PDA

View Full Version : Preferences pane opens by itself



jweber
2010-02-26, 09:43
Once a day, for the last few days, the Squeezebox Server preferences pane has opened by itself! Does anyone know why this might happen?

JW

mherger
2010-02-26, 10:01
> Once a day, for the last few days, the Squeezebox Server preferences
> pane has opened by itself! Does anyone know why this might happen?

Have you been prompted to install an update?

jweber
2010-02-26, 10:51
No, but you may be on to something. When it launches the preferences pane, it has to restart it in 32-bit mode, so I'm prompted with an alert to that effect. Maybe if that weren't the case, I would be asked to install an update. Anyway, I noticed that one is available, so I'm installing it -- maybe that will fix the problem.

Thanks!

wcattey
2010-12-22, 13:35
With the release of Squeezebox Server 7.5.2, my Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 has started popping up the the Preferences pane every day.

There is no indication whatsoever that the reason for this pop-up is that a new version is available. I just had to figure it out by the following procedure:

1. Open the Squeezebox Server control web page.
2. Clicking on Help
3. Going to the user forums.
4. Logging in. (Maybe the announcement was already there, but I didn't see it until I logged in.)
5. Seeing that there is an announcement of a new version in the forums.

Only in the announcement was there a link to the release notes and download page.

So I have a couple questions:

1. What should I have done to receive an email notice of the new version?
2. Where should I have looked to see that the reason for my daily preference pane pop-up was that there was a new release?

Thanks in advance,

-Bill

wcattey
2011-04-10, 09:36
I'm disappointed that so many months have gone by with no reply to my question.

I see that some time ago, Version 7.5.3 replaced version 7.5.2.
I knew this because my Preferences window would open to the Squeezebox Server pane.

As with the previous update from 7.5.1 to 7.5.2 there was NO INDICATION WHATSOEVER as to why the preferences pane opened. YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW it means that there's an update.

WHAT GIVES HERE?

kidstypike
2011-04-10, 12:45
I'm disappointed that so many months have gone by with no reply to my question.

I see that some time ago, Version 7.5.3 replaced version 7.5.2.
I knew this because my Preferences window would open to the Squeezebox Server pane.

As with the previous update from 7.5.1 to 7.5.2 there was NO INDICATION WHATSOEVER as to why the preferences pane opened. YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW it means that there's an update.

WHAT GIVES HERE?

I'm sure that the regulars here are eager and willing to help, but maybe they are like me and don't understand the problem?

What is the "Preferences window", and what is the "Squeezebox Server pane"??

wcattey
2011-04-10, 17:03
Good questions. I've been remiss in describing my configuration.

I am running Squeezebox Server under MacOS version 10.5.8.
Under MacOS, Squeezebox Server is controlled from a system utility called, "System Preferences".
So when you want to start and stop Squeezebox Server, or to force a re-scan of the music library, you open "System Preferences" and click on the little icon of Squeezebox Server.
That flips to the pane within System Preferences. That pane offers some of the same tabs one would see if one opened the web interface and chose "Settings":
Status, Library, Account, Advanced and Information.

Near as I can tell, not all the "wires are connected up" to do updates properly.

On neither the System Preferences interface, nor the web interface, can I see any place to look for any kind of message to indicate that there is a new version of Squeezebox Server available.

On the web interface, under Settings->Advanced->Updates the two available parameters,
"Automatically check for software updates" and
"Automatically download software updates when they are available".

When a new version of Squeezebox server becomes available, every day at 4:00 PM local time (Eastern Daylight Savings time right now), the "System Preferences" application starts up, automatically flips to the Squeezebox Server pane, "Status" tab. But nothing on that page says anything about a new software version being available.

When I, by-hand, download the latest stable Squeezebox Server, and by-hand install it, this auto-startup behavior stops.

I suppose I could go to the web interface, and set "Don't check for software updates" and this auto-startup behavior would never again happen, but then I'd NEVER know there was a new version of Squeezebox server available.

-----

For those familiar with the MacOS port of Squeezebox Server:
To Re-ask my original question: Where should I be looking to see the actual message that says there's a new version available?

Do people agree, that starting up a system utility in the middle of the day with no other indication is possibly a sub-optimal way to alert the system owner that a new version of the Squeezebox Server is available?

Since I *DO* have the "Download new versions of the software automatically" preference set, is the new version being downloaded? To where? What is the expected way I should say, "OK! Now's a good time to cut over to the new version of the software. Go for it!"?

Or is it a simple matter that the Status tab of the System Preferences pane needs to be always saying, "Software version status: Up to Date/ Needs update" to appear above "Music Library Statistics" in the default status display, but somehow does not yet do so?

