PDA

View Full Version : ReplayGain and SB1

paltomare
2010-02-23, 13:10
I have an original SB1 and recently purchased a Vortexbox to be used with a Touch when it becomes available.
I am finding that all of the files I am ripping with the VB are much lower in volume as compared to my existing files or internet streams.
The VB folks tell me it ReplayGain and the fact that the SB1 cannot process it properly.

Is there a solution to get the volume levels up on the SB1 while I wait for the Touch.

Can I assume I will not have volume issues with the Touch?

Phil Leigh
2010-02-23, 13:45
Can I assume I will not have volume issues with the Touch?
yes

paltomare
2010-02-23, 14:16
yes

Good news, thanks.

So I just need to deal with it on the SB1 for now?

jth
2010-02-23, 14:45
What type of files? flac or mp3?

Replaygain is not supposed to change the volume of the files, just add
tags to give hints to the player to change volume.

There are options to force changes to the files for flac and mp3gain,
but I hope these aren't being used.

Phil Leigh
2010-02-23, 15:18
What type of files? flac or mp3?

Replaygain is not supposed to change the volume of the files, just add
tags to give hints to the player to change volume.

There are options to force changes to the files for flac and mp3gain,
but I hope these aren't being used.

They aren't.

paltomare
2010-02-23, 15:33
They aren't.

I notice this problem with my flac files, haven't checked my mp3's yet since I typically reserve them for my portable players.

I am not sure if Vortexbox is forcing the changes but since Phil says they are not perhaps he knows.

I can tell you the volume level is significantly lower with these files.

aubuti
2010-02-23, 15:42
Can't you simply turn off the ReplayGain adjustment at the SB1? On an SB2/SB3 it would be something like Settings > Audio > Volume Adjustment > None.

paltomare
2010-02-23, 15:44
Can't you simply turn off the ReplayGain adjustment at the SB1? On an SB2/SB3 it would be something like Settings > Audio > Volume Adjustment > None.

It seems not, the option is not available in SBS when streaming to my SB1. I was hoping someone had a workaround.

aubuti
2010-02-23, 15:50
It seems not, the option is not available in SBS when streaming to my SB1. I was hoping someone had a workaround.
Do you have other SBs that are not SB1? If not, you could temporarily move the RG tag info into tags with other names. Then you could move it back when you get your Touch or RG processing gets fixed on the SB1.

jth
2010-02-23, 15:54
These flacs are being converted to pcm or mp3 for his SB1 - either way
there is no replaygain being applied during the conversion - at least
for server version 7.4.1.

Either something went very wrong on the ripping side of things or your
older files are artificially loud.

paltomare
2010-02-23, 16:01
These flacs are being converted to pcm or mp3 for his SB1 - either way
there is no replaygain being applied during the conversion - at least
for server version 7.4.1.

Either something went very wrong on the ripping side of things or your
older files are artificially loud.

I wish I knew more about this stuff. I don't think the other tracks ar too loud since they came from different sources and are all about the same.

When playing the tracks ripped by the VB, SBS does display something that says "level reduce by -.85db" or soemthing like that, I'm not in front of my computer at the moment.

Seems to me the SB1 is not handling the info properly, or SBS is not transcoding it properly to mp3.

paltomare
2010-02-23, 16:09
Do you have other SBs that are not SB1? If not, you could temporarily move the RG tag info into tags with other names. Then you could move it back when you get your Touch or RG processing gets fixed on the SB1.

The only other potential player I have is the VB itself but I don't have it set up as a player.

I don't completely understand what you discribe above but it seems as if it would need to be done on a track by track basis.

I'm thinking I need to deal with this until the Touch is available.

Thanks.

aubuti
2010-02-23, 16:21
I don't completely understand what you discribe above but it seems as if it would need to be done on a track by track basis.
After seeing jth's comment I'm not sure my workaround would work, but here's what I have in mind. Use a good tagging program like mp3tag (freeware from www.mp3tag.de/en/). Set it to display the RG tag information (see the guide in the Slim Devices wiki - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Mp3tagGuide). Then use mp3tag's "actions", which are like macros, to move the RG info into new, temporary tags.

It's best to test this on a few tracks at a time. Then once you're sure it is doing what you expect you can let it loose on your entire library. As always, be sure you have a backup of the library. Especially when batch editing tags.

paltomare
2010-02-23, 16:30
After seeing jth's comment I'm not sure my workaround would work, but here's what I have in mind. Use a good tagging program like mp3tag (freeware from www.mp3tag.de/en/). Set it to display the RG tag information (see the guide in the Slim Devices wiki - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Mp3tagGuide). Then use mp3tag's "actions", which are like macros, to move the RG info into new, temporary tags.

It's best to test this on a few tracks at a time. Then once you're sure it is doing what you expect you can let it loose on your entire library. As always, be sure you have a backup of the library. Especially when batch editing tags.

Thanks for the explanation!