PDA

View Full Version : Tagging/naming schemes



2004-08-11, 05:12
Hi,

Slightly off-topic this, but what the heck...

What tagging/naming schemes are you folk using? And how have you got
slimserver configured to display the information? I'm particularly
interested in how you are dealing with classical music.

I rip my CDs using EAC and initially have the follwing naming scheme:

%c ~ %y (%n) %a ~ %i ~ %t ~ %d

This was inspired by some work a friend has done
(http://www.lameb.fsnet.co.uk/) and decodes to:

CD Title ~ Release year (track no.) ~ CD or track artist ~ ID3 music type
~ Track Title ~ cd artist

For example:

Permission To Land ~ 2003 (04) The Darkness ~ Popular ~ I Believe In A Thing
Called Love ~ The Darkness.flac

EAC also calls FLAC to compress the ripped wavs. I use the following FLAC
command line:

--compression-level-8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T
"date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s -T Comment="%e" -T
Encoder="Exact Audio Copy (Secure Mode) / FLAC 1.10"

This works fine for "normal" pop/rock albums. I've not thought about how it
will handle Various Artist albums - perhaps I ought to rip one to see??!!

It doesn't handle Classical albums at all well and I have to do a lot of
manual editing. In fact, I haven't really come up with a naming/tagging
scheme that will work satisfactorily yet.

Any classical tagging/naming scheme should have the following qualities:

- Artist should be the performer not the composer
- I need to distinguish between several different performances of the same
work by the same artist (e.g. several performances of Schubert's Wanderer
fantasy by Richter)
- the track/work/composer/performer(s) should all display "nicely" on the
SB display, i.e. slimserver should be able to decode the necessary
information from the file name / tags and produce sensible output.

Any suggestions?

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

Jason Holtzapple
2004-08-11, 07:20
robin-lists (AT) robinbowes (DOT) com wrote:

> What tagging/naming schemes are you folk using? And how have you got
> slimserver configured to display the information? I'm particularly
> interested in how you are dealing with classical music.

I don't change the defaults in slimserver for classical music. The
main changes I make are in splitting different works on a CD into
different "albums." If I want to preserve the running order of a
whole CD or set, I make a playlist.

> I rip my CDs using EAC and initially have the follwing naming scheme:
>
> %c ~ %y (%n) %a ~ %i ~ %t ~ %d
> ...
> It doesn't handle Classical albums at all well and I have to do a lot of
> manual editing. In fact, I haven't really come up with a naming/tagging
> scheme that will work satisfactorily yet.

Yes, this is too bad. I spent so much time at the beginning cleaning
up tags from cddb/freedb that now I just tag everything by hand.

> Any classical tagging/naming scheme should have the following qualities:
>
> - Artist should be the performer not the composer

I don't do this. See below.

> - I need to distinguish between several different performances of the same
> work by the same artist (e.g. several performances of Schubert's Wanderer
> fantasy by Richter)

My scheme may work with this if you place the year of the performance
somewhere in the album title. Although I think the next release of
slimserver may optionally sort albums by year.

> - the track/work/composer/performer(s) should all display "nicely" on the
> SB display, i.e. slimserver should be able to decode the necessary
> information from the file name / tags and produce sensible output.

My wife and I both think it's sensible. :)

> Any suggestions?

I only use id3v1 tag categories. I'll use id3v2 if necessary for longer
tags, but I don't use any of the new categories intended for classical music.
This is mostly for compatibility reasons. I just put Conductors, Orchestras,
Choirs, and key performers into the Album tag. Admittedly that leads to some
pretty long Albums. I would say I much prefer flexible vorbis comments but
those aren't available for mp3 files and you'd still have trouble with proper
software support. Here's a few examples of the scheme I use:

[slimp3]$ id3v2 -l schumann_-_piano_quintet_op_44_-_beaux_arts_trio_-_01_allegro_brillante.mp3
id3v1 tag info for schumann_-_piano_quintet_op_44_-_beaux_arts_trio_-_01_allegro_brillante.mp3:
Title : Allegro Brillante Artist: Schumann
Album : Piano Quintet In E Flat Major, Year: 1975, Genre: Classical (32)
Comment: Track: 1
id3v2 tag info for schumann_-_piano_quintet_op_44_-_beaux_arts_trio_-_01_allegro_brillante.mp3:
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Schumann
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Piano Quintet In E Flat Major, Op. 44 / Beaux Arts Trio / Philips 456324
TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Allegro Brillante
TCON (Content type): Classical (32)
TYER (Year): 1975
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
TSSE (Software/Hardware and settings used for encoding): LAME v3.90.3