----

Hope this additional information helps make it easier to file this rough edge off of a REALLY GREAT piece of software.

mherger
2011-04-10, 21:56
> When a new version of Squeezebox server becomes available, every day at
> 4:00 PM local time (Eastern Daylight Savings time right now), the
> "System Preferences" application starts up, automatically flips to the
> Squeezebox Server pane, "Status" tab. But nothing on that page says
> anything about a new software version being available.

You should get a popup asking you whether you'd like to install the update right away or not. If you don't get that dialog box, then there's something wrong. What kind of other extensions do you have installed?


--

Michael

kidstypike
2011-04-11, 00:50
Hope this additional information helps make it easier to file this rough edge off of a REALLY GREAT piece of software.

Thanks for the explanation, regrettably I use Windows OS, and know nothing about MacOS. Hopefully someone who runs MacOS can help you with this.

Sheer coincidence, but as I was reading your post the Squeezebox Server update pop-up appeared, this is what Windows users see:

wcattey
2011-04-11, 06:11
@kidsytpike: Thanks anyway. Somehow I'll get this sorted out.

@mherger: I'm not sure I know what you mean by "extensions". As far as I know, this is a totally vanilla installation. I didn't install any additional apps or interfaces or anything.

When you say pop-up, you mean a modal dialog box would pop-up within the System Preferences app?

I've attached screen grabs of my Preferences window so you can see what all is installed in addition to Squeezebox Server. The second attachment is the Squeezebox Server pane as it opens by default.

wcattey
2011-04-17, 14:52
A couple days after installing 7.5.3, I got my daily pop-up of the MacOS System Preferences window.

As always, there's no indication of WHY.

But, lo and be hold, 7.5.4 has come out.

THIS IS STILL BROKEN!

bluegaspode
2011-04-18, 14:22
Micheal,

I can confirm the preferences pane coming up out of the blue on a Mac (I have 7.6 installed here).
I think I had the preferences pane open in the background (still from yesterday) and now in the middle of coding it comes to the front, telling me that I need to restart the preference pane in order to see the Squeezebox Pane.

I say 'OK' and only then I am told that there are new updates available.

mherger
2011-04-18, 14:28
> I can confirm the preferences pane coming up out of the blue on a Mac
> (I have 7.6 installed here).

In 7.6 this is expected behaviour: it'll download nightly builds, offering them for installation every day. Once you've disabled the automatic update you'd still have to either install the latest download, or remove any files from the update folder in SBS' cache.

--

Michael

wcattey
2011-04-18, 15:03
Any thoughts on how to find the root cause of my seeing the preference pane, but never seeing a reason why it pops up?

I'm happy to do tests, and investigate logs, even to read code.

bluegaspode
2011-04-18, 15:11
In 7.6 this is expected behaviour: it'll download nightly builds, offering them for installation every day.

Ah - ok.
Just thought that the user previously posting here was confused, that the preference-pane came up, just telling him to flip the the Squeezebox-Pane (without knowing yet that this was because of an update request).

Guess you cannot change that - but if possible it would be better to first have a popup 'new software available' before anything else.

wcattey
2011-04-18, 15:18
Yes. My original point was: If the Preferences pane pops up, it should say WHY.

Nobody has answered where one should look or could look in either the preference pane or the web interface to actually SEE a message saying there is an update. Not only do you just have to know that's the reason, but you also have to know where to look for the update, and how to download it and how to install it since NONE of that information is displayed by either the Preferences pane or the web interface in anywhere I could find.

Is it, in fact, visible somewhere through either of these two interfaces? Where?

mherger
2011-04-18, 21:31
> Nobody has answered where one should look or could look in either the
> preference pane or the web interface to actually SEE a message saying
> there is an update. Not only do you just have to know that's the
> reason, but you also have to know where to look for the update, and how
> to download it and how to install it since NONE of that information is
> displayed by either the Preferences pane or the web interface in
> anywhere I could find.

As bluegaspode has described you should get a message telling you about the update, and allowing you to install it with a single click.

How did you install SBS: for your user only or all users? Can you give us some details from the Settings/Information page, in particular the file paths for prefs and cache? If you don't like posting them, feel free to send them to michael št slimdevices dot com.

--

Michael

wcattey
2011-04-18, 22:05
Indeed, I get no such message.

I think I installed it "for all users", but my memory may be incorrect because, as we see, all the folders are under my home directory rather than a system directory.

I have been running the Squeezebox Server for a VERY long time, across a couple name changes. (Since 6.3.1). Doing a bit of digging I see, Michael, that you worked the bug I reported that necessitated my most recent clean install:

bugzilla 11899 When I had to run the uninstaller and THEN remove files by hand because there was a byte-order dependency in strings.bin. So the most recent clean install would have probably been 7.3.2.

