the PSU while under load.

Open the SB3, remove the WiFi card, and power the SB3 up. If it boots, it's the WiFi card, problem solved. If it doesn't boot, you can proceed to measure the voltage on the inside of the power intake.

slate
2011-08-24, 03:19
Yes, that's what I've heard.

You might want to spend $40 on a multimeter. That way you can measure the voltage from the PSU while under load.

Open the SB3, remove the WiFi card, and power the SB3 up. If it boots, it's the WiFi card, problem solved. If it doesn't boot, you can proceed to measure the voltage on the inside of the power intake.

Had that issue with the PSU for my slingbox; after 2 years it semi-died.
All the light were on and things looked normal but it didn't work. Tried resetting and everything.
Measuring the voltage of the PSU output (end of wire) it looked ok, but when connected to slingbox the voltage dropped.
Found a replacement PSU and things are working again.

chrisinparis
2011-08-24, 06:35
Thanks for the replies. We seem to have a number of Torx screw drivers here; and my colleague does have a meter of soem sort (multimeter? will be googling that after this!), but is not sure it is now.

On the Logitech boards, I'm told that the SB Touch PSU is the same as the one for the SB3, and I'm waiting to hear if a shop in Zuerich has them at the moment (on display) so I can check this out. Otherwise

- multimeter,
- open up SB3,
- buy replacement PSU
- but replacement SB (would love a touch, but with my finances it's looking more like a SB Receiver controlled by iPeng).

garym
2011-08-24, 06:42
Thanks for the replies. We seem to have a number of Torx screw drivers here; and my colleague does have a meter of soem sort (multimeter? will be googling that after this!), but is not sure it is now.

On the Logitech boards, I'm told that the SB Touch PSU is the same as the one for the SB3, and I'm waiting to hear if a shop in Zuerich has them at the moment (on display) so I can check this out. Otherwise

- multimeter,
- open up SB3,
- buy replacement PSU
- but replacement SB (would love a touch, but with my finances it's looking more like a SB Receiver controlled by iPeng).

not sure, but I recall that a TOUCH PS will work with SB3 but a SB3 PS will NOT work with TOUCH. could be wrong....

toby10
2011-08-24, 07:55
not sure, but I recall that a TOUCH PS will work with SB3 but a SB3 PS will NOT work with TOUCH. could be wrong....

They are interchangeable PSU's. The one catch is you cannot use the SB3 PSU on the Touch if using the Touch's USB input.

chrisinparis
2011-08-25, 09:36
Hi, it was the power supply after all. Just have to get a replacement (if any suggestions, please post in my thread).

Thanks to all for suggestions and comments. My week just got a *lot* better :)

tompdx
2012-05-22, 20:01

The player is still wireless it won't change to ethernet just because you stick a wire into it you have do the network setup again.

Long press on left arrow on remote...

Thanks! This worked for me.

ncpetry
2013-01-15, 02:11
Have my SB Classic for quite some time but now have problems with connecting to the music on my PC. The Player is not recognized by the PC and the message on the SB is that it can't connect. Have gone many time through the setup procedures but - to no avail. Any suggestions????

toby10
2013-01-15, 02:34
Won't connect to your network or won't connect to your server (PC)?
Try connecting it to MySqueezeBox.com, see if it plays. Then try connecting it to your PC server via My Music.
Also try a router reboot.

Mnyb
2013-01-15, 07:28
Have my SB Classic for quite some time but now have problems with connecting to the music on my PC. The Player is not recognized by the PC and the message on the SB is that it can't connect. Have gone many time through the setup procedures but - to no avail. Any suggestions????

You have lms or sbs running on the pc ? make sure that the firewall are open at port 3483 udp/tcp and port 9000 tcp .
They are on the same network ,(some routers have guest networks for wifi )