PDA

View Full Version : Speed of Touch with external HDD

NoMind
2010-02-27, 12:05
I've got my entire music collection (~200gb FLAC) on an external usb drive already and would like to use the Touch to replace my main computer as server.
However I previously tried running the server on a ReadyNAS Duo and gave up as the interface was so agonisingly slow on my Controller (not to mention the web interface...)

So.. what I'd like to know is if the Touch is going to be comparable to the server running on a decent computer?

I'm not concerned about speed of the library scan, as long as the Controller feels instant (or near as...) I'm happy.

sebp
2010-03-06, 06:51
Because my ReadyNAS died yesterday, I'm using mine right now with a USB disk holding my 400 GB FLAC (15000+) files collection to serve music to my other SBs all around the house.

It sure isn't as fast as with my Mac Mini (but wayyyyy faster than the ReadyNAS), but I'm really pleased by the responsiveness so far.
Overall, everything (including searches) answers within 4 to 8 seconds.

Edit: FWIW, the beta 7.5 "embedded" release brings huge speed enhancements to the ReadyNAS. Not as fast as the Touch, anyway, but with added value of being able to use plugins. Be warned I've been told latest nightlies for the ReadyNAS didn't work.

iPhone
2010-03-06, 09:52
I've got my entire music collection (~200gb FLAC) on an external usb drive already and would like to use the Touch to replace my main computer as server.
However I previously tried running the server on a ReadyNAS Duo and gave up as the interface was so agonisingly slow on my Controller (not to mention the web interface...)

So.. what I'd like to know is if the Touch is going to be comparable to the server running on a decent computer?

I'm not concerned about speed of the library scan, as long as the Controller feels instant (or near as...) I'm happy.

I am using my Touch (all FLAC) with a USB powered 640GB USB drive in the Expedition and a 2TB USB drive in the house without any issues of speed. It is not as fast as my dedicated SBS server, but there is not a huge difference. I had a ReadyNAS NV+ and have to say the Touch with TinySBS is much faster.

Of course you will lose the WebUI if using only the Touch in stand alone running TinySBS. But I would be willing to say that Controller use should be OK depending on your settings.