Thanks very much for stepping up and helping with this one.

I don't have a problem with supplying the path info.

Cache Folder
/Users/wdc/Library/Caches/SlimServer
Preferences Folder
/Users/wdc/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox
Plugin Folders
/Users/wdc/Library/Caches/SlimServer/InstalledPlugins/Plugins, /Users/wdc/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox/Plugins, /Library/Application Support/Squeezebox/Plugins, /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/Plugins
Squeezebox Server Log File

/Users/wdc/Library/Logs/Squeezebox/server.log

Scanner Log File

/Users/wdc/Library/Logs/Squeezebox/scanner.log

mherger
2011-04-19, 00:45
> Indeed, I get no such message.

I think I'm seeing something odd in your paths:

> Cache Folder /Users/wdc/Library/Caches/SlimServer

This folder should have been migrated to Caches/Squeezebox during installation. Don't know why this didn't happen. The PrefPane is checking the Squeezebox path, but not SlimServer.

> I think I installed it "for all users", but my memory may be incorrect
> because, as we see, all the folders are under my home directory rather
> than a system directory.

That's correct, even if you installed for "all users".

> bugzilla 11899 When I had to run the uninstaller and THEN remove files
> by hand because there was a byte-order dependency in strings.bin. So
> the most recent clean install would have probably been 7.3.2.

Maybe another clean install would fix your issue. Uninstall SBS, but keep a copy of the /Users/wdc/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox folder. Remove the cache folder manually if needed. Then try to re-install (with /Users/wdc/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox still in place). Would this change the folder for the cache?

--

Michael

wcattey
2011-04-19, 10:21
I couldn't find an uninstaller script, so I used the directions I found at:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55656

There were directories: ~/Library/Application Support/
SlimDevices
SlimDevices-5.4
probably from very old installs. I used the UNIX mv command to rename them.

There was an empty directory ~/Library/Caches/SqueezeCenter'
I removed it. (rmdir SqueezeCenter)

There was a very full directory ~/Library/Caches/SlimServer
I recursively removed it. (rm -rf SlimServer)

There was no ~/Libraries/PreferencePanes
I removed Macintosh HD/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane
(sudo rm -rf Squeezebox.prefPane)

Then I ran the 7.5.4 installer. It detected that it needed to so a new install, and performed same.

Interestingly, we see that the Caches file is **STILL** SlimServer. So it utilized the contents of
~/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox and re-created the Cache directory you said was wrong.

Perhaps, then, the root cause of my distress is that the installer is supposed to migrate the directory but does not?

Additional detail: Here's what the folder list is for the fresh install.

Cache Folder
/Users/wdc/Library/Caches/SlimServer
Preferences Folder
/Users/wdc/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox
Plugin Folders
/Users/wdc/Library/Caches/SlimServer/InstalledPlugins/Plugins, /Users/wdc/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox/Plugins, /Library/Application Support/Squeezebox/Plugins, /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/Plugins
Squeezebox Server Log File

/Users/wdc/Library/Logs/Squeezebox/server.log

Scanner Log File

/Users/wdc/Library/Logs/Squeezebox/scanner.log

mherger
2011-04-19, 12:13
> Interestingly, we see that the Caches file is **STILL** SlimServer. So
> it utilized the contents of
> ~/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox and re-created the Cache
> directory you said was wrong.

You're right: there's a cachedir setting in server.prefs:

cachedir: /Users/mh/Library/Caches/Squeezebox

Shut SBS down, delete that line, and restart. It should build the new cache folder without a re-install.

--

Michael

wcattey
2011-04-19, 12:35
Yes, I found the line:

cachedir: /Users/wdc/Library/Caches/SlimServer

I deleted it.

There is ALSO a line:

librarycachedir: /Users/wdc/Library/Caches/SlimServer

I didn't delete that. Should I have?

mherger
2011-04-19, 12:45
> There is ALSO a line:
>
> librarycachedir: /Users/wdc/Library/Caches/SlimServer
>
> I didn't delete that. Should I have?

Yes. And check for other paths with SlimServer in them.

--

Michael

wcattey
2011-04-19, 13:15
It looks like removing that one line was sufficient.
I just re-opened the server prefs file, and that line changed the path to name Squeezebox instead of SlimServer.

Today at 4:00 PM, unlike yesterday at 4:00 PM, the System Preferences window did NOT pop up.
(I don't know why it popped up yesterday, I was running 7.5.4, the latest publicly available version.)

So now we wait for 7.5.5 or 7.6 to see what it does. I'll reply to this thread when I see definitive behavior.

Thanks VERY much for the help! Squeezebox Server just keeps getting better!