[slimp3]$ id3v2 -l mozart_-_piano_concerto_no_11_k_413_k_387a_-_perahia_-_01_allegro.mp3
id3v1 tag info for mozart_-_piano_concerto_no_11_k_413_k_387a_-_perahia_-_01_allegro.mp3:
Title : Allegro Artist: Mozart
Album : Piano Concerto No. 11 In F Maj Year: 1977, Genre: Classical (32)
Comment: Track: 1
id3v2 tag info for mozart_-_piano_concerto_no_11_k_413_k_387a_-_perahia_-_01_allegro.mp3:
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Mozart
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Piano Concerto No. 11 In F Major, K. 413 (K. 387a) / Perahia / ECO / Sony 42243
TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Allegro
TCON (Content type): Classical (32)
TYER (Year): 1977
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
TSSE (Software/Hardware and settings used for encoding): LAME v3.90.3

[slimp3]$ id3v2 -l mozart_-_requiem_k_626_-_davis_-_01_requiem.mp3
id3v1 tag info for mozart_-_requiem_k_626_-_davis_-_01_requiem.mp3:
Title : Requiem Artist: Mozart
Album : Requiem, K. 626 / Davis / BBCS Year: 1967, Genre: Vocal (28)
Comment: Track: 1
id3v2 tag info for mozart_-_requiem_k_626_-_davis_-_01_requiem.mp3:
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Mozart
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Requiem, K. 626 / Davis / BBCSO / John Alldir Choir / Philips 438800
TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Requiem
TCON (Content type): Vocal (28)
TYER (Year): 1967
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
TSSE (Software/Hardware and settings used for encoding): LAME v3.90.3

Larry Truesdale
2004-08-11, 09:03
Hello,

I thought I was the only person using "~" as a delimiter! I don't use
blanks on either side though to keep the filename length down a
little.

I use "%D\%C\%D~%C~%Y~%N~%T" in EAC for normal albums.

I use "Various Artists\%C\Various Artists~%C~%Y~%N~%A~%T" for various
artists albums.

I haven't ripped any classical yet (I don't have much).

I use FLAC as an external compressor in EAC with "--best --verify
--tag=artist="%a" --tag=album="%g" --tag=tracknumber="%n"
--tag=title="%t" --tag=date="%y" --tag=genre="%m"
--tag=comment="EAC(v0.95pb5)->FLAC(v1.1.0,best)" --output-name=%d %s"

After ripping a few albums, I use FooBar2000 to create MP3s via LAME.
I've been writing V2 ID3 tags only so far, is there a drawback to
that? Why do I see so many people saying "I use V1 unless I have to
use V2"?

Larry


On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:12:00 +0100, robin-lists (AT) robinbowes (DOT) com
<robin-lists (AT) robinbowes (DOT) com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Slightly off-topic this, but what the heck...
>
> What tagging/naming schemes are you folk using? And how have you got
> slimserver configured to display the information? I'm particularly
> interested in how you are dealing with classical music.
>
> I rip my CDs using EAC and initially have the follwing naming scheme:
>
> %c ~ %y (%n) %a ~ %i ~ %t ~ %d
>
> This was inspired by some work a friend has done
> (http://www.lameb.fsnet.co.uk/) and decodes to:
>
> CD Title ~ Release year (track no.) ~ CD or track artist ~ ID3 music type
> ~ Track Title ~ cd artist
>
> For example:
>
> Permission To Land ~ 2003 (04) The Darkness ~ Popular ~ I Believe In A Thing
> Called Love ~ The Darkness.flac
>
> EAC also calls FLAC to compress the ripped wavs. I use the following FLAC
> command line:
>
> --compression-level-8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T
> "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s -T Comment="%e" -T
> Encoder="Exact Audio Copy (Secure Mode) / FLAC 1.10"
>
> This works fine for "normal" pop/rock albums. I've not thought about how it
> will handle Various Artist albums - perhaps I ought to rip one to see??!!
>
> It doesn't handle Classical albums at all well and I have to do a lot of
> manual editing. In fact, I haven't really come up with a naming/tagging
> scheme that will work satisfactorily yet.
>
> Any classical tagging/naming scheme should have the following qualities:
>
> - Artist should be the performer not the composer
> - I need to distinguish between several different performances of the same
> work by the same artist (e.g. several performances of Schubert's Wanderer
> fantasy by Richter)
> - the track/work/composer/performer(s) should all display "nicely" on the
> SB display, i.e. slimserver should be able to decode the necessary
> information from the file name / tags and produce sensible output.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> R.
> --
> http://robinbowes.com
>
>

Jason Holtzapple
2004-08-11, 09:27
Larry Truesdale wrote:
> Why do I see so many people saying "I use V1 unless I have to
> use V2"?

V1 is pretty much supported everywhere. With V2 you have at
least 3 versions in common use: 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 and support
for these varies pretty widely.

That said, playback is usually fine - if there's a problem it
is with reading the bits in the tag itself.

--Jason