PDA

View Full Version : system power mangement from Squeezebox Server - why not?

AndreE
2010-02-28, 07:25
just may be a provocative question
why do not include the power management capabilities into Squeezebox Server?
the Atom based server i have constructed has a main purpose to be a Squeezebox Server.
the power management capabilities would be a great option in the system (as a standard feature)

e.g. go to sleep when Squeezebox Server is idle more then x minutes, power server off, hibernate or just suspend in case last Receiver is switched off and so on - this would be agreat step towards energy efficientcy

are there any plans in this area?

aubuti
2010-02-28, 07:48
See the SrvrPowerCtrl plugin in the 3rd Party Plugins forum. It does exactly what you describe and it works great. Unfortunately recent versions of firmware appear to have broken the WOL capability of some SB devices.

epoch1970
2010-02-28, 13:40
There is much more to do in the arena than gharris999 can handle. I regret 7.4 came with new control panels, but no PM feature was added at that time.

I think most people would like to see the SBS block the OS from shutting down when music is playing, and little else happening. And SBS not sending the machine to sleep when players are idle, but some other application is running.
This is system dependant, and not within the reach of a plugin.

For a dedicated server, srvPowerControl will do fine.

Siduhe
2010-02-28, 13:49
I think most people would like to see the SBS block the OS from shutting down when music is playing, and little else happening.

There is the integrated Windows Prevent Standby plugin already - this was developed to deal with Windows' tendency to standby or hibernate whilst music was playing. Not such an issue with Linux/Mac OS as far as I am aware.

AndreE
2010-02-28, 13:51
it sounds interesting, simple nd not only.
just to share my experiense.
after moving to SUSE 11 i could get stable suspend to RAM (from all modes)
experementing with pm-utility i could manage preventthe susend by chking some files in the file system
this could be an approach: SCS dumps the status into the foder - pm checks it and suspends in case server is idle.
it is even possible to send sleep signal to "all" receivers
and get it back via WOL from the remote (via receiver - i have no WiFi)

what is not clear for me: when receiver loses the connction to the server - will it be ok? or will be "paniking"?

---------
Siduhe, how to prevent it on Linux (SUSE)? - would very appreciate if you could give a hint - my server suspends in any case...
i've seen suggestions to monitore the network/HDD activity, but this is inderect method

epoch1970
2010-02-28, 13:56
There is the integrated Windows Prevent Standby plugin already - this was developed to deal with Windows' tendency to standby or hibernate whilst music was playing. Not such an issue with Linux/Mac OS as far as I am aware.

Unfortunately, mac users seem to have the same problem, and Caffeine.app to have some future. For sure, some linux flavor is affected as well. The srvPowerControl thread is full of cases of this kind.

Instead of piling kludges, we need -IMHO- SBS to include a driver that hooks to the PM event loop of the OS, on common desktops: win, mac, gnome.

epoch1970
2010-02-28, 14:14
this could be an approach: SCS dumps the status into the foder - pm checks it and suspends in case server is idle.
I used to do this. My "when idle" command was "touch /var/lock/sleepnow" (and the flag was reaped by another process)

Siduhe, how to prevent it on Linux (SUSE)? - would very appreciate if you could give a hint - my server suspends in any case...
i've seen suggestions to monitore the network/HDD activity, but this is inderect method
srvPowerControl now has a "not idle" command it can send every minute or so. I guess you can use that to run a program that "wiggles the mouse" or something.

Network activity can be very low if you're listening to a radio in direct streaming mode (conversely, very high for an unimportant background process). So it is not very accurate.
HDD activity will not work when you listen to radio, or to a limited number of files in a loop: the files get cached and the drive goes to sleep...

pski
2010-02-28, 21:37
So many people are consumed with saving a few dollars a year.

Just set your sbs to idle and accept the "wake-up" consequences.

I am waiting for the HDA to spin-up on the first request each day and otherwise everything works beautifully.

P

To answer the question "why not?" : maybe it should start your coffee maker and have a major role in the control of you hot water heater..

AndreE
2010-03-02, 04:48
Hi PSKI,
You are absolutely right - my coffee machine gets up by the timer 45 minutes prior to my wake-up call ;-)
It needs ~30 minutes to be ready for the good coffee - and it is easy to automate - small digitally controlled power timer.

What comes to the music - I am not listening it every day, neither whole day in the row, but I do listen it.
And having the system up all the time would be excessive over kill (besides the power consumption ending in hundreds bucks every year and contribution to the global worming :-) )
If I were along in the house - this would not be a big deal, but I have wife and kids.
This results in the clear requirement to have power management it automated.
Iíve started the play with srvPowerControl plug-in and it looks like it may bring me what I desire, but...
I am working for software company and ... like to be in standard - it is what we also say to all our clients and what no one does ;-)
The power management would be a great option if it would work seamless in the whole solution.

Hi epoch1970
Your suggestion about touch sounds interesting, thanks for the idea